To hax or not to hax?

Stab! Stab! Stab! (yes!)
100%
Stab! Stab! (no)
No votes

Total votes : 8

Nethack

Postby Teenr0cker » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:37 am

Don't ask me why, but I found myself being pulled towards something old. Let me emphasize. This game is OLD. Let me further my statement visually:

This is what we'd expect minimum today
http://linux.duke.edu/~icon/sshots/nethack.png

Aaaand this is what it's usually played as
http://www.nongnu.org/nethack-el/nethack.png

Yeeeeeep. Pretty ghetto. The guys that made this were laying the foundations of the "Old School" in terms of games man. This is some pretty damn old stuff. It's like...I don't know, the Dungeons and Dragons put into DOS with only one quest available.

Lets do the on-a-whim review, eh?

Sound:
If you hold down the shift key long enough, you get an interesting motherboard beep when windows notifies you of the sticky keys bullshit. That's about it. Listen to something while you play it. I guarentee it won't enhance the gameplay.

Graphics:
In all seriousness, that second picture is not the only way how to play nethack. In fact, it comes with both nethack.exe and nethackW.exe, the latter being a sort of ...low-tech graphic-heavy version, pictured below-

Not much...but it's better than this I suppose.

Replay: Pfftt, you finished? You must've cheated. Try again!

Gameplay: You are...Whoever the fuck you want to be. There are the following roles/classes: Archeologist - Barbarian - Caveman - Healer - Knight - Priest - Monk - Ranger - Rogue - Samurai - Tourist - Valkyrie - Wizard. Each has it's own special sets of abilities, talents, characteristics, and alignments (There are only three: Lawful, agnost- I mean Neutral, and Chaotic). You get a pet, usually a cat or dog (Knights get a Pony) but they gain experience and will grow into bigger things (my pony's a warhorse...whoop dee dooo!). You can tame other monsters though, which is pretty bitchin.

Lets touch on the quest- You are chosen by ...some divine fucking force or something, iono, to go and get an amulet. It's kinda lame, but it's not that easy. The amulet's apparently a pain in the ass to get back to the surface once you get it (It prevents teleporting and will make you get hunger faster). Get the amulet and return to the surface asap, amassing as much phat lewt as you can.

Items- Got your basic set up here: helms, gloves, boots, chest protection, weapons, cloaks. Easy enough. You got tons of scrolls, the best way to figure out what they do (identifying them) is to read them and hope you don't die. Same with spellbooks. Spellbooks teach you a spell to cast. Wands cast certain special spells. Tons of potions, with the same identification method as scrolls. Every item has a weight. You can hurt yourself if you overburden. Crazy shit, never had that problem in Diablo or Diablo 2, eh? You also have food. If you don't eat, you starve, simple. Oh, and Gold weighs ...actual weight, so thats cool, I guess. There are about a dozen uses for the towel in this game.

Go around, killing shit, sacrificing it to gain favor with your god, blow shit up, get awesome artifacts. I have yet to need to grind for levels in this game, however, I die...For stupid reasons. It is also time-sensitive and will only show certain monsters at night/day and may show them asleep if at night or if they're noctournal.

They have a phrase in nethack. It's "The developers think of everything". I dare you to test it out.

Lynx: http://www.nethack.org/

Got any questions? Put 'em here.

Got any comments? Shove 'em up your ass!

Is your name "Strayed"? Go fuck yourself and your glow-in-the-dark dick you care so much about before you even think about spewing another stream of pure homosexual bullshit!

=============Tips====================

If you're playing on a private server, such as your own computer, then you can back up your character files. You know which one it is, it'll have <your windows login name> dash <character name> dot "Nethack-saved-game". It'll be only visible once you save, and it gets bigger each time you go down another level and explore some more. It saves everything, so back it up at least once. I've got three locations personally, long term, mid-term, and short term stuff, you know, if I decide to do some really drastic thing, I save and put it into the long term or the midterm file. Also, longterm could be like...a weekly save thing if you're playing casually, just incase the short and middle get fucked up. But of course, backing up your own game is considered wrong, but that's a decision I'm willing to ignore fully.

Also, changing your windows calandar/clock is considered cheating as well, for full moon days grant you an extra point of luck, new moon days grant you a -1 point of luck.

If you find yourself dying too often, just try #explore. It's like...the ultimate in cheats-enabled, so of course your score isn't recorded, but you'll learn a lot more.

I'll add any more tips as I remember them...
Last edited by Teenr0cker on Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Poenaensis » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:49 am

i've played this... it's good.

I suppose everyone has a graphics tolerence, mine's quite low, and i'm glad.

some of my mates wouldn't play The Way because they were only into 3d. Look what they missed.
"Mum, Grandad says he cant get his bottom set of false teeth out."

"Don, are you all right?"

"I can't get my teeth out"

"that's cause they're real"
-----------------------------------------

Grandad's mind gave up on boxing day, to late to get him new one for Christmas, he'll have to wait till his birthday now.
Poenaensis
S2 Hilyn

Postby Wellsy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:01 pm

I played something very similar called Rogue a long time (10+ yrs) ago on my ancient monochrome computer. Jesus, just typing that makes me feel old.

Poenaensis wrote:some of my mates wouldn't play The Way because they were only into 3d. Look what they missed.

That's ridiculous.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:08 pm

Oh man, the ASCII graphics remind me of ZZT. I've always meant to give this a shot.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Teenr0cker » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:45 am

There's no time like the present.

