Guitar Hero II

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Guitar Hero II

Postby Teenr0cker » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:38 pm

That and Guitar Hero I will own your life.

I have to take breaks because my wrist is so damn sore. It's so much fun though!!!

Anyone else enjoy this game?

By the way, don't ask why, but I found out a friend had an extra PS2 at his house...somebody left one behind...Crazy! But yeah, I need to buy a PS2 now.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby teeran » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:06 pm

You play Guitar Hero and pretend you're playing a guitar, I play a guitar and pretend I'm playing Guitar Hero.
"If we're all equal, then why is there authority?" -Me
teeran
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:37 pm

I wish I could play this, dont have a ps2 or a friend with the game though.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:06 pm

teeran wrote:You play Guitar Hero and pretend you're playing a guitar, I play a guitar and pretend I'm playing Guitar Hero.

Talk to my friends who play guitar. They like this better.

And I bet you don't get star power in your...real life garbage...Also, game reference/ note: Dropping your pants does not, contrary to popular belief, initiate star power.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:04 pm

Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby PseudoFlare » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:21 pm

Too easy.

In voshall I can literally kick any of you guys ass with it.

It's a bit like Guitar Hero except you use 7 keys on a keyboard.

Here's a taste of what it's like for some of you.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rch=Search

I can do level 7 and 8 at 90% or higher, and level 9 and 10 at a finger hurtin' 70 to 85% (sometimes higher).

Compare THAT to Guitar Hero. (Credit goes to the player who played it)
PseudoFlare
Plyn

Location: A really short way, just left of your street 3 blocks ahead.

Postby War » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:33 pm

Well the thing is.... you could. The controller for GH and the keyboard on a computer are two different things. With the game you showed all you have to do is push the buttons in time. In GH you can to hold down the buttons and flip the sting button in order to do a move.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby PseudoFlare » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:43 pm

I never seen (thoroughly) a guitar before so I have no idea how hard it can be.

And for those VOS type games, you need a good positioning otherwise you're keyboarding abilities will be cut severely. I have 2 computers and one has better positioning then the other, granting me 20%+ keyboarding of accuracy, whatever the hell that is.

If you wanna play it just PM me and I'll give you my username and password, mainly because its in Korean. Don't mess up my album though >.<
PseudoFlare
Plyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:17 am

So....Where's the metal?

And....War...is...correct.

There, said it.

It's not so easy. Sure GH has only 5 buttons, but firstoff, where's the star power? Secondly, where's the reach? To hit the 5th fret, you gotta reach. That's talent and hard work right there man.

Thirdly, Hammer-ons and Pull-offs. They're like...See, a guitar has strings, and picking them causes vibrations which, somehow, make sound. If you pick a string and then move up the fret to the notes higher (or lower, I suppose) on the neck in a fast enough succession, you don't have to pick the string twice. It's very difficult.

Oh, and War, they did a program a while back, called Frets On Fire. Look it up, it is to guitar hero as Step-mania is to DDR. It lacks star power and crowd rating, plus practice mode, but I could see myself desperate enough to use it.

On that note, I ordered a new guitar from redoctane and also included a PS2->Usb/Xbox/360 adapter. I dunno, I think it had three...lets see. Nope, Usb, xbox, gamecube....huh...whatevs. So I could use frets on fire with the real gear if they care to put in star power. And touch up the graphics.
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby PseudoFlare » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:57 pm

Teenr0cker wrote:So....Where's the metal?

It's a community based game so expect lots of metal type songs...

Without its glory of lyrics that is :roll:

It is a 'push a button game' but this game will make your arm hurt, badly.

This is a game to test how fast you can spam out your keys and your reflex. Pretty much the same thing as Guitar Hero.

Unlike Guitar Hero, this game is online for free, and has awesome amount of more than 1000 songs (most of which are crappy). There used to be a game called Canmusic but for some reason the site went down one year ago. Now I can't even play it online >.<

Voshall was created because canmusic went down so that's what I have today, without the chance to humiliate another player.

Also some songs are impossible to get 100% on, even with the most expert players, there's no way unless you hack.
PseudoFlare
Plyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:33 pm

Torrent with GHII iso.

You get the torrent, still active, unpack the torrent into an iso, burn that onto a dvd, you can play it. If you don't have a PS, use an emulator. If that's not your style, just use a computer without dual-processors to rip the songs.

