Tales of the Abyss

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Tales of the Abyss

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:29 am

Eh, Tales of Symphonia was pretty big around here, and yet no one mentions Tales of the Abyss... Obviously Jera hasn't gotten a chance to play it because of his lack of PS2, anyone else play it?

It's a pretty bad ass game, feels a lot like Symphonia with some things added, and it has some of it's awesome moments. The only problem with any Tales game is that you can guess the rest of the story after playing twenty minutes of it, or reading the instruction manual.

___Story___
Pros: Well... it's hard to say, the story is good... but if you take it seriously, you'll probably dislike it.
Con: It's a Tales game, so it is predictable.

___Battle___
Pros: Very similar to Tales of Symphonia with a bunch of shit thrown on top. Field of Fonons add a new aspect to battling, you can use elemental fields to cast improved battle skills. Fon Slot Channels allow you to improve an aspect of any Arte (skill). Additional Skills give your characters new abilities in battle, like added combos and speed.
Cons: I would enjoy some more basic artes.

___Characters___
I can't think of any characters in the game that aren't funny or just bad ass. Hell, I was entertained by the little rabbit thing (Mieu) for quite a while. The main character does become a bit emo at points, but somehow he still manages to be a rampant idealist.

___Music___
I really enjoy the opening movie/theme, but I can't really think of anything else that stands out.

and they have a lot more costumes this time around... and they won't interfere with leveling.
Last edited by Strayed Wanderer on Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:04 am

I keep telling myself I would wait for the next-gen console from sony to play a ton of great games from them, but the price-tag on the ps3 is not as rewarding as I'd hoped waiting it out would be.

I'm reviewing defcon soon, but it's nothing new. I'm just doing it to get credit in my journalism class, where I bring my laptop to basically play starcraft, snes roms, space pinball, solitare, and Zork all of class.

Glad to see the series isn't changing into a suckier direction, at least.

Are half-elves still seperate but equal in this one too?

Heheh, inter-racial marriages and children. Every time.....
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:53 am

I've heard the final battle music, and it's pretty cool. Not to mention they have a "Tales cameo battle" akin to ToS in the arena, which features a pretty sweet remix/medley of previous battle tunes.

Oh, and since I have a little experience in this area, allow me to add a review category:

___Hentai___
Pros: Mostly very high quality, good source material to begin with.
Cons: Not very much of it, some loli.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:18 pm

Teen, you're not allowed to post in my topics.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:32 pm

___Hentai___
Cons: It's Hentai.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:41 pm

GCM, you're not allowed to post on my forums. Jera agrees.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:45 pm

Strayed Wanderer wrote:GCM, you're not allowed to post on my forums. Jera agrees.

My name is Jeramyu, and I endorse this message.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Greatchickenman » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:15 pm

Seriously, that doesn't make hentai blow any less.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:00 am

Strayed Wanderer wrote:Teen, you're not allowed to post in my topics.

Afraid I'll write an essay? :roll:

Pussy. :P
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:58 am

Who is allowed to post in your topics?
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:14 am

Wow, I totally pulled a teen. I get it now. :?
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:42 pm

Only I usually back up my statements with proof GCM. You state your opinions as absolute facts. What you did was tick everyone off without good reason. I do too, because when I back my statement up, you all see the amount I write as unreasonable. :roll:
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:28 pm

Or maybe not. I was at first under the impression that you guys were into hentai, then I decided that would be impossible and it must have been a joke; now I'm not so sure anymore.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Dr. Casey » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Teenr0cker wrote:Are half-elves still seperate but equal in this one too?

Half-elves are only in Phantasia and Symphonia.
sqpat17 wrote:Slade: Maybe the sword flew over and landed in his chest. "Oof! Stabbed by two shadow swords in one week!" Okay, maybe not.
Dr. Casey
S2 Hilyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:22 pm

Ah, the only two tales games I've played, so I assumed it was for all of the games...Thankee kindly.
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Return to Gaming