I'ma knight. People say it's a pain to be, but when you can mount your pet with no drawbacks and get an Excalibur in a short amount of time, I'd say it's pretty damn good. Just some lame restrictions that don't matter, really.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:47 am

Poenaensis wrote:some of my mates wouldn't play The Way because they were only into 3d. Look what they missed.
Then they are sad faggot wanks with no souls. I've seen a 3D rpg maker-esque program, and frankly, it made me puke. To make 3D games well, you need an industrial-quality development program. Good graphics doesn't grant awesomeness, take the Xbox 360 for example, *shudder*. Tell your friends they need a real life.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby PseudoFlare » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:37 pm

Played Nethack and it kept me glued for awhile.

Only real problem was that I KEPT ON DYING IN THE FIRST 3 DUNGEON LEVELS OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!! *pant*

After about 200 sarcastic deaths I finally made it to the 8th level. Prayed to thy lord thrice and guess what, I got owned by my own god.

I could rant more about what I did in this game... but I'll keep that for myself. Saves lots of time writing nonstop.
PseudoFlare
Plyn

Location: A really short way, just left of your street 3 blocks ahead.

Postby Teenr0cker » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:05 am

Dude....You do know the deal prayer right?

Okay, time to sit down kiddies. Today's lesson is prayer. I am the insomniac teacher, you're all the unwilling students.

Now contrary to what you believe, for once, we are suggesting there be prayer in classrooms. I'll let that one sink in.

Yeeep.

Okay, so firstly, when you are created, you have an affiliation with a god. I'm lawful, so its lough or something that oddly sounds like "law". He's a "good" god, so chasing down a fleeing monster and stabbing it in the back after I knew it wouldnt bug me for a while is considered un-knightly, so I lost a "point" with my god. There is supposedly no limit to how unlawful I can be, but theres a max of 20 points I can have total. When I avoid breaking rules of conduct and wait long enough, I get a point with my god. When I get 20 points, I can pray. I don't often pray, because the only way to be sure that it's a safe time to pray is to make an #offering. First, I gotta find an altar. Then, I gotta kill something, usually a monster. If I make a fresh sacrifice, and it is consumed in a flash of light at the altar, then my god accepted it, assuming the alter is affiliated with my god. If there is a message like "you have a hopeful feeling", it means you gotta wait or kill and #offer more stuff. If no, you can #pray.

Now, you must understand, prayer is not a "I love you!" kinda thing. If I'm in battle and about to die and then I #pray, my god will protect me and most likely heal me. That's begging. That's nagging. My god's busy loving himself. He doesn't want to be bothered with trivial things! It's a pain in the ass. So be careful when praying, or you may find yourself being punished. Literally. Like...ball-and-chain punishment. That one's not fun.

notes on prayer-

Have a potion that was #dipped into water twice or you have a clear potion? This is a vial of water. Drop a few on there and #pray once you have all your points. They become holy water, useful for blessing and uncursing objects.

Also, note that dropping Items on any altar will tell you its B/U/C status. That stands for Blessed/Uncursed/Cursed. You want blessed, but uncursed is okay. Cursed items will need to be removed by special holy means, so be careful. You can tell which are cursed by a black flash as they hit the altar or if they're blessed, which produces an amber flash.

Also, don't #offer on an altar thats not to your god. If you do, theres a chance you'll convert the altar to your alignment, and if there was a priest to that altar, He'll be very upset and possibly a monster will be summoned by the god you just pissed off. No worries, level up a bit and you can take em. They drop some nice stuff too.

I reccommend any of you to try this game. Give me your problems or questions, I'd be happy to help.
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Poenaensis » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:31 am

It is a very good game. The worst one for me was when i put on cursed boots of levitation, which i couldn't take off, so i couldn't go down any more levels.

It can get too addictive.
"Mum, Grandad says he cant get his bottom set of false teeth out."

"Don, are you all right?"

"I can't get my teeth out"

"that's cause they're real"
-----------------------------------------

Grandad's mind gave up on boxing day, to late to get him new one for Christmas, he'll have to wait till his birthday now.
Poenaensis
S2 Hilyn

Postby PseudoFlare » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:34 am

By the way, what do you guys play mostly as?

Usually I'm a Monk or Wizard. Monks have better chance of surviving though in my experience :\

Teenr0cker wrote:Now, you must understand, prayer is not a "I love you!" kinda thing. If I'm in battle and about to die and then I #pray, my god will protect me and most likely heal me. That's begging. That's nagging. My god's busy loving himself. He doesn't want to be bothered with trivial things! It's a pain in the ass. So be careful when praying, or you may find yourself being punished. Literally. Like...ball-and-chain punishment. That one's not fun.

Infact... one time the praying part really did help and he restored my health and hunger meter. Too bad I got killed anyways.

The most stupid thing I did to die was when I attacked a shopkeeper at level 16. Thought I could take him down. Ultimately led to my own death.
PseudoFlare
Plyn

Location: A really short way, just left of your street 3 blocks ahead.

Postby Teenr0cker » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:42 pm

Because I'm addicted to the ability to mount your pet and the only good mount is a pony, I chose the knight.

Plus they dont need boots to jump. And they can #turn the undead, which is like casting a heal spell on a zombie, aka damage for them. It occasionally revives your pet, but I usually just reload the game then.

Pet's don't pick up cursed items, so if they pick something up and drop it a few turns later, that means it's safe.

My list of YASDs (Yet another stupid death) is quite long. I tried to take a shopkeeper. It was bad....He had a spell called...*snicker* Finger of Death. Took me out goooooood.

Once I drank from a fountain and a stream of snakes came out. That was fun. Oh, and I read a cursed scroll of create monster, so a bunch of tough monsters popped out of nowhere, aggro'd, and slaughtered me. I loaded....and reread the scroll...
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Re: Nethack

Postby MusashiEX » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:56 pm

Teenr0cker wrote:Is your name "Strayed"? Go fuck yourself and your glow-in-the-dark dick you care so much about before you even think about spewing another stream of pure homosexual bullshit!

...isn't that just a tiny bit harsh?
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Return to Gaming