See, multi-processings great....until you have something using all of your CPU. Then it will only be able to do one half your total CPU. Thus 3.2 ghz only bears 1.6 CPU, while piece of shit laptop takes the music off wayyyyy faster. It took 22 hours on my desktop for one song, a little under 30 minutes on the old laptop.
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:50 pm

Did you just imply that a dual-processor 3.2 ghz isn't in fact the equivalent of two 3.2s but instead a 3.2 cut in half?
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:48 pm

Strayed Wanderer wrote:Did you just imply that a dual-processor 3.2 ghz isn't in fact the equivalent of two 3.2s but instead a 3.2 cut in half?

Would seem that way with mine. Mines old. I don't have the exact specs because I'm in the backlands of Montana til the 5th.

Here's my understanding, correct me with data if I'm wrong.

See, googled "dual processing" and came up with anover-simplified explanation, which justified my understanding.

Processors, as they should, process information and commands/demands from the system. They process commands sequentially. These commands have data waiting to be used in the commands. I believe it is termed a "pipeline", and the more tasks a pipeline can cue, the more stuff a CPU can do in a short amount of time, so greater cues are good. If you have more "hands", as the site said, and more pipelines, then you can get the work done faster. Same speed, less power requirements, same CPU total.

First thing: My desktop has AMD, my laptop has Intel. Therefore, AMD, which has a shorter pipeline, is at a disadvantage.

Second, and more important thing: When I was running frets and ripping the song, it showed a cap of 50% of my cpu usage when I looked at my running processes. Frets doesn't have SMP support, aka symmetric multi-processing written into its code, so it can't utilize both processors at once, which, if it could, is called 'multithreading'. Half the processing speed, half the processors being used. If you are correct, and both processors have 3.2 ghz, then there'd be no competition between my laptop and desktop, but there was a major difference, something a slight difference in pipeline lengths wouldn't make.
Each dual-core chip contains the same computing might as today's most advanced chips, but with greatly reduced power requirements.

(http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71467-0.html)
But dual-core means only one chip! The entire power of the machine is 3.2 ghz. If both processors had 3.2 ghz of processing, then it would beat the laptop no problem. I don't have 6.4 Ghz. 50% means half the CPU power, and half that power, aka one processor, is 1.6 .

This motherboard in question is at least 3 years (absolute MINIMUM) old, and I doubt even now there are single processors that hold 3.2 ghz alone.

Also, uh, there's this, which makes complete sense:

wikipedia on SMP wrote:Support for SMP must be built into the operating system. Otherwise, the additional processors remain idle and the system functions as a uniprocessor system.

So, if my desktop did one of at least 50 songs in 22 hours while the laptop did that entire list in less than half that time, I concluded before even bothering with all this that it only devoted 1.6ghz, aka one processor, and I am further assured this because Frets doesn't seem to have SMP built in, even though SMP can be supported by XP.
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:59 pm

A dual core would never show you the combined speed of the processor, that would make absolutely no sense. If a dual core processor is marked 3.2, both processors are 3.2. This isn't even up for debate, hell, I'm sure if you Wiki it, it'll tell you that.

Although you are saying your Desktop is Dual Core, AMD and 3.2 ghz, which is quite expensive. It's more likely you aren't even running dual core, and you're actually running a single core cpu with multithreading. Multithreading is access of multiple processes on a single core, not the access of mutliple processors on a single process.

If you had access to the machine and could tell me the cpu name, it would be real easy to solve. Before anyone else jumps into the conversation, I am aware that it takes more than just the processor (and it's speed) to determine the speed of a process.

-Edit

As for you not believing we have single core processors at 3.2ghz, Intel has plenty of them, for a while now. AMD on the other hand does not from what I've seen in the past, although AMD CPUs will run much better than Intel CPUs at the same speed.

Honestly, I'm willing to bet the flaw in the equation here is your memory.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:18 pm

Hmm, my mistake I guess. I'll look for the model # etc when I get back, but I gotta remark, I got the motherboard 2nd-hand from a friend who was one of those "uber-pro" linux fanatics. He was getting pretty deep into it, was even looking into nitrogen cooling when he decided to enroll in the army. I can't recall specifics, but I can say that it allowed me to use both Serial ATA, a HDD type relatively new, and IDE HDD's. He said it was well over a grand at retail price, got it for a discount, and sold it for even less to me because nobody else wanted just a motherboard.
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Next

Return to Gaming