Exploring the AO gameworld (no 56k)

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Exploring the AO gameworld (no 56k)

Postby HolsteinCow » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:22 pm

I'm playing Anarchy Online for free right now. It's basically Everquest, but set on another planet. I recently leveled up to level 15(the maximum level is 220) as an h. nano(generic weak spellcaster race) Adventurer (jack of all trades, can buff, debuff, heal, change into animals). Seeing as how I've wanted to do this for a while now, I've decided to don my white trenchcoat and dual pistols and explore the gameworld.

This is me, on top of a balcony in West Athens. You can't see it from the picture but I'm wearing a full suit of future armor under the coat.

These are the outskirts of Athens. I decided to explore this way instead of west, because while the west is a generic green forest with bunnies and shit, eastwards is a ruined post-apoctalyptic city in which only the toughest survive.

And they even have their own version of Stonehenge. FUCK YES.

After going southeast for a while, I come upon this gem. A city. Not as impressive as Athens but worthy in its own right.

I loved this part. My experiences with Graal Online(that game was so awesome when I was 12) tell me that there is always something under the waterfall.

In this case, it was a flight of stairs. Also, I took a picture of this weird-ass animal.

Up the staircase lies a town the main attractions of this town include:

A crashed alien spaceship,

Kiddy rides(I never have enough money for these fuckers, wtf),

Ecoterrorists,

And an opportunity for cold, hard cash. Thanks for the tip, hippy.

Despite the size difference, this thing can easily own me within the space of fifteen seconds.

I don't know why, but this brings back vague memories of Mission Impossible.

These guys crash landed and there were no survivors? AHAHA SUCKS TO BE THEM. Also, around this point I hit a river and I change course to go directly south along the riverbank.

I'm boxed in by two rivers intersecting eachother. I want to continue south, but these asshole birds attack on sight and are easily capable of killing me. So I cross the horizontal river by means of a chain of islands and I continue my quest.

hello sexy, nice afro

While continuing across the riverbank, I came across some kind of rodent shaped as a ball, which effectively shoots itself in the foot by attacking me. It doesn't make me feel like a badass to kill bloated creatures a tenth my size, but at least I got to use my pistols. After a while, I came upon a city which was kind of like Minas Tirith because it came in layers. Pretty cool.

So like any other red blooded, hard working, masculine American, I go to the local bar and buy some tea. Bat-tea.

So I have some fun continuing south along the riverbank when I come across a huge stretch of land completely dominated by aggresive, high level creatures. Fortunately I could just barely outpace them, and I got to safety with only minor wounds.

For those of you that don't play Anarchy Online, these bubbles represent a connection to a new zone. Apparently, I'm going from the beachhead I'm used to into some awesome-looking alien forest.

But like all good things, this epic sadly comes to a close, not because of a dangerous beast or an enemy soldier, but because I was enough of a dumbass to jump into this swirling, red puddle of shit.

And this tale ends when I respawn miles back in West Athens, with friends, rivals and lessons learned.

Has anybody else ever tried something like this in an MMO?
Last edited by HolsteinCow on Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." (Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio)
HolsteinCow
S5 Hilyn

Re: Exploring the AO gameworld (no 56k)

Postby AznChipmunk » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:53 pm

HolsteinCow wrote:I'm playing Anarchy Online for free right now.

Free? Where can I get it?
AznChipmunk
S2 Hilyn

Postby HolsteinCow » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:04 pm

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." (Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio)
HolsteinCow
S5 Hilyn

Postby Aegis » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:32 pm

I've played that game. Not really worth my time, seeing as it was still a "spent-tons-of-time-piling-up-a-number to overcome obstacles" game. However, for a MMORPCrap, it was pretty awesome. The game world was cool, the imagining myself as a bounty hunter was cool, the dual energy pistols were cool... As I think about it, I probably would have liked the game playing as a better class. I was a Nanotechnician, which are the pure damage-dealing nuke classes in the game, but were way underpowered. After looking into it, I probably would have got the most joy as Fixer. Adventurers are the rigass over-powered push-one-button-for-the-whole-game-to-win nerfbait from hell on crack that are too rigged, IMHO, to be any fun, but to each his own, right Cow?
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

<Jeramyu> I'm going to mistranslate our own anime, and piss ourselves off.
Aegis
S3 Hilyn

Postby HolsteinCow » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:42 pm

No other game allows you to play as an asexual muscular breed of human wearing nothing but a skimpy thong.

Well, at least I hope not.
HolsteinCow
S5 Hilyn

Postby Aegis » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:32 pm

Let's not froget, an asexual muscular breed of human wearing nothing but a skimpy thong wielding an uber-powerful pillow as a weapon. :wink:
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

<Jeramyu> I'm going to mistranslate our own anime, and piss ourselves off.
Aegis
S3 Hilyn

Postby HolsteinCow » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:10 pm

Aegis wrote:Let's not froget, an asexual muscular breed of human wearing nothing but a skimpy thong wielding an uber-powerful pillow as a weapon. :wink:

Actually, wielding two uber-pillows. It always took the immersion out of the game to see trox enforcers wielding fucking pillows instead of futuristic lightsabers.
HolsteinCow
S5 Hilyn

Return to Gaming