The Revolution Controller has finally been anounced

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Forerunner » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:59 am

We all know what this is going to degenerate into if somebody doesn't interfere. So why don't both of you just stfu?

How would you describe MP and MP2? I have an xbox and a GC, but only one TV. Now I'm going to buy another TV and hook them up seperatly instead of on the same TV so that 2 people can have fun.
However I only have like 4 games on GC which means I need more.
One of my friends compared how much GameCube fans love MP and MP2 to how much xbox fans love halo and halo2, which mean that if I was going to get a game I should get that... but I would rather wait and preorder a copy of Twilight Princess.
Which leads back to here and now. How good is MP and MP2 and shoud I buy them now, or buy zelda: TP later?
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Jabbo » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:12 am

Well, I haven't actually played Metroid Prime 2, for some reason, but Metroid Prime 1 was one of the best games I have ever played as far as "immersion" goes. The world is quite intoxicating and you feel like you're actually there most of the time (except when you keep falling off in some room)... but Zelda is Zelda. And Twilight Princess looks good. So I guess it just depends on what you like.

Oh, and don't compare Metroid Prime and Halo, because the only thing they have in common is the camera angle that they're played from.
The Way FAQ (Now updated, more or less, for Episode 6)
Jabbo
S2 Hilyn

Postby Forerunner » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:59 am

:roll: Don't you people listen? I seem to always have to repeat myself when it comes to halo or any other subject which almost the entire population of the Forum disagrees with me on.
I wrote:compared how much GameCube fans love MP and MP2 to how much xbox fans love halo and halo2

It isn't a comparison of halo and Metroid. It's a comparison of the popularity of the games to their relative communities.
What I meant was Xbox players love Halo like infinitely and GameCube players love Metroid just as much. So If I wanted a game on gamecube that I would enjoy as much as Halo, it would be Metroid Prime.

EDIT:
Whoops, I wrote:It's a comparison of the popularity of the games to their relative communities.

I don't expect those of you with diminished mental capacity will understand that. So I'll say it straight for those simpletons:
Halo is awesome and apparently Metroid is just as good, even though they're on different consoles.

EDIT:
Yes, I am indicating my intellectual superiority. No, you do not point it out and look like a moron in the process.
...and for those of you who may be wondering, no I am not pissed off or annoyed, or even slightly irritated, but I do feel like a tool for overdoing this.
(*STAB*'s Burning_Flame for the hell of it.)
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:33 am

Actually, the Halo => MP, Halo 2 => MP2 analogy is pretty much bull. A LOT of people didn't like MP2 as much as the first. I hang around in a pretty big metroid community, and it seems to be the consensus that more people like MP than MP2.

Mostly because of:
-Gimmicky light and dark world
-Beam ammo
-Gimmicky items that often times only have a few uses (Like the grapple beam in MP1, for example)
-Forgettable bosses
-Stupid dark world
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Forerunner » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:51 am

Oh. *keeping silent in order to preserve remnants of dignity*

...at least I got my answer I guess. Zelda: TP it is.
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:16 am

Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 are both fantastic games, and they beat the shit out of Halo and Halo 2 in a good few ways. Rather than just focusing on repetitive FPS gameplay, they merge the shooting aspect with an Adventure game, and it works perfectly for Metroid. They have a LOT more variety - instead of just shooting shit, you shoot shit AND you have to focus a lot on dodging, especially in multiplayer (adds a whole new level of strategy), and you solve puzzles, and you fight unique enemies in different ways, and you explore a world and look for secrets, and fight awesome bosses, and so on. And in terms of immersion and atmosphere, they're some of the best games you'll ever find - every single room is unique and distinguishing.

Actually, from my experience, I've seen a lot of people say they thought MP2 improved on MP a lot. I liked MP2, but for me it was missing something that MP had to keep it heaps of fun. There were a few annoying things... The existance of Dark Aether made navigating anywhere extremely difficult, even with the map. Finding the ****ing keys was worse than finding artifacts, especially if you happened to miss any of the craftily hidden scans that gave you the required clues. A lot of enemies were just annoying, rather than fun to fight (like the guys that make you restart Samus' system and are FAR too common late in the game).

I've really mentioned most of the must-haves on the system in this topic. How can you still be asking what GCN games to get? >_<
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Forerunner » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:43 am

*shrug* I guess I'm just thick...
*rereads previous posts. Pauses. Erases and rewrites*
Nah... You all mention crazy and far out titles that an apparently game-deprived soul like my own has never heard of. Combine that with the fact that you guy's know so many different games and the fact that I just couldnt be bohered writing them down, and you realise that I have no hope in hell of remembering anything.

There's MULTIPLAYER!!! O_o I think this is the game for me.

And 3 cheers for Impossible who managed to compare something with Halo and not absolutely go crazy with-the-flaming-of-the-game and the-bagging-of-the-xbox-console-which-it-is-on... well, at least not enough for me to feel the need to defend my favorite title.
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:01 am

Um, these games aren't crazy, it's just that you're unfamiliar with them because you've probably played barely any games from Japan. Yeah, good games come from Japan, did you know that? Like, Nintendo, one of the few companies willing to focus on quality and innovation above profit (probably because they'll make billions of yen whatever the hell they do while Sony and MS are still in the red).

Metroid Prime 2 is the only one with multiplayer, and it could have used a bit more fleshing out, but it's fun. Both games have a single player adventure which beats the shit out of the single player of any other FPS known to man - possibly because MP isn't just an FPS.

And for the record, Halo is still dull and repetitive, and the XBox still has barely any exclusive, non-FPS games which are actually worth buying. But then, I suppose XBox games can't be judged by the same standard of quality for what's "worth buying" as Nintendo games are. :P
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Forerunner » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:43 am

...you just couldn't help yourself, could you? :roll:
Well I think I will get MP and MP2. Twilight Princess will kick ass, but I can always get it later.
And yeah, when it comes to games and anime; I agree that Japan whoops ass.

...still think that pokemon channel was a completely retarded idea though. :P But they made up for that by bringing out WW and having OoT.
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Belthazar » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:14 pm

i don't care for most first person shooting games but i do like those you can work together with a partner. Like i never really liked Counter Strike like everyone else but I did have fun playing with friends online.
"To discover the truth, you must be able to accept it no matter how good or how bad it is." -.Hack Sign
Belthazar
S2 Hilyn

Previous

Return to Gaming