Music on Rm2k/3

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Music on Rm2k/3

Postby Stedar » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:51 pm

I was wondering if you could convert like 'Mp3 format sounds' etc.
into rm2k bgms?? You know, like actual ppl singing in a bgm??

Would there be a sound change?\
Stedar
S2 Hilyn

Postby War » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:16 pm

Umm it can't be done. First off Rm2k uses midi. Midis are basic basic sounds. They could not hold voices. You would have to use a Wave to do that.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:49 am

Unlike war, I give a more precise definition of why Midi sounds are "Very very basic" as he put it.

Musical Instrument Digital Interface. Standard specifications that enable electronic instruments such as the synthesizer, sampler, sequencer, and drum machine from any manufacturer to communicate with one another and with computers.

Midi interface is universal, like binary or something. It's the same no matter which computer runs it because the same messages are being sent to the computer. Midi is not really a sound file as much as it is a set of instructions that is then relayed to the machine to output to us, the users.

How do I know this? Because you can take a midi of your favorite song, provided it's done correctly, and you can see the notation with a proper editor, like Noteworthy Composer. You can also change it. It's a set of instructions that can be changed. As for wav files, I'm no audio-wave master of physics, so I have no idea how one goes about specific parts of speech modifying. Sounds like speech are best recorded in simple wav files because that's all our speech is, a soundwave of a certain frequency and strength. Iono...Me tired.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:00 am

MIDI files are structured as "Play this note, then this one, now this one, change volume" and so on, but maybe a tad more detailed. Wave files are actual sounds, with no compression. MP3s are compressed files of actual sounds, though usually there's little differance in quality because we can't hctually hear the crap it usually gets rid of, y'dig?

Anyway, there's an MP3 patch for RM2k, but as far as I know it's in german. There's English Instructions somewhere, but I dunno where. Don't go for MP3s in games though, they are too big for many people. A main theme tune or say Battle or Boss theme (Something that will come up very often) could be used without any complaints though.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:22 am

Post what it says in German....I'll read it out loud 8)
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:55 am

I think the latest version of Rm2k3 (1.09?) is mp3 compatible by itself. I know the copy I have can run mp3s, and I've never installed any patches. I've seen other games that utilize them without anything special too...
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Stedar » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:33 am

Where can i find the new one?
Stedar
S2 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:11 pm

It was just a converter thing. You set the RTP and the music destination and it would be copied and placed in a file called MP3. It made the MP3s compatable with like RM2k and put them where required.
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:19 pm

All versions of RM2k3 could use Mp3s, they just take up so much room compared to any other RM file.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby War » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:28 pm

Ya it adds about 3mb at lest to your game for each one.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:49 pm

Just the size of the MP3. If I was to use MP3s in a game, something I actually considered, I'd put small ones like SPC conversions (SNES Music Files). Though it's easier to choose MIDI.
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Return to Gaming