The Revolution Controller has finally been anounced

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

The Revolution Controller has finally been anounced

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:52 pm

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651320p1.html

What do you guys think? The idea is great, but it all depends on how they decide to use it, I hope it works out.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Lord_Ehrgeiz » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:02 pm

Controller acts like a mouse in real-space 3D.

isn't it too far?? i mean that people with bad 3d orientation will die with this thing in hands...
in order to assess the reality of life, it is necessary at least once to die
Lord_Ehrgeiz
S2 Hilyn

Postby RentACop » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:34 pm

It looks retarded. But, of course, a few months ago I would've told you that the DS was a retarded idea as well which just goes to show I talk out of my ass a lot. I am expressing reservation as to how this will effect cross-platform games, it looks like it could cut itself off from a lot of games...and simultaneously ensure it gets a lot of exclusives. But again, the ass thing.
Maybe if you know your true love is about to move away to college or something, you can stick this shit in the stereo and make the moment last while at the same time listening to pussies whine about bitch shit. Just like you.
RentACop
S2 Hilyn

Postby CJ » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:15 pm

Uhh, creative, but...it would be a bit difficult to play games with, well that is just my opinion.

NINTENDO CHANGES THEIR CONTROLLERS TO MUCH, ALL OF THEIR CONTROLLERS ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, BUT IT IS SO WORTH IT BECAUSE ALMOST ALL OF THEIR GAMES ARE FUN.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby Forerunner » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:05 am

Whatever you say. To me it's just a control. Stick a game in the console, stick to control in my hands, and I';; whoop ass at whatever it is... unless it's one of those real life simulation racing games.... I just cant get the hang of them.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:07 am

I still say nintendo DS is a retarded idea...
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby HolsteinCow » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:14 am

A remote control as a game control.

That definately caused a revolution... in my stomach.
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." (Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio)
HolsteinCow
S5 Hilyn

Postby Belthazar » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:03 am

I know i'm gonna get a nod from impossible when i say this, this new controller might make zelda games more fun. But im still not sure whether revolution has created agood enough impression so far.
"To discover the truth, you must be able to accept it no matter how good or how bad it is." -.Hack Sign
Belthazar
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sarcasm » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:56 am

This will make RTS games possible without them being horribly retarded...!
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Forerunner » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:53 am

I have no reason, no experience, and no justification but...

Greatchickenman wrote:I still say nintendo DS is a retarded idea...

...for some reason I agree with this.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:28 pm

Well, the rev is supposed to be able to use gcn controllers too, many some games will just use that if need be. I can't tell if the controler is ingenious or just plain stupid, but my gut tells me to trust Nintendo on this one. Oh, and there are alot better articles on the controller now then the one I linked, that was just the only one up at the time.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Belthazar » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:41 pm

Did any article you read say when the expected release date will be?
"To discover the truth, you must be able to accept it no matter how good or how bad it is." -.Hack Sign
Belthazar
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:27 pm

2006, thats all I know.

And for those who are complaining about its "uniqueness":
It's easy to believe that third parties could be alienated by this device. However, the good news is that Nintendo has thought of that potential drawback and taken measures to address it. The Big N has developed a conventional controller shell that, according to executives, looks more like a Wave Bird. The "pointer" remote can be inserted into this shell so that more traditional games can be enjoyed as they always have. Obviously, it will be this shell that enables players to experience Super NES and N64 games on the platform. The even better news is that because the sensory functionality of the device remains operational even when it's in the shell, games like Madden could actually be expanded. Imagine, for instance, having access to all of the controls of a standard controller plus 3D movement options. Icon passing just got a whole lot easier.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:28 pm

That page Sage linked to was kind of bad.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651301p1.html - This has all the pictures and basic info.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html - This is the hands-on stuff.
http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/ ... ids_1.html - And this is the video, which shows some of the potential.

A few random, unrelated things:

I don't want to swing around a remote to play Zelda. Do you have ANY idea how exhausting that will be?

FINALLY, RTS games are actually possible on consoles.

Nintendo might refuse to make Mario Paint DS, but... WHAT IF WE HAD 3D MARIO PAINT?! ...Is that even possible?

ALL IMPRESSIONS OF THE CONTROLLER so far have been positive. I just think that's worth mentioning. The people who have actually USED it, loved it. Metroid Prime 3 will undeniably be FUCKING AWESOME.

The whole two-part controller thing will take some getting used to. I like having an even amount of weight on the left and right, that's why symmetrical controllers (in shape, not buttons) work. Will this still be comfortable?

You will be able to get SHELLS of SNES, N64 and GCN controllers, and place the remote thing inside them. So developers can continue to make games with the GameCube controller if they want, but making use of the 3D space thing. Or just make multiplatform games for the GCN controller, which is still compatible with the Revolution. Keep in mind, having a mouse for a console is one thing. THREE DIMENSIONAL MOVEMENT DETECTION is a whole new ball game, and sounds Nintendorgasmic.

I have a whole rant about what my main problems with the controller are, but I'll save it for later. For the most part, it looks awesome, but it needs a rechargable battery as well. And apparently, Super Mario 128 (whatever they end up calling it) is heavily centered around use of the controller... I wonder what that means...
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:31 pm

That page Sage linked to was kind of bad.

Yeah, I said that, but it was the only one I knew of that was up at the time.

I don't want to swing around a remote to play Zelda. Do you have ANY idea how exhausting that will be?

I don't think the whole game would involve swinging it around, maby just boss battles or somthing.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Next

Return to Gaming