How To beat SMB in 5mins

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

How To beat SMB in 5mins

Postby War » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yl_XPkcTl4&mode=related&search=

This guy had one flaw. Can you figur it out?
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:30 pm

Yeah, he breifly brushes up against the flag base on 8-3.

Of course, being YouTube, it's a stolen video which is actually the current SDA/TG (meaning it's non-emulated, and in this case non-glitched) world record 5:06 (5:09 by TwinGalaxies timing) by Trevor Seguin, avaliable at SDA.

The emulated/glitch record is 17974/17996 frames, or about 5:00 minutes by R. Yoshizawa, avaliable in the native emulator movie/input format or torrent at nesvideos/TASvideos.

Having had throughly immersed myself in the speedrunning culture, it really bothers me when I see stuff like that on YouTube. I gurantee you a large portion of these videos are stolen from SDA/TASvideos. This poses a particular problem with TASvideos, since all of their movies are performed on emulators. Remember that SMB3 video that caught so much attention a couple years ago? That was stolen and presented as unassisted. Not only is this theivery harmful and frustrating to the person who created the run (if you think using an emulator to make a speed run is easy, think again), but it obscures the unassisted speedrunners, who try equally as hard to make their movies (that SMB3 movie and another Metroid movie were more or less responsible for starting a war between the emulator and non-emulator crowds).

Of course, YouTube is a den of video theivery in the first place, but that doesn't make it any worse. Having had read and to some extent felt the sweat and blood that these speed runners go through, it angers me to no end to see some jackass on YouTube stealing it just because it didn't have a watermark.

EDIT-- Dear god those comments piss me off. "heyy!! i don't believe that someone can play that agme like that soo fastt!!!it must be some prankk!!" "seems very fake, not only did you hit almoast all the plants -.-' but in the last level you were hitting the fire and still not dying. O well, if it was real then that's awsome.". Thank god we have professors stupid and dumbass to lend us their endless knowledge about the hitboxes around enemies. After all, what would a world-record speed runner know about the nuances about the game?
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Teenr0cker » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:13 am

Yeah...uh, Jera covered all the bases there....

How about google video? I mean, they certainly didn't BUY all of the videos that they sell to people...
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:46 am

What about the SM64 Speed Run. That's amusing despite the rampant abuse of glitches and the fact he takes a single bomb to destroy bowser in the end.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:08 am

Single bomb for the last bowser? I don't think I've seen that one... I know about the other glitches. It's called a 16 star run. The SDA records for a 16 star run are 19:47 (NTSC) and 23:11 (PAL). The TAS record is 16:27 or about (15:30 depending on how you time it). I know the TAS guys were using YouTube to promote their site, but there aint no last-bowser single bomb kill there...
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby War » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:42 am

Ya but have you seen the SMB3 vids. Those guys are crazy. They have everything freaken planed out to the last jump.

I haven't seen the SM64 speed runs. I will check them out.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:55 am

Yeah, I've seen the SMB3 one. Not so much the secrets as the airship levels. Insane. When it comes to something like SMW or something it's not really that brilliant, hell, I could probably do a Super Mario World Speed Run after a single playthrough to refresh my memory. I've seen some Metroid ones, but they tend to use the secret wall short-cut things, which just make it boring.
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:34 pm

Am I the only one who had trouble understanding Jera?
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Stedar » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:38 pm

whoever made this had cheats...

world- 8-4- gets hit by fireball chain underwater

others- runs right over falling spaces |_|_|

gets hit by tons o' plants
Stedar
S2 Hilyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:23 pm

Stedar wrote:whoever made this had cheats...

Uh, no. I've seen my friend do that thing too...It's not a cheat. Did it on an NES, with an original copy....as in, before they paired the game with Duck hunter.

So, are you Professor Stupid or Dumbass?

Jeramyu the Wise and Awesome wrote:EDIT-- Dear god those comments piss me off. "heyy!! i don't believe that someone can play that agme like that soo fastt!!!it must be some prankk!!" "seems very fake, not only did you hit almoast all the plants -.-' but in the last level you were hitting the fire and still not dying. O well, if it was real then that's awsome.". Thank god we have professors stupid and dumbass to lend us their endless knowledge about the hitboxes around enemies. After all, what would a world-record speed runner know about the nuances about the game?
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Stedar » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:36 pm

I never accomplished doing that :x

and no i'm not.
Stedar
S2 Hilyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Fitz Tayo wrote:Yeah, I've seen the SMB3 one. Not so much the secrets as the airship levels. Insane. When it comes to something like SMW or something it's not really that brilliant, hell, I could probably do a Super Mario World Speed Run after a single playthrough to refresh my memory. I've seen some Metroid ones, but they tend to use the secret wall short-cut things, which just make it boring.

Ah, but that's the best part. I was in a Metroid Speedrunning community for a couple years. Some of the stuff those people come up with is ridiculous/brilliant.

As for SMW, yeah, the 11-exit method is fairly simple, but you'd be suprised how hard it is to optimize every last movement, especially the last bowser fight. The emulated run is particularily insane. Trust me when I say they think up stuff you've never even dreamed of. Another reason why I admire TAS runs just as much as regular runs. Optimizing every last pixel of movement...

A 96 exit run however is another matter. Especially if you're talking single-segment. Keep in mind speedruns for SDA are verified. Even one or two deaths and you might not make the cut. And I know TAS runs are even more heavily scrutinized.SDA SMW runs, if you're interested.

whoever made this had cheats...

...Did you not read my post at all? The hitboxes around the fireballs aren't especially big (not to mention he was small mario at the time), and the pirrahna plants also have deceptively small hitboxes. The upper tips of the mouths don't actually count.

...You are seriously trying to make me lose my cool. Anyone who's played the game upwards of 10 minutes would know that Mario can run over one-block spaces as long as the B button is held to get a running start.

The moral of the story: Don't call bull on stuff you don't know. Use logic. Of course a world record speed runner is going to know things that you don't.

I know you've not seen what I've seen, but damn... keep an open mind.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Stedar » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:38 pm

Sorry, well then whoever made this was very, very skilled and lucky.
Stedar
S2 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:07 pm

Nothing to do with luck. It takes patience to just work at it for damn ages.

The Super Mario 64 vid is somewhere on Video Google, just search "Super Mario 64" or something.
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:50 pm

LOK AT 4:49 OMG HES INSIDE THE FLOWER HE USES HAX

If it wasn't for the Juggernaut Bitch I'd never go to Youtube...
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Return to Gaming