One word: Pokemon

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Would you bother playing newer versions of Pokemon?

Yes
25%
No
25%
If it fell into my clutches for free, yes
50%

Total votes : 20

Postby Forerunner » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:12 am

Each species of pokemon has a set Base Value for each stat.
For example Pikachu might have 50 for attack, 150 for speed, 45 for defence, 150 for special attack and 55 for special defense.
Base Values are the main thing that decides a pokemons stats. You cannot control them. So a good gauge of a pokemons strength is the sum of all of their base values. Weaker pokemon like Caterpie will have a total of about 200, whereas Mewtwo has a total of 655 if I remember correctly.
But then you also have to take into account that a pokemon like Lugia, who is legendary and has a total BV close to Mewtwo's, doesn't turn out too good? Why? Because although he has a high amount of BVs, most of them are attributed to his defense, special defence and attack. Leaving his special attack low for a legendary pokemon.

The next most important is Effort Values.
Whenever you defeat a pokemon, all of the pokemon who participated in fighting that pokemon gets an Effort Value. Effort Values are a small number, ranging from 1 to 3, given to your pokemon for a stat. e.g. A pikachu gives you 1 EV to speed, you could guess that because pikachu is fast and weak. Whereas a big powerful pokemon would give you 3 EVs to attack. The EVs given by each pokemon is a fixed amount, no matter the level of the pokemon.
EVs accumulate until you have 510 of them. Then your pokemon no longer collects them. They slightly increase your pokemons stats depending on how much EVs your pokemon has for each of its stats. So a pokemon with 150 speed and no EVs for speed, might end up with a higher amount for speed than it shoudl have because it has lots of EVs on it.
Oh and each stat can have a max of 255 effort values on it.
(p.s. The Carbo's and stuff, increase the EVs for that stat by 10, untill you get to 100 EVs for that stat. Then it won't let you.)
EVs are the reason why my dad always owns me. He has the patience to seek out the pokemon whose effort values he wants, and by doing that he can slightly control which stats will be the best for his pokemon.

Individual Values are set when the pokemon is hatched/born or captured. They are completely random, so you can't control them. They don't have a really big effect on your stats anyway. but there is an effect. the only way to compare whether or not your pokemon has good IVs is to catch several of 1 kind of pokemon on the same level, then raise them up and see which has the better stats (the difference will be small).
Fun fact: Hidden Power is random right? Wrong! what element your hidden power is and how much damage it does depends on your IV's. That is why Legendary pokemon suck with hidden power. Most of them have 0 for all IV's because they kick butt without them.

I don't actually expect you to read that. Kind of ashamed I know it all. Like I said; unhealthy obsession.
Of course they don't tell us all that in game. You have to search around on the internet to find it all. They can describe it much better than me. People just have way too much time on their hands.[/b]
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:41 am

EVs are the reason why my dad always owns me
0_o

Anyway, yeah, thats about right.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:37 pm

That makes sense. I think it's brilliant actually. I never gave pokemon that much credit. I thought they were all the same to me. Meh.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:31 pm

That's about it. EVs are clearly the most important though. Rasing your speed and attack/special attack was always the most important in my view.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Forerunner » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:26 pm

Teenr0cker wrote:That makes sense. I think it's brilliant actually. I never gave pokemon that much credit. I thought they were all the same to me. Meh.

Fitz Tayo wrote:EVs are clearly the most important though. Rasing your speed and attack/special attack was always the most important in my view.

Yeah, that's what I said when I found out.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Glenn47 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:15 pm

Greatchickenman wrote:

LIES!

My Charizard can rock your Blastoises world. I don't even care if you're all like, oh, supereffective blah blah blah. Well, that's why I got defense ups, bitch. I'll fucking flame the shit out of you and send you to France or some other European country where they eat giant turtles with cannons in their back.

All I really had to say about that is- Defense ups wouldn't even change how much damage I'd do to you with a water attack, because water attacks are affected by special only. Duh. Not to mention I pick Venusaur anyway. The pokemon on blue were just less blech. Weedle is gay compared to Caterpie.

And thanks for all those tips on EV's. I think I'm gonna raise some pokemon perfectly someday and own everything. Yay pokemon!
Gil212 wrote:ps. I'm a girl btw
^_^
Glenn47
S1 Corlyn

Postby War » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:07 pm

I always went by types really. Zapdos was my fav when it came to electice pokemon. It was flying and elec so your stupid little thunder doesn't do shit to me, but mine sure does to you. I was also kind of a hyper beam spammer(I had 3 pokemon with it on my main team. I would would just wait till they where at lest at 75% health then use it and most of the time it killed them.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:26 pm

I always went for the -eon team. I had a Flareon, Vaporeon and Jolteon (Screw the new homosexual cat psychick/dark ones). I know I also had a Dragonite. I think I also had an earth-type somewhere in there. I can't remember. Though I do recall having at least one move of each type that can beat others, so there was always a Super Effective move somewhere on my team.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:42 pm

In the original blue & red I'd go charmander, and only use him all the way to the elite 4.(Its real easy after you beat Misty) I couldn't be bothered to train other pokemon i guess. Then I'd cheat and get unlimited masterballs and rarecandies, and use them to get abunch of lvl100 pokemon to beat the game with.

I don't know why I found that to be fun.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:39 pm

Because we were all little kids who longed to be 1337.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sarcasm » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:07 am

Charizard, Mewtwo, Elakazam, Gengar, Raichu, Primeape

Or I think that was my team . . . heh.

This is getting very pathetic very quickly, people.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Forerunner » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:49 am

I only really played Yellow seriously, and my Elite 4 was:
Pikachu, Charizard, Venasaur, Articuno, Zaptos, Alakazam.

Then after I beat them I'd catch Mewtwo and raise up a Dragonite making my party:
Pikachu, Charizard, Articuno, Venasaur, Mewtwo, Dragonite.

I choose my pokemon using a cunning formula involving power, coolness, and sentimental value. You can't get anymore sentimental than pikachu so he's in. Charizard is the definition of cool, and Dragon pokemon were played up a lot. Articuno can wipe Lance out on his own even if you hevn't raised him up, and I guess Venasaur is just there to fill space.

Mewtwo however is the best pokemon. Why?:
- It has a Legendary amount of Base Stats. It's a 6 way tie for the biggest total.
- Most of it's BV's are on SpAtk and Spd, with a fair amount on HP and crap all on Atk, which is good because it's a SpAtk kind of pokemon.
- It can learn Flamethrower, Icebeam and Thunderbolt (or Fireblast, Blizzard and Thunder if you like it that way), coupled with psychic and it's high special attack it is super effective against almost anything.
- Plus it's high speed, it can wipe entire parties out without losing health.
- And thats without EV training it to have super Spd and SpAtk.
- But it's speed is high enough already isn't it? So why not leave it with recover and EV train it's HP, making it a tank.

Best pokemon ever, if not the coolest.

And I've always prefered Blue over Red. Even though Cherizard is much more awesome than Blastoise. Bulbasaur is the best to start with element-wise though. Especially since I'm a super-effective whore.
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby War » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:05 am

Well Red is also harder then Blue (thing cost more in red and some pokemon on some trainers you fight are higher level)

And then taking charmander as your starter is also taking on the hard road for the begining.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Glenn47 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:23 am

Charmander wasn't all that hard to start out with. I'd always just catch a caterpie and get a Butterfree with confusion and own things up until Charmander became useful. Just an extra half-hour of gameplay if you can catch and raise it fast.
Gil212 wrote:ps. I'm a girl btw
^_^
Glenn47
S1 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:54 pm

Charmander wasn't all that hard to start out with.

It is when your only using charmander :roll:
Actually, Brock is easy with Charmander if you bring 2 or 3 potions. Misty takes a lot of luck though, and knowing how to get the seismic toss TM before learning cut.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming