If there's only ONE really old game you play this summer

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Sarcasm » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:43 am

Greatchickenman wrote:My IQ is 450.

My emotional intelligence is over five thousand!!!
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:49 pm

You are right. The "over nine thousand" thing is really annoying.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:57 pm

Sarcasm wrote:

Yeah, Sarcasm. Applying that to things that are actually quantified by numbers is a step in the right direction, but that's still a lousy-tie in.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Teenr0cker » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:30 pm

On to myst 4. Exile's (myst 3) final set of puzzles was a pain to understand for a while. It was one of those "a major part of the answer has been with you the whole time" dealies. Ugh. Glad that's done.

First impression of Myst 4 is great. The quality and interactivity has increased significantly with a sort of "Tap" feature, which can generate the nice little effects like rippling water or playing a sound related to the noise it should make in real life (knocking on wood, tapping glass panes, etc).

The zip feature is a little different from the traditional method. It is give-and-take in my opinion, because the old style allowed quick functioning by changing your cursor to the zip symbol to indicate you can skip ahead through a boring stretch without any extra work to activate it. However, the new feature is more like a teleport feature, with certain main checkpoints accessible in a flash from any location. However, the points are few and far sometimes and the feature must be activated by unlocking the camera from the mouse so the mouse can select from the inventory/in-game menu (without moving the camera). This is a slight change that for players of the first 3 installments might not get used to so easily as a newcomer would.

The music is fantastic (I have it set to on all the time) and the game features 3-D environment in a sense. You can spin a full 360 degrees at any angle, but you are still planted in place in set locations. Myst I was completely stationary, and I believe so was Riven (Myst II), while Exile (III) was a bold step with a non-stationary camera for a range of angles, but not the full 360 degrees Myst IV offers.

The one other personal quirk I should mention is a big one: There is now an in-game camera and a journal to keep notes for each picture you take. This is a HUGE step. Trust me, it truly is. I find my little notebook filled with musings, notes, and some solutions to the most difficult of puzzles, but I know those entries may at last have ended. Rendered useless is my hand-drawn listing of their alphabet, which took a deal of time to get accurately given I copied their sometimes grainy images from the game with no tools other than my pencil, paper, and my eyes. After Riven I wondered if I would use this information, and now I know the answer.

However, I am not saying the feature is not without merit. It's a great time saver and very convenient!

Oh well, off to play some more or something. I must look into buying Myst V then the Uru games as well. I recently saw a banner for Uru and it made me smile warmly, knowing there was more to come for this incredible series.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sarcasm » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:00 pm

EmperorJeramyu wrote:
Sarcasm wrote:

Yeah, Sarcasm. Applying that to things that are actually quantified by numbers is a step in the right direction, but that's still a lousy-tie in.

Caught by my clever trap like a fly, you are, notice I wrote five thousand.

pwnt lawl
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:07 pm

Sarcasm wrote:
EmperorJeramyu wrote:
Sarcasm wrote:

pwnt lawl

Right, that's why I didn't explicitly say "the over 9000 thing", I just said "that", painting a broader scope.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Greatchickenman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:40 pm

It's a double punk!
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:18 am

EmperorJeramyu wrote:
Sarcasm wrote:
EmperorJeramyu wrote:
Sarcasm wrote:

pwnt lawl

Right, that's why I didn't explicitly say "the over 9000 thing", I just said "that", painting a broader scope.

But how could you know that I tied that if the two of them are not related in the slightest? logicaly, if your post would cover the original meme, it would also cover all numbers above nine thousand, not below it, the number I have given had no relations to the meme at all, it was just a number, thus by saying "that" and "a step in the right direction" you have doomed yourself given the fact your definition of that was USED FOR THE FIRST TIME!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:31 am

"over five thousand!!!!!!!!!!!" and "over nine thousand!!!!!!!!!!!!!" seem pretty similar to me. The exclamation points really gave it away.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sarcasm » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:17 am

Ah, but I haven't used 1s, or more then 3 marks.
I am fucking brilliant
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby avatarmonkeykirby » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:31 pm

Sarcasm wrote:Ah, but I haven't used 1s, or more then 3 marks.
I am fucking brilliant
Another word comes to mind when you say brilliant. But I'll be nice and not say it.

Wow, you got through the first three about as fast as I did. I'm on number four as well. Keep it up.
True love lies in complete adherence to Newton's third law.
S1 Hilyn

Postby Sarcasm » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:49 pm

Stop avatarizing irony, the job is already taken.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:39 pm

By whom?

I finally learned how to use "whom".
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Impossible » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:45 am

Who = subject (he, she, the thing taking the action)
Whom = object (him, her, the thing having an action done to it)

Damn people who butcher languages whom I hate.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby CJ » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:45 am

Impossible wrote:Who = subject (he, she, the thing taking the action)
Whom = object (him, her, the thing having an action done to it)

Damn people who butcher languages whom I hate.

like those african american gangsters?
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming