Anyone know a good DS game?

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Greatchickenman » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:53 pm

Get No$Gba. It works decently on most commercial games if you get the save type correct and you have a good computer.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:28 pm

Greatchickenman wrote:I seriously couldn't stand the circus case. It felt so extremely boring to me.

I agree, that was entirely boring for some reason. And I think I grinded that case, in a manner of speaking. During the evidence collection, it felt like I was simply examining every room as much as I could then presenting every last scrap of evidence to every person until a new "talk" topic came up. Some of the evidence was a stretch. And JESUS CHRIST I hate that clown.

For the record, I wonder how many times von Karma said any various form of the word "Fool". Bitch needs a thesaurus.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Elachim » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:31 pm

Greatchickenman wrote:Get No$Gba. It works decently on most commercial games if you get the save type correct and you have a good computer.

Seconded.
Thinks he knows more about the Plunge than you.
Elachim
S2 Hilyn

Postby MusashiEX » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:11 am

Does anyone else like Edgeworth more than Wright?
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:10 pm

Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby MusashiEX » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:34 pm

Denial is not a river in Egypt.

By the way, did anyone else notice how Mia has to position her arms so that she doesn't pull a Janet Jackson? Especially when Pearl's channeling her.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:22 am

Yes. That was all I looked at...Those sweet, sweet pixelated boobs. I think there was dialog, but I didn't care. -_-

</sarcasm>

It's from Japan for christ sake. What'd you expect?
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby MusashiEX » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:35 am

I expected her to hold up a tit and lick it.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Impossible » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:03 am

Teenr0cker wrote:EBA...I may have to get that. In one sitting I'm already through two cases out of the supposed 4. Shit. Are you also recommending Etrian Odyssey? I've got some cash to blow on games and I'm afraid the fun will end with Phoenix Wright and Resident Evil 4 on the Wii.

Yeah, four cases in JFA, although they're longer than in the first game, so the overall game size isn't really much shorter overall. You've played the first, right?

I probably like Phoenix a little more than Edgeworth, because Edgeworth doesn't appear anywhere near often enough in the second game, and the third from what I hear. And even in the case he's in in JFA, it's not as entertaining anymore for some reason. But what I really love about Edgeworth is the whole dynamic he developers with Phoenix throughout the first game. Especially when they both turn on Vasquez.

Phoenix: *hits desk* ...
Judge: Yes, Mr. Wright?
Phoenix: I was hoping I'd come up with a question while pounding on my desk. I didn't.
Judge: ... You have my sympathies.
Phoenix: (Damn... damn!) (To come so far, only to fail...)
Judge: As it seems there are no further questions... I would like to end the cross-examination of the witness, Ms. Vasquez.
Edgeworth: OBJECTION! ...
Judge: Yes, Mr. Edgeworth?
Edgeworth: I was hoping to come up with a question while I was objecting, Your Honor... I didn't.
Judge: I see...

I don't recommend EO for everyone, so you may want to learn a bit about it first. 1UP has a great review (a rarity for them) that looks largely at what's good about the game, but I can kind of understand giving it a low score because it's not very accessible. Still, most of the massive difficulty is early on, and I think that causes people to judge it too fast. If you work hard enough to build a good team with good skills, the game gets easier, although I guess the reviewers probably had no idea how to do that. The GameFAQs EO board is a good place to learn.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations will be out soon-ish, so keep some money for that. Definitely get EBA, though.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:39 pm

Unfortunately, I never got the first one, but I'm in the process of getting it. Unfortunately, I know from dialog in this game that I get the pleasure of meeting "Lotta hart", "Mr Powers," and "Ms Oldbag" in the first one. Also, sounds like I know that Powers is innocent of whatever crime he's accused of, so...shit.

The order for the first game shall make it to California by the time I return. I'm on the final case in JFA, in the first part of the trial against Edgeworth. I'll have it done by the time I'm back in California for a day, for sure.

