Guitar Rising

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Guitar Rising

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:40 pm

For all those people who hated Guitar Hero because it simulates guitar playing almost as badly as DDR simulates dancing:
http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/02/gui ... o-for.html
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby CJ » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:56 am

looks pretty good.

Why would people hate a game for such a stupid reason like that? It's a game. If I wanted to play a guitar or dance, then i would. A game's a game. I mean, I can't play phoenix Wright and expect it to simulate the legal system perfectly. It'll be too restricting and boring. Guitar hero is great the way it is. If it's fun to play, then it is good. That's why games were made in the first place.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:09 am

I came.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:00 pm

Why would people hate a game for such a stupid reason like that?

Mostly people who are good at playing guitar but suck at guitar hero.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:26 am

That's why I hated it. Being good at guitar get's you friends and chicks, well at least it did whilst all being good at Guitar Hero get's you is, well nothing, except maybe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby CJ » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:33 pm

Well i don't think any videogame will get you chicks.

Why would you try to impress a girl with a videogame anyway. Something like that is destined to fail.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:13 am

It's not just a video game, you're actually playing a guitar. And to disproove your theory I know of at least 2 girls (who are NOT female nerds but actually really hot) who enjoy video games as much as I do.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:01 pm

I'm pretty sure I've torn the "guitar hero play a real guitar argument" a new logical asshole a million times over at some point or another, but yeah, it's bullocks.

And anyone who does think playing Guitar Hero makes them cool is dumb. The fact is, you unconditionally do not look cool while playing videogames. Even though I had a throng of people watching me while I was playing Guitar Hero in a rec center, and I was doing pretty good, the fact is I was still an awkward looking stocky "kinda fat, but not really" guy with no style and a "sorta double-chin" wailing on a plastic guitar, practically giving himself a hernia trying to activate star power on a shitty half-broken guitar playing some shitty "metal" song (guess what it is).
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sling » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:48 pm

I had a throng of people watch me play Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci (minus the solos) on a real guitar. It was awesome.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Glenn47 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:25 pm

What's gonna suck about this is now everyone with this game will be playing real guitars, all of them playing THE SAME FUCKING SONGS. And by the time the third one comes out, there'll be no point in someone saying "I taught myself how to play this by ear!" Some dude'll just say "Well that's stupid, just get Guitar Rising 2." And when the real guitarist says "Playing by ear furthers you more musically than playing a video game" the GR guy will just laugh.

And on another note, this'll give us around 3 million asian guitarists, I hope everyone realizes this. Not being (very) racist, but dammit they're better at video games. We all know it.
Gil212 wrote:ps. I'm a girl btw
^_^
Glenn47
S1 Corlyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:00 pm

My Asian friend is the greatest guitarist I know, and he mostly plays gypsy jazz, not J-Pop.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby CJ » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:56 pm

Glenn47 wrote:What's gonna suck about this is now everyone with this game will be playing real guitars, all of them playing THE SAME FUCKING SONGS. And by the time the third one comes out, there'll be no point in someone saying "I taught myself how to play this by ear!" Some dude'll just say "Well that's stupid, just get Guitar Rising 2." And when the real guitarist says "Playing by ear furthers you more musically than playing a video game" the GR guy will just laugh.

And on another note, this'll give us around 3 million asian guitarists, I hope everyone realizes this. Not being (very) racist, but dammit they're better at video games. We all know it.

Wouldn't it be great to have more guitarists like Herman Li?

well... actually no it wouldn't. Ignore what I just said.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:26 am

Jazz guitar is awesome. Herman Li is a good guitarist, he's just sloppy. The 2 greatest guitarists I know are 2 of the guitar tutors at my college who can play. One plays Classical, Jazz, Rock, Metal and Country wheareas the other guy plays Jazz, Blues, Rock, Country and Flamenco. The first can literally play a whole 18 note major scale (ascending and decending) in practically 2 seconds. The other guy has like insane finger and hybrid picking and can bust out an insanely fast (yet really tasty) solo at any given time. I'm probably like the 3rd best on my course, but probably only like 23rd out of the whole college.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Return to Gaming