WTF?

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:45 am

Sarcasm wrote:Are you kidding? that was the golden age of RPGs.

That's only because you want to be one of those people who pretend everything in the past was better for sake of looking like a veteran. As much as I like to bitch about RPGs getting worse these days, it's only because we had so many games thrown at us since the Playstation era and not too many of them were worthy of existence.

Nothing will change the fact that FF7 was a great game at the time, possibly the best when it comes to gameplay. We only allow games to pass the test of time because we already hold them in high regard and we don't want to let go. The story was quite poor, so poor in fact, that I don't even recall trying to follow it while playing the game, and that's pretty bad, you're talking to a man who watches and reads hentai for the sake of the stories.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:23 am

Actually, no, Most RPGs back then sucked too, but back then the awesome to sucky ratio was a lot better.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:19 am

I'm not even gonna question why you're arguing the exact thing I am, but you say "Actually, no". In retrospect, my full post probably would've let you realize that, but I wanted to avoid being Teen.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:15 pm

SNES wasn't the golden age of RPGs? Oh, I beg to differ.

(Yes, I know I put mystic quest in there. Blow me. And yes, I didn't include EVERY snes rpg in there, so don't jump on me "waah you forgot Villgust!" or some shit like that. And don't start a "But Zelda isn't really a..." train either)
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby CJ » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:31 pm

Buhamut Lagoon is awesome... It's pretty funny in the untranslated version how they spelled temporary as temporally.

We never got ANY SNES RPGs other than Zelda...
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:32 pm

You know very well that a fair portion of those games weren't translated or available in the U.S. until later, which doesn't allow them to be part of this "Golden Age of RPGs". Not to mention that I am definitely not a fan of a bunch of those games, but that's not really the point.

Just to make sure you understand why this is. We were discussing games prior to FF7, more importantly, games we were capable of playing at that time. The claim was that the time (while I specifically said prior to ps2,etc., that was probably a mistake) in question was the "Golden Age", and since my argument was the perception of FF7 was based on what we had to play prior to it, those games couldn't have counted.

If we actually had all of those games to play at the time, I can't say I could argue that we had few games, and even fewer decent games. Although I could say that several games in recent history could rival the overall gameplay and stories of many SNES games.
Last edited by Strayed Wanderer on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby CJ » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:35 pm

Was there any good RPGs on Megadrive other than Phantasy Star and Wonderboy in Monster World? I need something to play and i haven't paid much attention to Sega recently.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:32 pm

FF7 was blow-away for its time, and lots of fun. 9 years later, it isn't.

All these SNES games weren't necessarily blow-away for their age, but certainly fun. Up to 15 years later, they're still fun. That's what I'm saying the difference is. And if you're really adamant about the Japanese thing, exclude them and it's still the same.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby CJ » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:53 pm

is one of those games called Terranigma for the win?
if not what does the FTW stand for?
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:03 am

Heh, I added the FTW in there. My #1 Video/Computer game of all time.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sarcasm » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:45 am

I never really understood what people saw in Terranigma, its just another action RPG with a small gimmick.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:45 am

Terranigma owns all. There can be no argument about it... well there can be, but nobody would listen because it's such an awesome game.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:00 pm

Strayed Wanderer wrote:I'm not even gonna question why you're arguing the exact thing I am, but you say "Actually, no". In retrospect, my full post probably would've let you realize that, but I wanted to avoid being Teen.

I'm gonna go ahead and laugh at you, because I would see no point in elaborating on that issue more than just "Uh, aren't you saying the same thing as me?". And if you say "in retrospect", it sounds like you did write one, so it doesn't matter what you posted, I'm convinced you did. It's okay to justify your reasoning with proof Strayed. Just keep glowing green dicks out of it. I know that'll be a challenge for you.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:31 am

I make some input into this discussion, but Jera's Golden Age collage has got my playing through Ogre Battle again.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:20 am

In retrospect, I can't believe I forgot Front Mission. It used to be in my top 5 games of all time. I must not have a ROM for it any more, since for the collage I just went through my snes collection and picked out rpgs that I like. If you love "tactics" style strategy games with isometric graphics, love mechs, and love micromanaging equipment for each unit, Front Mission is godly. Hell, I dislike tactics games and micromanagement immensely, but I couldn't get enough of this. It's Japanese, but there's a great full fan-translation out there. Juicy graphics, meaty gameplay, great sound, the works.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming