I was wondering...

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:20 pm

PseudoFlare wrote:http://www.queenscourt.org/othergames.php

Pillage and play.

After you're done with that, tell us the good ones here so we don't have to waste time downloading every piece of crap available.

Eh... haven't played too many of them, but here's my comments. (BTW: WE'RE the lazy ones who have people do stuff for us, not you.)

Ara Fell Episode 1 - A quality game, but overtly difficult in some parts. (2k3, full)

Aurora Wing - I think I played a really old version of this. Noteworthy as probably the only competent strategy game made in RM2x. (2k, ?)

Dawn of Darkness Legends: Nightwish - One of the most overrated games I've seen. Storyline gets pretty fascinating if you can deal with the uncanny game play. (2k, demo/episodic?)

Destiny's Call Complete - What do you get when you mix a juvenile comedy game with the Sims? A bizzare and somewhat lackluster game with lots of random sex. (2k, demo)

Diary of a Madman - I've never played it, but I've heard nothing but good things. (2k3?, full?)

Dragon Destiny - Kind of a fun one. Somewhat difficult though. You need a beefy computer to get through the massively laggy maps. (2k, full)

Miaka's Great Adventure - The archtypical "my first game", except with some weird Dragonball Z fanfiction in there. Skip it. (2k, full)

Nigsek - A classic. Jaw-dropping polish. If the descriptions aren't lying about all the bugs being cleared off (where DID Trihan run off to, anyway?), then by all means, you owe yourself at least a shot at this one. (2k, full)

Romancing Walker - One of the few Japanese RPG maker games localized into English. Part soppy anime dialog, and part dating sim. Loses a point for not delivering on the hentai scenes everyone was wanting. (2k, full)

Tetris - A fun Tetris clone for Rm2k. Mostly a programming achievement, but it's still super fun. The extra challenge mode is pretty fun. (2k, full)

The Ruiners - It's sort of like Final Fallacy, except it's terrible. (2k, full)

Three the Hard Way - Second to only The Way. Cheat if you must, but this is an absolutely brilliant game. Don't get turned off by the first few hours. By the time the plot gets turned up, you wont be able to stop. And there are dozens and dozens of plot and dialog branches, so it's got insane replay. Just ask me and my 200+ hours. (2k, full)

Tierra Azul - Perfectly mediocre. Worth a shot, I guess. (2k, demo)

I've got a pretty extensive collection myself. Here are a few of them, since I couldn't find download links for like 80% of them (rpg2knet being down doesn't help).

The Blue Contestant: A lysander game, so you can count on a good plotline, lots of crappy maps and insane difficulty. (2k, full)

The Chimera Report: Another one of those "best games that never came out", still one of the best demos you can play. Great polish, great CBS, CMS, the works. (2k, demo)

cRaZy_gUys Journey: A wonderful but somewhat awkward comedy game. Relaxing difficulty level. (2k, full)

Descendant of Truth (Select it from the list): A forgotten classic. I like it, anyway. (2k, demo)

Evania - Secret of Reza: Continuing the holy Rm2kx tradition of stealing Suikoden resources. A quality game with some snappy writing. (2k, demo)

Exile (Select it from the list): A quality pseudo-RTP game. (2k, demo?)

Final Fallacy: One of the most beloved comedy games of all time, and with good reason. This is one of those must-play games. (2k, demo)

Final Fantasy - Endless Nova: A polished Final Fantasy fan game. But that doesn't mean it's any good. (2k, full)

Idunn Ymiraldor: The best 30 minutes of RM made gaming you can possibly play. (2k, demo)

Sunset Over Imdahl: If The Way broke new ground with 3D maps, this game broke new ground with hand-drawn maps. It's short, and worth your time. (2k, full)

Jay's Journey: Another classic RTP comedy game. Noted for having annoying and embarassing voice-clips. (2k, full)

Kindred Saga (Select it from the list): One of the most polished demos ever. One of the best CBSs ever. Of course, this is just a demo and full version never came out. Sigh. (2k, demo)

Legendary Adventure: Another classic RTP comedy game. Except it really isn't very fun. (2k, full)

Legion Saga (I - III): The games that everybody loves to love/hate. An orgy of Suikoden theft. Still probably not worth it. (2k, full)

A Blurred Line: If you haven't heard of this, you haven't heard anything about RPG maker games. Brilliant plot, mediocre maps and gameplay. (2k, demo)

Lufia - The Cult of Daos: A Lufia fangame, complete with all the ripped resources. (2k, demo)

Oblishblot - The Game: An underhyped game with all the trimmings of a superb adventure. Bizzare beyond belief, but funny. (2k, full?)

RM2K Survivor - NYSE: Haven't played any recent versions, but certainly one of the most conceptually unique games out there. (2k, demo?)

Super Turbo Power Man: A wacky and hard picture-based comedy game. (2k, full)

The Frozen World: More typical lysander fare. This time, with an impossible CBS. (2k, full)

The Stupidest Game Ever: A classic NON-RTP comedy game. Notable for having 90% of its jokes ripped word-for-word from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. (2k, full)

Legacies of Dondoran: Presentation and atmosphere wise, I love this game. Gameplay wise... eh... not so much. Great dialog, characters, and good original music. (2k3, full)

The Legend of the Philosopher's Stone (Get it in the author's sig): Presentationally solid, but somewhat awkwardly paced. (2k3, demo)

Dementia Praecox: Scariest rm2x game I've ever played. (2k3, demo)

Demon Legacy: (I think this is the most recent version). A quality game where you can tell the author was definitely trying too hard at certain spots. (2k3, demo)

Naufragar: Crimson: This game took overhyping to a whole new level. Does to Star Ocean what Legion Saga did to Suikoden. Decent gameplay, but lots of the custom stuff is so unnecessarily pointless. (2k3, full?)
Last edited by EmperorJeramyu on Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby PseudoFlare » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:17 pm

:shock: ....

Anyway to continue with that list:

Diary of a Madman: The most medieval like type game you'll ever play period. The gameplay is kind of like Three the Hard Way if you ever played one.

Backstage: The game says its a ripoff of Silent Hill. I say that the game is a ripoff of Silent Hill AND the Diary of a Madman. The door close/open sound and stairs walking sound is exactly the same. The mood is quite surprisingly same as well despite they live between 500 year time gap. Otherwise more volume = more scare, although it didn't do to me as much because I'm so used to the boogie man scare style. Really linear with different endings >.> Go figure.

Romancing Walker: The game claims its funny and all but not really by that much. Sure it made me smile many times throughout but never made me laugh. Graphics are at good quality considering they have so many facesets and pictures. Also I have a bit of problem with the 'Walker' theme music song that seems to be ripped from voshall...

Aurora Wing: Great RPG that uses strategy type thing. The game really gets hard at the end of chapter 1 and keeps on getting harder. Try to save your revive crystals as much as you can. It just becomes insanely hard when enemies are able to kill a character with 2 hits (!). Edit: Let me restate, the game is hard AFTER you go through chapter one. Happy hunting.

Densetsu Redone: Ho... ri... ble.... Graphics are of poor quality and the gameplay is even worse then that of normal RM2K interface. Stay away.

Running Water: Despite being large and all, I just had to quit at the intro because the characters and dialogues were the worst I have ever heard so far. Heck, even the first battle was enough to make me leave. I mean I did blind slash on him, he never landed a hit on me, and said the enemy is too strong?! Unless you have no problems with dialogues and story, go ahead. Gameplay is crap though...
Last edited by PseudoFlare on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PseudoFlare
Plyn

Location: A really short way, just left of your street 3 blocks ahead.

Postby Poenaensis » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:03 pm

aroura wing is a bit easy I think, though very good. Though I lost loads of people in the final battle beyond my abiity to revive.
"Mum, Grandad says he cant get his bottom set of false teeth out."

"Don, are you all right?"

"I can't get my teeth out"

"that's cause they're real"
-----------------------------------------

Grandad's mind gave up on boxing day, to late to get him new one for Christmas, he'll have to wait till his birthday now.
Poenaensis
S2 Hilyn

Postby PseudoFlare » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:43 pm

Poenaensis wrote:aroura wing is a bit easy I think, though very good. Though I lost loads of people in the final battle beyond my abiity to revive.

Dude... Aurora Wing is the hardest game I played and at the part with the flames, that was just insanely hard. Seriously, I was like '35 AGL!?!'. I lost 4 magicians (Chad, Irroh, Petra, and Alena (?)) during the process although I managed to kill the wimpy boss using Nash with an arch bow. Also the fact that Meria isn't with you (part of story, she gets killed), this takes the difficulty notch a bit further. There's no way you can beat it without sheer luck. Heck, Nash was at 2 HP when he killed Jalar (his name?) because the flame actually missed him ONCE. Other than that, purty fun, a game that you shouldn't pass up.

Try to beat the game WITHOUT getting anybody killed. That's just beyond imagination.

Anyways, can you try to list your whole RPG collection? I don't care if its websited or not just as long as you put it. And no, the description doesn't have to be sentence long. Just put good, bad, horrible, stay away, must have, stuff like that.
PseudoFlare
Plyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:41 am

Jera, I think you forgot one very important addition.

#theway (Strayed Version).

And nice sig by the way.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:26 am

"great dialog"!??!? Go, Jera, become a hero!
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:15 am

Strayed Wanderer wrote:Jera, I think you forgot one very important addition.

#theway (Strayed Version).

I was going to, but then I realized that I didn't even know what the name was, or if it HAD a name.

Sarcasm wrote:"great dialog"!??!? Go, Jera, become a hero!

Yeah, yeah. I read the chat logs with the author. Whatever. Don't get me started on the RPGmaker community. I enjoyed the game a whole lot, and that's what counts. It feels akin to a Fire Emblem RPG proper, with this sort of epic feel, not your "average teenage boy who trains with a sword can defeat trained soldiers after hitting slimes for 5 hours". All of the characters in LOD are already "paragons of virtue" and shit like that, I eat that noble kind of stuff right up. Really, the game had some sort of a sad ending, so I assumed you would've loved it.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sarcasm » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:43 am

The chat log is meaningless, I never judge a game according to its author (unless he's Stedar) I was referring to the fact the characters were completely and utterly flat and devoid of personality, or indeed, soul.

They seemed like lifeless rubber action figures being played by a bunch of children, they had a backstory, yes, but they never acted upon it, or indeed, upon any truly human emotion, every single one of their actions was driven by the need for it in the plot because the author thought that would've been cool.

Characters in Fire Emblem were epic because of their humane nature, because of their weaknesses and the fact they overcome them and their emotions in order to fight an inhumane foe for the sake of humanity.

But you are right about one thing, you have enjoyed the game and that's what truly counts, I am just saying the dialogs and plot are not of the game's virtues.

And for the record, I do not like sad endings, I like tragic ones.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:25 pm

I still need someone to title it... on my computer it's always been called #thewaydelta, because I had three other #theway games before it. But I definitely do need a title so I can make a finished title screen.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:45 pm

"Stuff Strayed Hates"
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:15 pm

There is no game big enough in the world...
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby PseudoFlare » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:53 pm

A game always has to have an ending otherwise its boring (although Notrium can be neverending due to respawning creatures and snipers if you put in Werivar mod. But then again, it gets boring once you can kill anybody with ease.).

I beat the Aurora Wing on HARD mode... I guess that's why you found it easy >.>
PseudoFlare
Plyn

Previous

Return to Gaming