PS2 RPG suggestions

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

PS2 RPG suggestions

Postby Excell » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:48 pm

I'm trying to decide on an RPG to buy for the PS2. So far I'm thinking Magna Carta: Tears of Blood is an option cause I've heard it actually has a storyline that makes you think. Which is a lot compared to most of the stuff that comes out anymore. DQVIII is also an option cause it's so traditional.

I'm looking for something that will remind me of the old RPG days of the SNES and the PS. I want an epic story or a really traditional game. It can have a new kind of battle system, the gameplay can be unique, but I'm looking for that old school feel.

Although I do hear Disgaea and the Shadow Hearts series are good.

My current favorites are:
Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, FF6, Suikoden II and FF Tactics. So maybe that will help with your suggestions.

Thanks guys, if you get around to it.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:37 pm

I'm not sure of what you've played on PS2 (If anything) so I'll go over most of what I have:

I have Magna Carta, never actually finished it... It's not all that entertaining. Suikoden V is one of the best in the saga, same with III if you can tolerate the older graphics. DQVIII is good, but it is a bit too traditional with some things (ie: Saving & Resurrection).

Otherwise:

Tales of the Abyss (Definitely play this)
Tales of Legendia (So so)
Wild ARMS III (Great)
Wild ARMS IV (Good, but short)
Wild ARMS V (Same)
Radiata Stories (Entertaining and fun battle system, has some replay value)
Alterier Iris I, II, III (Fun but don't expect too much, also short)
Star Ocean III (Good)
Legend of Legaia II (Good, but older)
Grandia III (Great, but short)

I can't remember anything else right now.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Excell » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:59 pm

Ok, can you go into the detail with the games you suggest? I'm looking for a story, preferably epic. Something with twists and turns and draws you in kind of like Final Fantasy Tactics or Xenogears. I heard Magna Carta was like that but I guess not. So which of these games are like that and why? Thanks man.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:56 pm

Aren't really many epic storylines being produced these days (or ever). The main problem with all games is that when you want to allow for constant and interesting gameplay, you can't send your players through the half-hour of dialogue and miscellaneous scenework that is necessary for serious plots.

Anyway, as far as I know the most plot intensive series out there is Xenosaga. If the rest of the series follows the same pattern as the first installment, it is extremely boring in terms of gameplay. I had to put this game away and never touch it again after playing a few hours of it (I think I sold it too...). I can't really tell you much about the plot because the game produced blinding boredom, preventing me from actually reading any dialogue (did it have voice overs?).

As far as old school with a fair storyline, go for DQ8. It's as old school as new school gets and the storyline is... well... standard, really.

I will still suggest Tales of the Abyss. The gameplay is too good to ignore, the puzzles are tolerable and the storyline is at least interesting to some degree. I found it humorous more than 'epic', but it's probably the best the Tales games have in terms of story.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Excell » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:47 pm

Ok it sounds good I'll def consider it. Thanks man. Tales of Abyss is up there for me thanks to your advice. I'm still considering Magna Carta cause it supposedly has a plot that makes you think. As for DQVIII it seems alright and old school.

I played Xenosaga and didn't mind it, I like plot more than gameplay.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:16 pm

Read books.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:50 pm

Get girls...
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:26 pm

Sling wrote:Get girls...

Girls have horrible plots.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:52 pm

Strayed Wanderer wrote:
Sling wrote:Get girls...

Girls have horrible plots.

Mods
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Excell » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:08 pm

I do read books, but there's nothing wrong with playing a videogame with a good plot like FFT or Xenogears. I'm playing Tales of the Abyss right now. So far it seems interesting. The characters came into it too fast though and the graphics are a little bland.

Oh yeah Strayed, do those cutscenes with just the characters faces have sound? Because they don't for me and I bought the game used. I know it's a long shot but I feel like there should be sound with the people's mouths moving.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:17 pm

No. Those don't have sound. I started skipping them around the end too... they started getting long.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Excell » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:38 pm

Alright man, thanks for the advice. Tales of the Abyss was great. It was what I'd consider a classic RPG. Big on character development and drawn out plot development. It got me really attached to the characters, even Anise who I couldn't stand. If you have any other suggestions I'm sure to take you up on them.....now I'm in even more of an RPG mood. Lay em on me.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:52 pm

If you haven't played it already, Suikoden V is the most impressive in the series so far. Suikoden II will still give you a greater feeling of nostalgia years later, but V has a great story and the battles are more entertaining.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Excell » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:00 pm

I'm an enormous Suikoden fan. I had V mailed to me from home cause I couldn't get it at school. I had my parents buy it the day it came out and mail it to me. So yes, I've played it and love it, I rank it equal with 2. I love games with heart and interesting characters, like Tales of the Abyss, so anything like that works. I love fascinating stories too. Characters like TotA and CT do it for me and story like Xenogears or FFT.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby CJ » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:28 am

if you don't mind the side scrolling, then Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria is an awesome game. But that isn't really oldschool like.

You could try Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter. I bought it because the first and second were awesome. I didn't like this one though. Oh and if you like the later Final Fantasy games then FFXII is always there. It's not really old school. It's a huge change from the traditional J-RPG, it's set in the same world as FFT, it has more of a political storyline (Just like FFT). Voice acting is great. Don't go for FFX though. you probably already know how much of a mess that one was. Especially the the PAL version. 17.5% slowdown & squished image (/me shudders). The North American version doesn't have these problems but it missed out on all the extras. So if you must get it, I'd recommend buying the Japanese international version (if you have a modchip or swap magic). It's in NTSC, has all the extras, and you can set the whole game to run in english so you don't have to know Japanese.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Next

Return to Gaming