I read the review for EO and it sounds interesting enough to try and play. I'm into that sort of stuff. Also, I saw Trials and Tribulations was going to be released soon because when I looked up info on JFA, I accidentally hit a link for T&T. Imagine my surprise when I thought I had a game that was being released in a few weeks from Walmart.

Best quote:

The game also features perhaps the nerdiest acronym in RPG history: Its minibosses are dubbed "FOE," short for Foedus Obrepit Errabundus, Latin for "the vile, wandering one sneaks up."

Hrm, when I read the review, it mentioned "Izuna", something about an unemployed ninja. That looks like a good game too:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uul3KzA2t2w

Shit I will so be broke by the time college starts. If I can get the roms to work, maybe I'll just emulate some of them.
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby MusashiEX » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:13 am

Slight SPOILERS (EDIT: for the last JFA case):

Everyone Phoenix defended in the first two games was innocent except for the last case for JFA, so you didn't spoil much by playing the games out of order. It wouldn't work if your clients are all guilty. You'd get a game over for each trial.

But everyone already knows that. And Izuna is not that good. Extremely repetitive. Dungeon crawl, talk to everyone once, dungeon crawl, talk to everyone once, dungeon crawl, talk to everyone once, dungeon crawl, talk to everyone once, dungeon crawl, talk to everyone once, dungeon crawl, talk to everyone once, dungeon crawl, talk to everyone once, dungeon crawl, talk to everyone once, dungeon crawl, talk to everyone once, dungeon crawl, talk to everyone once, dungeon crawl, talk to everyone once, dungeon crawl, talk to everyone once, dungeon crawl, talk to everyone once, ect.

And there's only four or five types of enemies. Everything else is the same monster with a different colour sprite. The bosses are extremely easy. I just stood infront of them and mashed buttons. My bad, button.
Last edited by MusashiEX on Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Elachim » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:20 am

...And you call it "not that good?"

Sounds awful to me.
Thinks he knows more about the Plunge than you.
Elachim
S2 Hilyn

Postby MusashiEX » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:45 am

I like dungeon crawlers.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sarcasm » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:27 am

MusashiEX wrote:I like dungeon crawlers.

Even Laxius Power is better then this silly Secret of Mana wanabe . . .

And Baldur's Gate is the ultimate dungeon crawler, never forget that.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:50 am

Teenr0cker wrote:Unfortunately, I never got the first one, but I'm in the process of getting it. Unfortunately, I know from dialog in this game that I get the pleasure of meeting "Lotta hart", "Mr Powers," and "Ms Oldbag" in the first one. Also, sounds like I know that Powers is innocent of whatever crime he's accused of, so...shit.

What you can look forward to is that all of those characters are MUCH better and more entertaining in the first game, because the dialogue in general is written better. Unlike in JFA, the first game's humour comes largely from the interactions between the characters. And the reactions of Phoenix, Edgeworth, Maya and the Judge to people like Oldbag and Lotta are hilarious... Oldbag in particular is one of the funniest characters in the game. The entire case she's in is a riot, and it's the one I quoted earlier.

I wouldn't worry too much about knowing that Powers is innocent, as all the defendants in the first game are anyway. However, it's a damn shame you haven't played the games in chronological order, because you'd enjoy the story more that way by properly understanding the backgrounds of the major characters. Edgeworth in particular is going to be really out of context for you.

Izuna is okay, but it's also really hard, unless you level up a lot. It's one of those "Mystery Dungeon" games with randomly generated dungeons and lots of floors. If you die, or turn the game off without doing a suspend save (the only save you can do), you lose all the money and items you had on you and not in storage. It can be pretty randomly cruel, but if you like that kind of thing, it's not bad. More of a strategy game than an Action game, so don't think it's meant to be like Secret of Mana. It's not as interesting as EO, though. I'd definitely suggest quite a few other DS games over it.

By the way, Mushashi, what the hell? Teen says he's in the middle of playing the last case of JFA, so you spoil it for him? Nice.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming