31%
Purple Tentacle
46%
*STAB*!?!
23%

Total votes : 13

$10,000 of dumbassery

Postby Flibbo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:49 pm

I sit here covered in the blood of a buisnessman i met when i went to the shops. i killed him, and im horrifyed by what i have become. For the first time, i understand that i have been affected by violent videogames.

This attack was propted mainly by playing a game called "Defamation of Character: A Jack Thompson Murder Simulator". This is a game based on an idea laid out by Jack Thompson. After downloading and playing the game i felt thirsty, so i went to the shop to buy a drink. This is when i saw a buisnessman that bore a striking resemblance to Paul Eibler (the man to which you are geared to kill in said game). Without second thought i picked up the nearest blunt instrument and proceeded to beat him with it. I nicked an artery and he bled out covering me in blood. As he lay there drowning in his own blood and paralyzed by a spinal injury sustained in the beating, i hit him again. And then again and again until my arms hurt and yet i continued to beat him with a bloodthirsty rage that filled my very soul.

So i've decided to sue Jack Thompson for damaging my fragile and impressionable teenage Psyche. It is also my opinion that this travesty of justice is completly Jack's fault and that i have no free will of my own and can only be influenced by media.

PERSONAL RESPONSABILITY NO MORE!

Seriously though, what are your thoughts on all this crap Jack Thompson has been involved in recently (or on Jack in general)?
Tele wrote:Define a cool genital wart.
Flibbo
S1 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:25 pm

Well, yesterday my brother (whos 6) did grab a knife and told my mom he was going to stab her.

But other then that, its all crap.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:30 pm

If you've been following the Penny-Arcade blog posts for the past few days, you can see just how nuts it got.

Apparently, Mr. Thompson decided he was joking about the $10,000 after the game was made. The best part is, the guys at Penny Arcade decided to donate the $10,000 for him, in Jack Thompson's name... Ouch. That's a huge burn on so many different levels.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Flibbo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:01 pm

Gotta love those guys.

I've got to say This made a good point. How can someone whos job it is to convince a group of jurors that he is right be SO bad at making decent points. This guy has been verbally outsmarted by (his words) pinheaded gamers so much that you really have to wonder how he manages to win anything without resorting to the "Won't someone please think of the poor children" ploy.

He is such a hypocrite. Esspecially when he asked Gabe if He'd done anything for charity (which of course he has). Who is he to talk when he holds charity to ransom, and then doesn't deliver?
Flibbo
S1 Corlyn

Postby Belthazar » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:04 pm

I think people who blame video games for their actions are looking for some kind of excuse. But at some level kids that play games should be taught that the games aren't real and understand the difference between reality and fiction. Otherwise, they can become psychologically disturbed but even for that to happen one must be unable to have any train of thought.
"To discover the truth, you must be able to accept it no matter how good or how bad it is." -.Hack Sign
Belthazar
S2 Hilyn

Postby Telephalsion » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:28 pm

I doubt this will ahve any significance, there are more gamers than active voters in america, unless I'm sorely mistaken, take taht in accoutn and the gamers can unite and kick any govermens ass. :P
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby ForbiddenShadow » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:56 pm

I think they should put a law towards video games
such laws being:
1. No retards
e.g. "it's the games fault".etc
2.No wusses
e.g. "i lost because of - insert lame excuse here-"
3. You have to be like over 12ish
4. No retards
5. Must actually know HOW to play video games; no complaing about "o i didn't know u could do that" or any calls of anfairness

just to name a few
Blood is driping from the veins
Of all the enemies that I have slain
As I see their eyes turn to black
The remourse for killing is all I lack
ForbiddenShadow
S1 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:35 pm

I agree with everything but your 3rd rule, if they pass the reast of the rules, I dont care how old they are.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Belthazar » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:45 pm

Sage Of The Wise wrote:I agree with everything but your 3rd rule, if they pass the reast of the rules, I dont care how old they are.

i agree most of the time. I think age shouldn't determine which games we can play, but i was reading an article where 8 and 9 year-olds were buying games like grand-theft auto, and i gotta say those kids should probably not be able to buy grand theft auto. I would have said ok if their parents bought it with them and understood fully what the game contains because parents can raise their kids the way they feel, but the article said the kids had money and came and bought it with a parent who didnt even look at the game. Then again i'd say its the parents fault not the video game creators.
"To discover the truth, you must be able to accept it no matter how good or how bad it is." -.Hack Sign
Belthazar
S2 Hilyn

Postby Impossible » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:15 am

The Penny Arcade thing was hilarious, spreading across three lots of news posts (the second of which had a comic with it). Especially when they told him about their charity, which has raised half a million dollars in two years, while Jackass Thompson was only offering $10,000.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Forerunner » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:47 am

yer, once again... wtf is with the '42'? :?
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:51 am

Forerunner wrote:yer, once again... wtf is with the '42'? :?

The wrong meaning of life.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Flibbo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:57 am

hey, don't badmouth the poll!

For anyone who hasn't seen Gabe's latest news post, Check it out.

I <3 Gabe
Flibbo
S1 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:13 pm

That guy can't seriously be a lawyer if he doesn't even understand libel or slander laws. I had a basic law course as a freshman, and I still probably know more about legal proceedings than he does. I want Gabe to ASK him to sue them, just because it would be funny how quickly he'd get his ass laughed out of court.

Haha.

Seriously, you'd think after Ebaum's world, these pious legal assholes would learn that they can't fuck with the most popular websites on the internet.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Flibbo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:34 pm

However, it appears Thompson did neglect to send the letter to one very important party. As of 9:55 a.m. PDT, the Seattle Police Department confirmed to GameSpot that it had not received any such fax from Thompson.

ow... my mind...
Flibbo
S1 Corlyn

Next

Return to Gaming