If there's only ONE really old game you play this summer

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

If there's only ONE really old game you play this summer

Postby Teenr0cker » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:04 pm

...It must be Myst!

Yes, Myst, the best old-ass point-and-click puzzle game I can think of out there. I am reminded by my friend of a time where it was in 256 colors and was put onto separate floppy discs, but I don't care. I've gotten Myst, Riven, and Exile (the first 3) for only 20 bucks! Not too shabby! They even had the graphics upped to 16-bit color and slapped it onto a DVD.

As you wander around the isle of Myst, you discover two books in a library: A red book and a blue book. Placing a page colored either red or blue into their respective books will allow you to gain access to a conversation with a brother trapped inside the book. Although the message is not entirely clear at that point, they repeatedly (and desperately) request more pages of their color. They also advise you not to trust the other brother.

Exploration of the various "ages", accessed by one of four hidden books on the Isle of myst, will present you with more interesting puzzles and also a look into each brother's life a little bit more. Red loves riches, is an alcoholic, and also a druggie, while Blue seems to be mentally unstable and sadistic. It's up to you to choose which is the right path! Or is there a third path?

Anywho, it's a great game, I enjoyed playing it, all 2 days of on-and-off playing. If you spend more than 10 hours, you probably need a guide or a hint. I'm looking forward to playing the next game soon, as soon as I feel inclined to install it.

I highly suggest you get a few pieces of blank paper, maybe even graphing paper. Several of these puzzles take more than a smidge of good short-term memory.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Flibbo » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:25 am

That game seriously pissed me off. After about a millenia of walking around randomly clicking things i found myself with nothing left to accoumplish. It wasn't until about a year later that i found out i had completed the game and just not realised it -.-
Tele wrote:Define a cool genital wart.
Flibbo
S1 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:53 am

Myst is fun. It's lame, but fun.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sarcasm » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:56 am

Burn in the flaming fires of Janwen, Myst was awesome, though overrated.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:59 am

Sarcasm wrote:Burn in the flaming fires of Janwen, Myst was awesome, though overrated.

If you're gonna play point and click games, might as well play a good one. I liked Riviera better.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sarcasm » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:10 am

Never said Myst was the best one out there, just that it was good, are you telling me that now that you have played The Way you won't play another RPG ever again?
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Occurrence of Something » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:35 pm

Dude, Teen, is this the first time you played? I beat Myst back on the old Macintosh when I was 10 (9 years ago).
Porter: lets play, truth or dare
Porter: war you first
Porter: truth or dare
WarV: truth???
Porter: ok: the truth:
Porter: YOU SUCK
Porter: HAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHAW
Porter: HSfjksdfhsadf
WarV: That is not how it works.
Occurrence of Something
S1 Hilyn

Postby Wellsy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:42 pm

Man, I think I first played Myst a long time ago, maybe about 10 years, when the embedded Quicktime movies were still the shit. I wasted many an hour on it - very fun at the time.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby MusashiEX » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:06 pm

Sarcasm wrote:Never said Myst was the best one out there, just that it was good, are you telling me that now that you have played The Way you won't play another RPG ever again?

I only think that The Way is the best in terms of story. I only play other RPGs for gameplay.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:25 pm

I've been playing Enter The Cave again recently. I don't why, but it's addictively fun.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:47 pm

Occurrence of Something wrote:Dude, Teen, is this the first time you played? I beat Myst back on the old Macintosh when I was 10 (9 years ago).

v.v

My shame demands an emote, it is so grand. I lived a very sheltered life, with shitty shitty computers (My last one had the 5-inch floppy drive and a tape drive) and even shittier games (All those god-forsaken "jumpstart" games, you know, "Jumpstart Kindergarten" and shit?).

My lifestyle had been mainly one that would often discourage such joyous gameplay.

And yes, it's fuckin' old. I know. I've got the 10th anniversary edition. Also, I'm trying to run riven (even with compatibility mode on) and it won't fuckin' work.

Flibbo wrote:That game seriously pissed me off. After about a millennium of walking around randomly clicking things i found myself with nothing left to accomplish. It wasn't until about a year later that i found out i had completed the game and just not realized it -.-

Did you simply skip all of the cut scenes or something? That was the big reward...You got to dick around with the 4, deserted, useless ages until the Father needed you again. My buddy was right, the ending's a let-down to say the least.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:27 pm

Just a quick update:

I killed the beastly quick-time and then installed an older version off the DVD. It works, but I must work fast to end this hindrance to my browsing and other semi-important stuffs.
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Angel_OA » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:57 pm

If I had to play just one really old game this summer it would probably be Super Metroid. The SNES rocked! Also a lot of the features in Super Metroid are being brought to the Wii's Metroid Prime 3.
From what my barber told me, I now knew that nothing was real.
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:30 pm

Bam! Riven! Done! 10 pages of notes and scribblings and stark mad theories later and I have succeeded!

Too bad the endings only slightly less-sucky than the first one.

A break before I do Myst 3, because I should at least try and half-ass my finals this week.
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby HolsteinCow » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:22 pm

I played this when I was six or somewhat those years. I distinctly remember:

A switch that turned off as soon as you turned it on.
    A library that you could only get to underwater which was filled with worthless burnt books.
    Some underground cave.
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." (Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio)
HolsteinCow
S5 Hilyn

Next

Return to Gaming