WTF?

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby MusashiEX » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:08 pm

Soul Blazer was horrible... What? It is.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:29 pm

On a similar note, what did you guys think of Actraiser?
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:37 pm

Its pretty bad, honestly, while the godgame section was bearable the platformer is totally lame
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:12 pm

Soulblazer... eh... It's definitely the weakest of the SB Trilogy, but it's certainly not "Horrible", at least for a 1992 game. I can defend it that much.

Actraiser is a classic. The whole scenario just exemplifies how Enix went up and beyond back in the day.

Normal game: You play as a knight fighting evil.
Enix game: You posses and reanimate a statue of an knight fighting evil.

Maybe it's not blow-away anymore, but for its time, it was really that extra level of depth that really made me an Enix devotee. So the platforming was a little conventional. The first level is a forest with goblins and whatnot. It's not outstandingly original anymore, but it was a solid engine, and served to break up the city building. And it's still fun, IMO. The city building is probably the most prolific part of the game, and that speaks for itself. But the music... hoo boy.

Gamespot's 'Greatest games of all time' feature wrote:It can't be emphasized enough how exceptional ActRaiser's soundtrack was from both technical and compositional standpoints. The SNES' sound hardware was unmatched at the time, but since the system had just come out, nobody really knew what it could do. Well, musical badass Yuzo Koshiro (of Streets of Rage fame) showed everybody exactly what the SNES could crank out with ActRaiser's amazing score. Orchestral video game soundtracks are the norm these days, but back then, the realistic instrument samples really brought out the beauty of Koshiro's aural backdrop. Even though it was a first-generation SNES game, ActRaiser's score remains one of the finest on the system.

Even today, it's still a great listen. The epic music takes cues from such composers as John Williams and Gustav Holst, and places them in an SNES cartridge. I have mp3s of the orchestral performance of a few of the tracks at the Symphonic Game Music Concert in Leipzig, Germany, and they really bring it to life even further. Delicious.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:10 am

I have to agree with you, Jera, ActRaiser was definitely a really fun game. What do you all think of the Dragon Warrior and Ultima series (a little more old-school, I know)?
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sarcasm » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:43 am

Ultima rocks

Dragon warrior . . . lets just put it this way:

Hurtmore!
Hurtmore!
Hurtmore!
Healmore!
Repeat!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:39 am

Sarcasm wrote:Ultima rocks

Dragon warrior . . . lets just put it this way:

Hurtmore!
Hurtmore!
Hurtmore!
Healmore!
Repeat!

Any RPG:

Hurtmore!
Healmore!
Repeat!

See how it's a lot better than other RPGs?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sarcasm » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:15 pm

But other RPGs don't actually name their spells hurtmore and healmore :P (except D&D, but it suck just as much)
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:38 pm

It's not like anyone looks at the spell names. Most people don't even use spells. They just attack normally, since attacking does lot's of damage when you are level 99.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:59 pm

Sarcasm wrote:But other RPGs don't actually name their spells hurtmore and healmore :P (except D&D, but it suck just as much)

Its better than numbering your spells.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sarcasm » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:31 pm

I disagree, if you would be a researcher who happens to be a wizard, and you discover a series of spells that get progressively stronger but each one requires more resources then the last one, naming them and then numbering them to simplify their use is only logical.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:44 pm

Yeah, but it's really uninventive. The best spell naming system has to be Rudora No Hihou. The whole prefix and suffix thing, and the sheer joy of entering a word like "boob" and finding you've created the sex-spell equivalent of Ultima.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:56 pm

Fitz Tayo wrote:Yeah, but it's really uninventive. The best spell naming system has to be Rudora No Hihou. The whole prefix and suffix thing, and the sheer joy of entering a word like "boob" and finding you've created the sex-spell equivalent of Ultima.

Seconded for great justice. The mantra system in that game has to be one of the most inventive game mechanics for an RPG to date.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Ferios » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:28 pm

It's rather late, but that's a great collage. SNES was the Golden Age.

The only one of those I didn't have on my computer was Dragon View. And now I have it. Not that it's particularly as good as, say, Star Ocean, Earthbound, or Dual Orb II, but it is worthy of being downloaded.

Actraiser was one of the better SNES games. However, Actraiser II, in it's all-platformer glory, got too boring and repetitive for me.

In Soul Blazer's defense, it had a neat system for it's day. It's also the only one of it's series that I've beaten. Haven't managed to finish Illusion of Gaia. I keep hitting snags of disintrest every time I try.

The origional Dragon Warrior was one of the only games that I could sit down with, play for two hours, and beat it in the same sitting. It doesn't really have any replay value beyond that, though. >.>
The ones for SNES were a good deal better, I think. Haven't beaten any of them.

Star Ocean, on the other hand, has so much replay value that I can't pay attention enough to keep one game going and have to start over all the time. I've had that problem with it's more modern childer as well.

Haven't managed to finish Rudora no Hihou, either. But I probably will soon, just to play as Dune. Think I'm stuck on Riza's quest.
Edit: Finished Surlent's first because his quest was the most interesting. On Sion's final boss and can't defeat it, and Riza's only on day 3.

Personally, I don't and probably never will consider Harvest Moon an RPG. It's just.. A farming sim. And I can't find any entertainment in it. Fighting rocks, weeds, and stumps in the farm from Breath of Fire II was much more fun.

I wouldn't call it the best, but Terranigma is a good, if long, game. Overworld Elly isn't very nice, though. She never made me a special cloak that I would need to get through a certain area and would then never use again.
"Madness takes it's toll.. Please have exact change."
Ferios
Plyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:21 pm

Sion's final boss was easily the hardest of the three. All I can recommend is that you don't have any elemental armor of any sort except for dark defense. I seem to recall just having some characters with no armor pieces at all. There are also monsters in the underworld called bone knights or something that drop a really good shield, IIRC.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming