Anyone know a good DS game?

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby MusashiEX » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:53 am

I clearly marked the spoiler. Even before the edit.

EDIT: And now it's boldfaced, in italics, and underlined.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sarcasm » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:30 am

Izuna is okay, but it's also really hard

. . .
Despite how little this must mean to you, I have just lost all the respect I ever had for you.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:36 am

You may have marked spoilers, but not very obviously, nor was it clear what the spoilers were for until you'd already spoilt it. It wasn't really appropriate to mention that.

When you initially start playing Izuna, pretty much anything can kill you. And if you die, which you will many times, there's no resetting, you lose all your money and items and you're basically screwed. Most reviews of the game discuss the high difficulty as a prominent aspect. So you can't say I'm wrong about that.

But Izuna isn't entirely bad, once you can get over that. Prioritising enemies, getting yourself into strategic positions, managing a limited inventory, and developing your weapons adds quite a bit of strategy to the game, and it's fun for what it is. I'm not even a really big fan of those randomly generated, enemies-take-a-step-every-time-you-do games, but Izuna has a pretty decent approach to the genre.

Still, I've only played through a couple of dungeons of it, so I can't say if it's particularly good over all. I could see myself getting extremely bored as the dungeons get longer and more repetitive.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sarcasm » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:36 am

People also say that Command and Conquer is a strategy game,
people are stupid.

I am not saying it can't be fun, I am just saying that there is zero strategy in that game, and thus, it is not hard - much like an MMO, you can either grind or lose, or trust your m4d 5killZ to do something you are not supposed to do before grinding.

This problem is also prominent in the .HACK series.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:50 pm

By the way, Mushashi, what the hell? Teen says he's in the middle of playing the last case of JFA, so you spoil it for him? Nice.

I appreciate the concern. Lucky for me, I still browse posts by avatar/signature if it's flashy or has a distinguishing banner or some such. So like right now I'm interested in what you had to say, so I kind of search for the Nintendo and The Way banners or the VGCats avatars instead of looking for, say, Sushi's avatar. It's an odd habit, but it seems it saved me some grief. Cheers, and thankee kindly.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sarcasm » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Just you wait until I make 14 more posts . . .
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:20 am

You are by FAR in the minority if you don't think that Izuna is hard. It's true that you can make it easy by grinding, but that's the case of any RPG, no matter how much skill or strategy is involved, so that's a stupid complaint. It's still a pretty damn hard game and almost everyone who has played it knows that. The fact is, Mystery Dungeon games do employ quite a bit of strategy in knowing how to stay alive for a long time, in knowing the best ways to take on enemies (especially large groups attacking from various directions) and use the environment around you, and in dealing with various other threats. As well as making strategic and effective use of your other items and weapons without wasting them, and without wasting the limited inventory space. Why the hell would you grind just to take all the fun out of it?
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:41 am

There is one strategy in C&C. It's called winning.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:43 pm

Impossible wrote:Sensible RPG Conduct

Yeah, sometimes I grind, but mainly for minimum requirements, like being able to get through a dungeon or a boss fight so it's not insane or too difficult.

Well, maybe if I play it through a few times, yeah, I'll super-grind. You know, the "do-it-all, get-it-all" play-through.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Elachim » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:50 am

Wheeeee! The super grind! Like the time I had 100 Ultima spells junctioned to my each of my FFVIII chars... along with 100 meteor, flare, and so on... I was practically invincible to any element.
Thinks he knows more about the Plunge than you.
Elachim
S2 Hilyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:01 am

I'd like to say I have no need to selectively read posts to avoid spoilers, because I just finished the final trial. Firstly, and most importantly, Franzika Von Karma crying? Oh sweet christ muffins, I've waited for that for so long, unknowingly.

Secondly, I don't think I've ever seen a transceiver sweat before. That was interesting.

Then, that drawing was pretty interesting. Really made me smile, so...nice effect.

And finally, I gave the badge to Edgeworth the first time, then read up that I could give the whip for a better reaction. I'm a sucker for alternate endings, no matter the magnitude of a difference; my three save files for each ending in Breath of Fire 2 is proof of that. Meh, interesting. Can't wait for the prequel and the sequel, in that order.

Despite the fulfilling conclusion, I'll still selectively read, as it is and was my nature for some time. Though Sarcasm's fist-shaking promise has me curious. Curious with fear.

PS: "sweet christ muffins"? Shit, that sounds crazy.
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:28 am

Trials and Tribulations isn't a prequel, it's a sequel as well. Two of the cases are flashbacks in which you play as Mia.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:46 am

http://www.finalturnabout.com/pdrive/nws1.html

Read on. If you dare.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:06 am

WHY WAS FRANZISKA PROSECUTING LARRY WHEN SHE'S NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE COUNTRY, AND WHEN THE HELL DID LARRY GET FOUND GUILTY OF ANYTHING? That video is hilarious, though, so I don't really mind how little fucking sense it makes. "His alibi collapses with this evidence product!!" "Oh snap!!! I do not hear such a truth...!?"

That translation is quite possibly funnier than the original Resident Evil's. Or would be with English voice acting. I swear, some of it seems intentionally funny. (Where the hell did "Oh snap!!!" come from?) Even more so considering the translator somehow got most of the names and nicknames of characters and places right, including somehow forming a pun on Phoenix's name which I can't imagine the Japanese version of.

That was an awful fuckload of story to get to for some really hilariously bad hentai.

Shit, if this is leading to Phoenix having sex with Oldbag, I will fucking kill whoever made this game. I'm not sure I should keep going...
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:24 am

You shouldn't keep going because it leads to something equally as bad. Fortunately it's been removed from the site.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming