30%
A pile of shit
10%
Feh
50%

Total votes : 10

Well someone's gotta do it

Postby Forerunner » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:13 pm

It's true. The first time I walked up to one of those my dad, brother and I just looked at each other. Never before have I said "I'm not going to say anything out loud about this now or ever, but that looks like a fucking sphincter" with a look, but there you go.

As for the game itself, I'd say it's equal parts dissapointment and satisfaction. It was way too short, and ridiculously easy (except for Legendary which they once again made retardedly difficult).

Storywise I feel it was less compelling than the others, I didn't get drawn in at all and really couldn't care less whether or not Cortana was rescued, and after the first few times those irritating bit where she pops up because... well irritating. On the plus side, the story itself was pretty good, and they 'ended' it well.

The gameplay was great. I know a lot of people complained about the enemies doing the same thing over and over in the first 2, but in this one, if you die odds are the enemies wil try something completely different. The AI is great. Fighting is fun, I could do it for hours. My only complaint is that that they seem to have forsaken most of the long range fighting and opportunities to plan and strategise, it almost seems like if you're not in a vehicle then you're fighting short range, unlike the other Halo's which has a fair bit of open areas and such to run around in, snipe, etc.
This is doubtlessly intentional, because the Brutes fight differently from the ELites. The Elites were smart, whereas the Brutes are reckless and aggressive, but the whole scheme made is feel more like Gears of War than Halo.

They overdid it with the new weapons and vehicles, having so many is pointless because:
a) Not only do you not need them all, but I went through the entire campaign several times without using some of them.
b) Some of them essentially do the same thing as others, they just look different.

All in all, it was a great attempt by Bungie, but it's impossible to live up to all the hype that was throws out. If I had picked this up not knowing what it is, I'd probably give it a 9 out of 10. But as the matter lies I'm going with a 7.5 .

I know the collective opinion of the Halo series isn't exactly high here, but if anyone else has played it... what do you think?
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:21 pm

The range at which you fight in the game depends almost entirely upon which weapons you decide to pick up. They give you many opportunities to use battle rifles and convenant carbines. If you've played through the first level on legendary, you know that the enemy stacks up tons of snipers. Some of which you can't even reach on foot, you just have to fight them at a range, which is difficult when they can one-shot you at any moment.

In terms of the extra weapons, if you aren't using some of the weapons, it's because you don't want to. The only weapon I rarely used was the human Pistol. Spikers and mashers worked great against the flood while everything else helped you take down the assortment of brutes (a huge improvement over the elites), grunts and jackals. Activating the tilt skull also converts all of those resistances that certain classes have (gold-armored brutes become a bit irritating) into immunities, which requires you to spread out weapons.

When it comes down to the overall Halo feeling. I'd have to say that any time I went up against a scarab, I said to myself "I love halo". The scene with the group of rocket-armed ATVs was extremely fun just for the sake of seeing shit blow up. One of the best moments was meeting up with the Arbiter when coming back from High Charity while he is clearing the landing area with a flamethrower (Does that even happen in Coop?). Up until the point, all I was thinking was "If the arbiter doesn't show up to pick me up, I'm gonna be pissed".

The game does deserve a 10/10 just because it accomplishes everything it needed to. It's entertaining, it finishes the story well, and if you really want the challenge, it's there (13 skulls/Legendary). I will agree that for the sake of my money, it would be a bit short, but I believe it finishes the story in an acceptable amount of time.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:00 am

It's definitely a great game. The controls are better than Halo 2. And multiplayer is really good, and so is the co-op. The only thing I didn't like was that it was Halo and that it was too short.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby CJ » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:49 am

Halo is such a ripoff of Doom.

Just like Silent Hill is a ripoff of Alone in the Dark and Final Fantasy is a ripoff of pokemon :lol:
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:56 am

I do hope the last part was very bad sarcasm.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby CJ » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:21 pm

very. pokemon was out almost a decade after final fantasy and dragon quest before that. I'm just mimicking some retards that you find at my old school.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:33 pm

CJ wrote:very. pokemon was out almost a decade after final fantasy and dragon quest before that. I'm just mimicking some retards that you find at my old school.

There will always be at least one retard no matter where you go.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:17 pm

Yeah, like retards at my sister's school thinking Lord of the Rings rips off Harry Potter. The retards at my school didn't think Final Fantasy ripped off Pokemon but they did think it ripped off Yu Gi Oh and that Guns N' Roses ripped off The Darkness.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:29 pm

Sling wrote:Yeah, like retards at my sister's school thinking Lord of the Rings rips off Harry Potter. The retards at my school didn't think Final Fantasy ripped off Pokemon but they did think it ripped off Yu Gi Oh and that Guns N' Roses ripped off The Darkness.

You douchebag. I meant you.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:38 am

I know, I was just making a funny.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Return to Gaming