Brains!

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Brains!

Postby Teenr0cker » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:45 pm

Here's a pretty picture for Strayed and War, because Strayed hates long topics and War can't read.

I was cleaning out my room a few weeks back and came across stacks of old Official Xbox Magazines, which I no longer subscribed to because the current demo disks have essentially jack shit for the original Xbox and I don't feel like getting a 360 yet. So I was piling them up and on the back of one, I saw an ad for an old game called "Stubbs the Zombie" from a company called "Aspyr Media" which apparently was formed from some people who left Bungie studios and they used the Halo (1) engine to make this game. My interest reignited.

A demo is available on Steam, who recently bought rights to distribute it last May (coincidence?) and I don't care for the full game from Steam. It's available for Mac and PC (as well as XBOX, but whoop dee doo) and I got it fairly fast from The Pirate Bay (.com) so I highly recommend it.

You essentially run around eating brains, building up an undead army to do your bidding. Controlling them is limited to their instinctive following of you, their leader, being shoved in the appropriate direction by you, or coming hither to you once you whistle for their attention.

Sadly, it seems like only about 10 will follow perfectly in difficult to navigate places, like narrow hallways. But 10 suffices quite nicely, really.

Oh, and when you feed on a fresh victim, your health is replenished and your various abilities are partially filled. You can throw a pancreas that will act essentially just like a plasma grenade, killing enemies if not damaging them. You can do a fart that stuns enemies, allowing you to eat their brains unhindered. You can roll your head like a bowling ball and make it set off a pancreas-grenade-like explosion, infecting all who were hit and those near the explosion. Oh, and you can tear off your arm and have it run around like the Thing from The Adams family until you find a living victim and take control of them, which then allows you to operate guns and turrets. Oh, and you can drive jeeps and tanks (as a zombie or human, doesn't matter) so they put most of the features of the Halo engine in there.

I love the super-futuristic-50's theme this takes place in. And the soundtracks are Moldy-Oldies redone by modern bands; they're not bad.

Oh, and there are tons of really funny moments in the game, so I highly recommend this game. Here's a few clips:

Trailer

A very funny minigame, essentially Simon

Some decent gameplay demonstrating some abilities including ripping off victims arms and using them as clubs, controlling humans and using their guns/rockets, farting, gut grenades, and beating humans with their own arms.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Telephalsion » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:27 am

I'm so going to try this game.
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:49 am

Replayability value is pretty low though.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:54 am

Yeah, you could say that. I'm redoing it on hardest for the commentary, I'm a completion kind of gamer, so it's sort of required :P

A lot of reviews will bitch about how short it was. They prolly played it on easy or normal.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:34 am

This game was released ages ago, but yeah, it is good...
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:47 am

Released in Fall of 2005. I'm wondering why Valve picked it up.
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:30 pm

It's quite simple. They used their combined psycic powers to see time travel in order to come to the conclusion that by doing so it would cause you to produce this post, thus pissing Strayed and War off in a single yet intricately woven blow.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Return to Gaming