xbox 360 price

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:31 am

CJ wrote:I remember my dad telling me that Nintendo and Sony used to be making consoles together or something and that nintendo didn't like the fact that Sony wanted to let SNES play CDs so they split up.

Well, it was more like somebody breached their contract or something. Other than that, yeah, Sony was going to make a CD-reading attachment for the SNES.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Fitz Tayo » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:35 am

CJ wrote: Microsoft would be like OH NO THATS OUR SEXBOX DOWN THE SHITTER. :)

But who would actually care if that happened?
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:23 pm

Iheard it was somthing like that after Sony had finished making it for Nintendo they wouldn't give it up and made the PLaystation with it. Someone should probably look up what happend.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:56 pm

From Wikipedia: "Towards the end of the SNES's life, Nintendo was in talks with two different companies to develop a CD-ROM-based peripheral for the console. Ultimately, negotiations with both Sony and Philips fell through, and the two companies went on to develop their own consoles based on their initial dealings with Nintendo (the PlayStation and the CD-i)."
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Impossible » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:04 pm

The CD-i had some Nintendo games on it, though. Well, games based on Nintendo franchises. Shitty ones.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:24 pm

Haha. "Hotel Mario". I played it in a store once. It was actually pretty cool. You went around from room to room searching for Princess Toadstool n' stuff/
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:30 pm

i saw some of the cut scenes from the cd-i zelda games, its so horribly bad its funny, bringing such memorable lines such as "I'm going to bomb me some dodongos" and "I'm so hungry I could eat an Octorock".
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Belthazar » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:30 am

I was reading on the nintendo's new console revolution and rumor has it that its controllers might be gyroscopic, meaning any movement the controller makes will somehow affact the game you are playing. It sounds cool and all but I don't see how that could be useful.
"To discover the truth, you must be able to accept it no matter how good or how bad it is." -.Hack Sign
Belthazar
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:25 pm

That could make for some pretty interesting racing games.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:16 pm

I had the Link and Zelda games for CD-i... the dialogue scenes were very irritating, but the gameplay was pretty basic.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Wellsy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:08 am

Sage Of The Wise wrote:
As far as the next-gen consoles - let's not get in a pissing contest over which is better . . . PLEASE! At least not at this point. There's nothing even out yet, which makes most of this topic fairly irrelevant.

Whether intentional or not, the fact you dont even mention the Revolution or Nintendo in general makes it look like you already favor Sony and Microsoft, making all your talk about how we shouldn't be favoring one over the other very hypocritical.

Huh . . . actually, you're right, Sage, my bad. Revolution might totally own both. So for the same reason, I'm going to withhold judgement on it as well. I will say that Gamecube IS a decent system, and if they make an awesome new console, more power to 'em. My main point was I'm not a fan of anybody hatin' another's console choice. As I said, none are shit.

If you're going to buy an Xbox 360, you have to get the model with the hard drive. Didn't that lack of hard drive screw over Square with some of its FF titles after the PS2 re-design?
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Aegis » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:19 am

Impossible wrote:Advice: Don't get the XBox Three-Shitty version of the system. The lower price is just there so Microsoft can sell it to complete and utter tools.

And don't both the PS3 and XB360 processors actually allow for no progression in AI whatsoever, because they're too busy focusing on the fucking graphics? I swear, someday I'm going to go on a killing spree of all the casual/mainstream/poser/graphics-obsessed/Halo-playing gamers that are essentially responsible for this. I miss the days when a new system was supposed to mean better games, not WORSE games with better graphics... It doesn't help that this only contributes to the huge issue of non-Capcom games being too fucking easy.

Impossible, you have redeemed yourself for flaming Teenr0cker for no apparent reason. I nominate this post for the awesome post of the week award.

However, these people are not the mainstream, as you can see from most of the posters in this forum. That's just a pessimistic common misconception. Neither are they the casual market, casual gamers are people who play computer games to kill time when their bored or to, say, get rid of writer's block at the office. But yes, these graphics-obsessed people, about 1/3rd of gamers, WILL be trouble for my indipendant game dev team. X-Box pisses me off because they're just like EA... "NEW! Awesome feature in the new game! 30,000 polygon BOOBS, with a thing in the chip to make them jiggle realisticly! With surround sound RAP music BLARING at you! We're COOL! You heard it here first folks." I mean, yes Halo is a good game but it's the only one for the console. Sony used to be infinately awesome, but since about FF10 or maybe Twisted Metal Black the have sorta been losing it. Nintendo focuses entirely on handhelds and aims games at 4 year olds. I've given up on consoles. PC forever!

Also, better AI isn't nessicarilly too important, but physics is. That may sound like something about graphics but it's not. Ever played Red Faction? (I don't know which Red Faction.) You know how much the fully destructible terrain adds to the gameplay? Half-life 2. Gary's mod? Awesome. AI is important yes but those super-AI's that everyone talks about would be too hard for anyone but a Napoleon or a Lee.

Yeah, and these awesome graphics? Look at the difference between a 1985 game and a 1995 game, then look at the difference between a 1995 game and a 2005 game. Yeah, their REALLY making progress.
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

<Jeramyu> I'm going to mistranslate our own anime, and piss ourselves off.
Aegis
S3 Hilyn

Postby Glenn47 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:20 pm

Once again, Glenn comes in with an opinion that kicks a decent amount of ass. Let me direct your attention to this little tidbit of info-

http://www.games.net/gamecube/109870/index.shtml

The Nintendo Revolution will be backwards compatible with NES, SNES, Gamecube, and quite possibly Gameboy games. And the arguement that the games are lame, shitty, silly, etc. can be countered with the fact that the Gamecube was a family console. It's intended for kids of all ages, while PS2 was for teenr0ckers, and XBox, in my opinion, was basically made for people who LOOOOOOVE violence. Gamecube's games based on Pokemon are for the 8-year-olds who still love Pokemon, and the rest of the games kick ass for anybody who gives them a shot.

PS3 will be good. They will make new RPG's, and if you shoot at the broad side of a barn enough times, eventually you'll hit it. (For the slow- If you keep making RPG's, eventually you'll get a good one.) They ought to get some of the old game creators back into the buisiness, like the Dream Team, who made Chrono Trigger/Cross.

XBox 360 is a way for Microsoft to make more money, seriously. There will be new FPS's with the same gameplay as 5 other FPS's. Then there will be about 4 great games that everyone plays, and everyone claims to be better than everyone else. And just to say- Need For Speed sucks, but they had it on N64 too.

There, that's the truth on all subjects, except the Xbox, which was pure opinion, cuz I don't care much for it.
Gil212 wrote:ps. I'm a girl btw
^_^
Glenn47
S1 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:26 pm

I agree with the XBox thing... EVERY TIME I talk to an XBox fan, the only thing I hear is "HALO HALO HALO!" How can you spend a couple hundred dollars or so on a system just for one or two games? And all the OTHER games on there are just carbon copy FPS'.

Revolution will play N64 games, not GB games.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Forerunner » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:14 am

pfft!
I know over 25 people with an xbox ond only one of them ONLY has halo... and it was slipknot and we all know he was/is a moron.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming