Epic Battles of Epic Proportions

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Epic Battles of Epic Proportions

Postby Sling » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:29 am

I re-discovered the fine art of playing StarCraft: Brood Wars yesterday I was playing 3 on 1 vs my friend Steve and he managed to beat me and my other 2 friends. 1 of my friends quit becuase he was a pussy, the other allied with my Steve becuase he only had 1 building left and I had to Surrender becuase I had no SVC's and no money. If anyone wants to play against me or with me etc then add me to your MSN.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:50 am

Bah, RTS is for hyperactive kids, TBS is what you should play if you desire "a battle of epic proportions" (Civilization 3/ Age of Wonders II)
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Angel_OA » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:34 am

Although I find them impressive, TBS get boring really quickly for me.
From what my barber told me, I now knew that nothing was real.
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby Sarcasm » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:02 am

Thats because most modern RTS games have very little strategy in them, mostly tactics. TBS games actualy deserve the S.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:38 am

...what?

"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sarcasm » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:03 pm

There are no two words in English that mean exactly the same thing, there is always a subtle difference.

For example, Take Will and Shall, One should be mainly used for issuing commands while the other is mainly used to promise things. While in the modern American English they have gotten kind of blended together this meaning and use remain in England, even if they are much more similar now then they were intended to be.

And in the case of Tactics and Strategy, Strategy is the general battle plan, the one you usually make before the battle even begins, Strategy is the long term plan, and while it can change in the midst of battle, it rarely does. Tactics are plans improvised on the battle field after the examination of the current situation, Tactics are usually plans that lead to short term benefits in small scaled battles.

So, lets say we have this castle that is about to be attacked by barbarians, The positioning of the troops, as well as the general battle plan, is considered the strategy for the battle. Now, lets say that the barbarians break in, and in the midst of battle a commander of some forces notices this, he orders all troops to retreat to the top of a staircase, then, he orders the infantry to block it and the archers to use the height advantage and shoot down the barbarians while the infantry blocks their path, that would be considered a tactic.
Last edited by Sarcasm on Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:20 pm

"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sarcasm » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:29 pm

Same meanings, different usage.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:38 pm

What are you implying? I use my penis in a very normal way. Don't know about you.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Teenr0cker » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:04 pm

Oooooooooh Snap!

Anyways, hate to tell ya buddy, but its nothing new to discover you want to go and play an old game. My friends and I are in a constant "Blizzard" loop, where we slowly cycle through the games. Usually SC, Diablo 2, and Warcraft 3 seems to be the game of interest now.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:58 pm

I play Total Annihilation a lot still. Never really got into SC though.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:55 pm

Teenr0cker wrote:Anyways, hate to tell ya buddy, but its nothing new to discover you want to go and play an old game. My friends and I are in a constant "Blizzard" loop, where we slowly cycle through the games. Usually SC, Diablo 2, and Warcraft 3 seems to be the game of interest now.
I wasn't saying it was new, I was wondering if there are any other people who play StarCraft and wanna play online if they want to and I was also telling the story of how my friend Steve beat me and 2 of other friends.

I wrote:re-discovered
Not to be mistaken for discovered.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Aegis » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:59 pm

Sarcasm wrote:Bah, RTS is for hyperactive kids, TBS is what you should play if you desire "a battle of epic proportions" (Civilization 3/ Age of Wonders II)

Alpha Centauri.

As for Starcraft, it would be so much better of an experiance if so many people didn't treat it like crack cocaine.

P.S.

EmperorJeramyu wrote:What are you implying? I use my penis in a very normal way. Don't know about you.

Jera uses his penis in a very normal way? That's a new one to me.
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

<Jeramyu> I'm going to mistranslate our own anime, and piss ourselves off.
Aegis
S3 Hilyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:30 pm

As a member of the penis-using public, I deny that there is an abnormal way to use the aforementioned appendage.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:10 am

True 'dat.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Return to Gaming