Knytt/ Knytt Stories

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Knytt/ Knytt Stories

Postby Teenr0cker » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:47 am

It sounds silly, but it's a great and simple game. I highly recommend all the games on this site:

http://nifflas.ni2.se/index.php?main=01Home
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:05 am

Wow, you read my mind. I totally wanted to make this topic. >_> Knytt Stories just came out, right? I really need to play that. I finally beat Knytt a couple of days ago, and am attempting to play Within a Deep Forest, but it's much harder.

I heard something about there being some secrets in Knytt, though, and I never found any. Anybody have some idea? I'd love to get some more play time out of it, because it's too short for something so cool. And Knytt Stories is really pretty different, from what I've seen so far, as it's not just one gigantic level.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:59 am

Yeah, they apparently released KS 3 days earlier than announced (!!). I like it, it has a Metroid feel to it in that you unlock certain areas once you gain new abilities. It's good clean wholesome platforming fun and I like how dedicated the community is, making their own decent maps and stuff.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:13 am

I've been a fan of Nifflas' stuff for a while now, and yeah, it's all intensely cool. Knytt is brilliant, and Within a Deep Forest is awesome too, but a notch harder. Knytt stories is really great too. An individual story can be pretty much the same size as the original Knytt, so don't worry about size. I suggest downloading all the story packs featured on the official site. And the premier feature of Stories is that it comes with a level editor. I haven't checked it out yet, but I would assume it's awesome.

And for the record here's a nifty fansite with lots of cool goodies and other things not on the official page.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Impossible » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:00 am

WaDF has some ridiculously hard parts. I've got most of the balls now. (Heh, I said balls.) What the fuck is up with this place with invisible things that instantly kill you? I managed to get through like one screen of it and gave up.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:55 pm

I have the first five balls (damn, he took my joke). There's this one odd hint level where they mention Utopioca. I got frustrated with it too. How many balls do you have?

Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:58 am

I've finished it now. The NPC in that screen is just referring to the main Utopioca area, which is actually awesome. The problem is Utopioca Minor, which, according to the map below, exists for no ****ing purpose except to be insanely frustrating. How is something so impossible worth doing for some useless info?

http://www.yaaay.net/niffpage/fullmaps/ ... or%20(Info).png

Fixed to avoid massive screen scrolling.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:05 am

Ah, my apologies. I'm working through the "moon"/"Cheese" level or whatever. I'm up to Ball # 6, I'm not sure what the Yoga ball does though...

Edit: AHAHA! Finally! Never mind! Got it!
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:01 am

EmperorJeramyu wrote:Knytt stories is really great too. An individual story can be pretty much the same size as the original Knytt, so don't worry about size..

But from what I've found, regardless of size, they're far more linear. I kind of figured that would happen once I saw that you got new abilities, rather than arbitrary items which could be obtained in any order. Still, I hoped it would be a bit less linear than this. There should probably be some levels that just give you your abilities right at the start and leave you to explore the entire game at once, like Knytt did. I really want more like that, the atmosphere was just amazing. On the bright side, Knytt Stories feels kind of Metroid-ish, although 2D Metroid games give you more freedom, which you wouldn't really expect to be the case, considering how open and free Knytt was.

I finished the level that came with it and started the one based on WaDF's story. And that's just insanely linear. This game is actually feeling a little like a cross between Knytt and WaDF.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:39 pm

Impossible wrote:But from what I've found, regardless of size, they're far more linear. I kind of figured that would happen once I saw that you got new abilities, rather than arbitrary items which could be obtained in any order. Still, I hoped it would be a bit less linear than this. There should probably be some levels that just give you your abilities right at the start and leave you to explore the entire game at once, like Knytt did. I really want more like that, the atmosphere was just amazing. On the bright side, Knytt Stories feels kind of Metroid-ish, although 2D Metroid games give you more freedom, which you wouldn't really expect to be the case, considering how open and free Knytt was.

I guess that's certainly true, but it really all depends on who makes the level, and what they had in mind.

After doing a bit of research and a tutorial, I have a pretty solid grasp of the level editor. It would be cool to make something big and open, but I'm making no promises (I never do). The idea that's stuck in my mind is sort of this endlessly deep cavern to the center of the world, where you work your way down these massive caverns, and discover all sorts of neat things, like hidden techno-fortresses, ancient ruins (I specifically hear the lower Norfair music from Super Metroid here), monster lairs, hidden cities of mole-people (or whatever), totally abstract stuff, etc. I don't know what kind of stuff I'd do with the items or keys or difficulty, but I just like the idea of an entire game that's just exploring one giant cave. It's certainly not an original idea, but any other game

I've played other games with the same premise, but they never really reach the scope or creative variance (randomly generated dungeons are particularly guilty of this) that I've yearned for. Actually, I think a game where all you do is explore one giant _______ would be cool by default. A giant city, a giant techno-fortress, or imagine if someone found a way to make exploring outer space work in a platformer context.

And of course, one giant free-roaming world would be cool too.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Impossible » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:05 am

Well, yeah, that's what Knytt was. Does the editor have a way to add lots of items like that game's, that can be collected in any order? I'd really love to see more levels done like that, which just start you off with most of your abilities - maybe having a couple around the place to include with the collectible items, that are necessary for something else - and dump you in the middle of a gigantic world. It can be frustrating to not know where you're going, sure, but that was still part of how Knytt worked so well. I'm playing the official levels first, and I'm disappointed Nifflas hasn't done a level like that, a proper "Knytt 2". I would think he can do that better than anyone else. A Strange Dream is probably the least linear feeling, but it's still a bunch of individual linear mini-levels scattered across a vaguely non-linear world, which have to be done in a specific order. I miss the freedom of Knytt. As it is, I've just gotten completely lost, because I don't know which exact area I'm supposed to go to next, and unlike in Knytt, you can't make any progress at all unless you go to a specific place at a specific time.

What I don't want is for such a level to overdo the whole "invisible path through wall thing". It's okay in small doses, as it was in Knytt (where they usually let to teleports and secrets like that), but it's really frustrating to have to check for them constantly, and to potentially miss things as a result of not finding one. I played one level briefly that had you doing that from the beginning, it's kind of annoying.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Return to Gaming