The Future of Final Fantasy

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

The Future of Final Fantasy

Postby Belthazar » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:50 pm

I remember hearing something about Final Fantasy XII being the last game of the series but I'm not sure if its true. Can anyone confirm it and possibly what will be the future of Square?
"To discover the truth, you must be able to accept it no matter how good or how bad it is." -.Hack Sign
Belthazar
S2 Hilyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:56 pm

Believe me. As long as Square is alive there will be Final Fantasy games, no matter how bad they are.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:08 pm

They have trademarks up to FF19, but who knows...
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:08 am

I wouldn't be too concerned about the future of Final Fantasy . . . that's one franchise that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I do have this question, as only a casual player of the FF series. What's the common thread connecting the whole series? Is is plot-related? Gameplay-related? You'll have to forgive me, I only really played the first few games back on NES and SNES (I hear the boos and hisses already), and it doesn't seem like the later flashier games have much to do with the older ones. And I did see the FF movie, and figured there couldn't possibly be a connection with the rest of the games.

And also - isn't it a bit ironic that a game with the title "Final Fantasy" . . . is now entering its 12th iteration (not very final if you ask me . . . :wink: )
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:07 am

Though each Final Fantasy story is independent, many themes and elements of gameplay recur throughout the series. From the strong influence of history, literature, religion and mythology on the story to the frequent reappearance of certain monsters and items, these shared elements provide a unifying framework to the series. Some key objects and concepts that have appeared in more than one Final Fantasy game include:

Airships — Powerful airborne vessels which usually serve as a primary mode of transportation for the player. In many games, most notably Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy IX, the presence of airships is a key component to the story itself.
Character classes and the Job system — Playable character classes have included the Fighter; White, Black, Red, and Blue Mages; Monk; Thief; and Mime. Even in games where the player is not given the choice of choosing class alignment, these classes often play an important background role in the story. Additionally, several installments in the series (Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy V, and Final Fantasy Tactics) have utilized a "Job" system wherein the player is able to switch character classes in between battles. In Final Fantasy X-2, the "Dresssphere" system actually allowed a player to switch a character's job during the middle of a fight.
Magical styles (see also Final Fantasy magic) — Magic in the Final Fantasy series is generally divided into different schools, which are usually named after a specific color. White magic and black magic represent healing/support and attack magic, respectively, while red magic incorporates elements of both healing and attack magic, at reduced effectiveness. Later additions have included blue magic (sometimes referred to as "Lore" or "Enemy skill"), which incorporates specific special attacks learned from monsters, and time/space magic, which includes status affecting spells such as "Haste," "Slow," or "Warp."
Status ailments and cures: Characters in Final Fantasy games are usually subject to a number of standard "status ailments" which cause deleterious effects, including silence, poison, petrification and confusion. While these are present in many console RPGs, Final Fantasy also has a standard list of items which may be used to cure specific ailments; for example the "Echo Screen" cures silence and "Soft" cures petrification as well as magical spells such as "Esuna" or "Panacea".
Creatures/monsters — Creatures such as Chocobos and Moogles have appeared in most games in the series. Certain monsters also reappear frequently, including Goblins, Tonberrys and Cactuars. Lastly, summoned monsters (also known as Espers, Guardian Forces, Eidolons, or Aeons) such as Bahamut, Shiva, Ifrit, Leviathan and Ramuh have appeared in almost every title in the series.
Character names — A character named "Cid" has been present in every Final Fantasy game since Final Fantasy II. Although he is never the same individual, he is usually presented as an owner, creator, and/or pilot of airships. The motion picture Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within also featured a character named "Sid," presumably an alternate spelling of the more traditional "Cid." In a similar vein, characters named Biggs and Wedge (homages to the Star Wars characters Biggs Darklighter and Wedge Antilles) have appeared in Final Fantasy VI to Final Fantasy X-2 (inclusive).
Crystals — Most Final Fantasy games feature some obscure reference to elemental crystals (each representing earth, air, fire, and water), and the stories of Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance revolve around such Crystals.
Rebellion — Story-wise, many entries in the Final Fantasy series feature a plotline about rebellion against either an economical, political, or religious power. For example, Final Fantasy II 's story involves a revolt against the Emperor of Palamecia, Final Fantasy VI 's plot begins with resistance to Emporer Gestahl's rule, Final Fantasy VII 's story starts with an attack against Shinra Corp., Final Fantasy VIII 's plotline revolves around restraining evil Sorceresses, and Final Fantasy X 's story involves revealing the true nature of the religion of Yu-Yevon, to name a few.

From Wikipedia.com

You can get anything from Wikipedia...
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:23 pm

Cool! Thanks, O GreatChickenMan. That really helps.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Burning_Flame » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:49 pm

o and theres one more thing that no Final Fantasy is without.........a Cid
Burning_Flame
S2 Corlyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:25 pm

Burning_Flame wrote:o and theres one more thing that no Final Fantasy is without.........a Cid

Apparently you did not read the part where it said "A character named "Cid" has been present in every Final Fantasy game since Final Fantasy II"
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Burning_Flame » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:45 pm

that would be the part i missed indeed..........
Burning_Flame
S2 Corlyn

Postby Telephalsion » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:56 pm

It's a good thing, but it's been overused
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Burning_Flame » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:09 pm

But its always fun to start a new one and see who the new cid is
Burning_Flame
S2 Corlyn

Postby CJ » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:17 am

You missed FFVII that has materia in in which are pretty much christals anyway.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby Burning_Flame » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:34 pm

How many Final Fantasys are there........
I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XI, Tactics, Tactics advance, mistic quest...... thats 15 but i probally missed atleast 1
Last edited by Burning_Flame on Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burning_Flame
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:08 pm

You mist Cristal Chronicals, I don't know of any others you missed though.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Belthazar » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:36 am

Burning_Flame Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:34 pm Post subject:

How many Final Fantasys are there........
I, II, III, IIII IV, V, VI, VII, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XI, Tactics, Tactics advance, mistic quest...... thats 15 but i probally missed atleast 1

Sage Of The Wise Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:08 pm Post subject:

You mist Cristal Chronicals, I don't know of any others you missed though.

To me it seemed that the final fantasies without Roman Numerals were all pretty boring. I mean personally i got a gamecube and the best final fantasy game i got to play was Crystal Chronicles and that sucked. My personal favorite was 8 but i dont know it seems that Square was starting to mess the games up after 9.
"To discover the truth, you must be able to accept it no matter how good or how bad it is." -.Hack Sign
Belthazar
S2 Hilyn

Next

Return to Gaming