Anyone up for Video Game Music Trivia?

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Anyone up for Video Game Music Trivia?

Postby Impossible » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:24 pm

I got a whole bunch of MIDIs of video game music together recently to do video game music trivia in a chat with some other people. Since I did all the work to pick out songs, I thought I may as well use them over and over in other places, just because I can. I guess I won't be using any of the songs I took from The Way here, though, since the music tracking topic has the answers to that. >_>

Basically, there are two points per song - one for the game, and one for where the song comes from in the game, or what the song is called if possible. There might be some rounds with different rules, but that's basically it. Two people can get a point each for a song, it just depends on who's first. Also, no cheating. You're not going to win anything if you do, it just prevents this from being fun for everyone else.

Okay, let's start:

http://media.putfile.com/Song-2-98-21
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:32 pm

Interesting game idea, I'll play. Unfortunatly I haven't a clue what that song is.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:36 pm

Gunstar Heroes (or Gunstar Super Heroes, if you're trying to be tricky) - Theme of Seven Force (known as "7FORCE" on the original OST).

Hoo boy... I don't think you know what you're getting into. Strayed knows I have a midi collection the size of the sun, and video game midis are probably the first thing I got into on the internet (all the way back in 98'). Unless you go out of your way to find obscure stuff, and I'm not being cocky, but I don't foresee this being much of a contest.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Impossible » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:51 pm

Dammit, that's not fair, I didn't expect there to be an all-knowing music expert. To be fair, I think you shouldn't actually use your music collection, since that's still kind of cheating, you need to recognise the song. I actually expected you to know that one.

Or maybe I'll just step it up a notch with something I think you're less likely to have played:

http://media.putfile.com/Song-1-MP3-21

Edit: It also occurs to me that as this isn't a speed test like the chat trivia, I can upload MP3s. Which is nice, because for some horribly unfair reason, there's a lack of MIDIs from some games with awesome music. Anyway, I've changed the above one to an MP3, although it doesn't matter much.

Scores

Jeramyu: 2
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:27 am

Yeah, I suppose if you want to put me at a disadvantage, you could pick lots of newer stuff that doesn't have good midi coverage. Anything PS2-GCN-XBOX era and beyond is generally out of my scope, though I'm certainly more likely to get something for the GCN (and I know which console YOU would be most inclined to take music from), since I have most of the important games for that. And I know you could pull out a million and one DS tracks I wouldn't know.

I'm sort of worried I'm being unintentionally ironic, because I don't know the one above. It sounds very Fire Emblem-y, Path of Radiance, I would guess. Which would be the definition of ironic, because I never played past the first few chapters of it.

And Gunstar Heroes fucking rules. Best brawler-platformer for the Genesis by far.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Impossible » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:56 am

I could do some PS2 games as well. There's a total lack of music available for Xbox games, though, and most of it sucks anyway.

Yeah, there is a bit of irony in your post, by the way, although I won't mention where. You're very wrong about one thing...

I just think it's unfair that you can get anything as long as there's a MIDI of it... That doesn't really seem right. What, have you listened to all your MIDIs ten times and memorised them? You can't really cross check them, because as I said, that's just cheating.

If you're just really awesome at recognising game music, though, this is going to be fun. But who listens to and downloads music from games they haven't played?
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:41 pm

Impossible wrote:What, have you listened to all your MIDIs ten times and memorised them? You can't really cross check them, because as I said, that's just cheating.

Well, I mean that's how I've heard lots of music. It's not like I match the exact file or anything.
Impossible wrote:But who listens to and downloads music from games they haven't played?

*Raises hand* I just go through the vgmusic archive and save midis that I like, learning the name of the game and where it's from in the process. If I like a song enough, I'll check out the game itself and try and play through it. It's a very expansive process that can net me a lot of music knowledge, and a lot of midis. But I must stress, I don't just right-click FlashGot-All and get a bazillion midis and listen to them. It's all out of personal interest. Video game music has been a passion shared by me and my brother (who just got his first midi on vgmusic) since long before we ever had a computer. Try holding a tape recorder up to your TV speakers some time.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Impossible » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:14 am

So nobody knows this one? No going through VG Music looking for it, by the way. >_> This is such an awesome game, so it's a shame nobody has played it. Keep in mind that random guessing is basically okay, and it may eventually lead to a hint.

I'll add another game for now, this should be easier:

http://media.putfile.com/Song-8-21

Give someone else a chance, though.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Dr. Casey » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:56 pm

That's from Mother 3. One hell of a game.
sqpat17 wrote:Slade: Maybe the sword flew over and landed in his chest. "Oof! Stabbed by two shadow swords in one week!" Okay, maybe not.
Dr. Casey
S2 Hilyn

Postby Impossible » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:29 pm

I would be very surprised if that were in Mother 3.

Also, I'm not going to do any games that weren't released outside of Japan, that wouldn't be fair.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:25 pm

Damn, that sounds so familiar....

Balloon Fight?
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Wellsy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:44 pm

EmperorJeramyu wrote:Try holding a tape recorder up to your TV speakers some time.

Heh, I have done that before, long, long ago, beginning when I fancied some music from Wing Commander and MegaRace. Unfortunately, my gaming repertoire is not nearly as expansive as most around here, so I'll most likely fail miserably at any attempt at identification. :cry:
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Impossible » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:26 pm

Damn, Sage, I have Balloon Fight as one of the other songs. Now I can't use that.

Hint: It's from a mini-game.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:34 pm

Sage Of The Wise wrote:Balloon Fight?

lol, that's exactly what I was going to guess.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Greatchickenman » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:10 pm

Is it Yoshi's cookie?
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Next

Return to Gaming