Anyone know a good DS game?

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Anyone know a good DS game?

Postby MusashiEX » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:45 am

I have the Phoenix Wrights, the Castlevanias, the crappy Harvest Moon, Advance War, Hotel Dusk, and a few others. Are there any other games with a good story?
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Impossible » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:57 am

A good game and a game with a good story may not be the same thing. You already have the Phoenix Wrights anyway, and that's the best story on the DS by far (followed by Hotel Dusk). The third game is coming out soon, too. There's also Trace Memory, made by the same people as Hotel Dusk. It's insanely short, though. Until PW3, I guess you could pick an RPG that appeals to you. RPGs on the DS are kind of lacking, though. There are some good ones (like Mario & Luigi and Etrian Odyssey, but you won't play either of those for story and only M&L has a good one), but none of them feel must-have in the way Golden Sun or the first Mario & Luigi did for the GBA. Still, I think depending on someone's tastes, just about anyone could find an RPG they'd enjoy on the DS, even if there isn't a universally awesome one.

If you just want awesome games regardless of story, the following are probably the best you could possibly get that you didn't list:

New Super Mario Bros
Elite Beat Agents
Kirby Canvas Curse
Mario Kart DS

It would help if I knew the few other games you had, though.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby MusashiEX » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:33 am

I have Trace Memory, Etrian Oddysey, Anno 1701, FFIII, Hoshigami, RE:DS, and those that I mentioned before. I'll see about getting Mario Kart. I heard it's pretty good.

And I prefer story over almost everything else.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:05 pm

The current god-forsaken craze on the DS that I know about is the new Pokemon duo (My pokemans, let me show you them).

But I refuse to buy them! I refuse! Mainly because I'd get addicted to the insane mechanics involved.

On that note, I played Gabe in a Poke Battle at Comicon. I borrowed my buddy's game and DS, but I had to use lower level pokemon than what he'd specialized because Gabe was still in the 50-60 range. If my order had been different, I could have taken his first guy out on the first turn, but sadly that did not happen. Gabe was a good sport, especially when he kicked my ass. Interestingly enough, Tycho still holds an interest, it is just he's done once he gets to the Elite Four, so his Pokemans were inferior to the crazy-mechanic-produced pokemans, as he put it.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby MusashiEX » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:26 am

*steps away slowly*

I stopped play Pokemon after I realized that I couldn't Catch 'em all!
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:18 am

Get Puzzle Quest.

Or be like me and emulate as many games as you can, and wait for an actually decent emulator to come out.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:26 am

Some of your other games aren't so great from what I hear, but bonus points for Etrian Odyssey. Great game.

Elite Beat Agents probably has the best story of any rhythm game you could ever play, although it's not really a great story by normal game standards. Still, it's funny and very entertaining.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby MusashiEX » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:49 am

I got to the second floor in Etrian Oddysey. Hard as hell. Reminds me of TES:Arena.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:49 pm

Lunar Knights was a pretty good game. The story was decent. The only real problem with it was too short, like almost every other DS game out so far.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:52 pm

This just in

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All completely rocks my socks. It's fantastic and interesting. Impy was right to say it's a great series because it IS! I love it!
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:07 am

Etrian Odyssey's difficulty has a lot to do with how good you build your party and choose your skills. Initially you don't really have any skills, so it can be especially hard.

People should listen to my game recommendations more often. Most people here would probably love Phoenix Wright - it's just a perfect mix of an amazing story and hilarious dialogue. And Elite Beat Agents is just awesome.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:50 am

I seriously couldn't stand the circus case. It felt so extremely boring to me.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:44 pm

Impossible wrote:Etrian Odyssey's difficulty has a lot to do with how good you build your party and choose your skills. Initially you don't really have any skills, so it can be especially hard.

And Elite Beat Agents is just awesome.

EBA...I may have to get that. In one sitting I'm already through two cases out of the supposed 4. Shit. Are you also recommending Etrian Odyssey? I've got some cash to blow on games and I'm afraid the fun will end with Phoenix Wright and Resident Evil 4 on the Wii.
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sarcasm » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:09 pm

There's Advance Wars: Dual Strike.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Telephalsion » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:26 am

does anyone know of a ds emulator?
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Next

Return to Gaming