Age of Empires III

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Age of Empires III

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:03 pm

Anyone else been playing this game? I got it a little late because I kept forgetting to ask someone to pick it up for me, but it's pretty damn fun. At first it seemed a bit boring, but then you realize how fun it is to unleash artillery on infantry. The home city thing seems pretty cool too, it adds a lot of things that seem to be missing when you first start.

http://www.ageofempires3.com <---- The game for those of you who have somehow never heard of it.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:35 pm

I did consider getting before realising I'd probably not play it that much. Though I might get it sometime at Christmas to give me something to do on top of all the christmassy fun.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby ForbiddenShadow » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:37 pm

I've been looking at screenshots from AOEIII and that gamne look intense; the graphics look insane.

Is this game that good? or just souped up screenshots?
Blood is driping from the veins
Of all the enemies that I have slain
As I see their eyes turn to black
The remourse for killing is all I lack
ForbiddenShadow
S1 Hilyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:29 pm

The website has a demo that's not that bad. As far as graphics and the physics engine, it's awesome, buildings burn and fall apart, cannonballs roll, infantry get blown away by cannons. The ship battles are much more impressive than AoE II, warships fire cannon rounds from their sides like they should, they have a special ability to fire all cannons at once which is pretty good for wrecking other ships, you see masts and chunks of the ship get blown off.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby The_Oppressor » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:22 pm

Like a few million other people, i have played the first two AOE games and i have been waiting for quite some time for this to come out but i unfortunately don't have enough money to get it at the moment, *sigh*...
God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world
The_Oppressor
Wanderer

Postby Cryora » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:39 am

You're going to need like a GeForce 6800 to run the game with great graphics smoothly.

The 6600 won't even do. With that card, I have to turn shadows off to get rid of that annoying response time lag that happens whenever I scroll around the map. Without shadows, AOEIII graphics are crappier than AOEIIs. Then the gameplay alone might make you frown. If you're going to get this game for the graphics, make sure you have a 6800 or better.

But if you want a RTS with great gameplay and nice graphics that doesn't require a high-end comp, Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War + Dawn of War Expansion Winter Assault is the game to play.

If you just want big battles without resource management, play Rome: Total War.
Cryora
Plyn

Postby HolsteinCow » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:00 pm

I would have compared it to AoK but all I ever played in that game were RPGs so I didn't get the full experience. But it's pretty good as a game on its own, I just need to start using the hotkeys. And I need to find a use for all the damn wood I have.
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." (Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio)
HolsteinCow
S5 Hilyn

Postby HolsteinCow » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:25 pm

Well even if this game is a bit short, you have to buy it for the skirmisher page in the history section though.

You haven't lived until you've seen a guy in a top hat with a handlebar mustache and crotch-tight leather pants.
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." (Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio)
HolsteinCow
S5 Hilyn

Return to Gaming