LFRPG

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

LFRPG

Postby Sarcasm » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:30 pm

I'm bored nearly to death, to the point of considering learning FORTRAN for fun, by all that is sacred save me from that fate and suggest to me all good, or even decent, RPGs you can think of (preferably free).
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Re: LFRPG

Postby MusashiEX » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:17 pm

The World Ends With You for the DS is really nice. I can't stop playing it.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:49 pm

If you've got a Gamecube (or Wii), get Baten Kaitos. You can probably get it for like $10 now.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:46 pm

Daikatana for the n64. Best game ever >_>

Tales of Symphonia for GCN. Not really 70 hours of gameplay like it promises, but still, great game.

There's this game called caverns of hammerfest at hfest.net, its "free" for 5 tries, then you can pay for more games, and putting down any money just once allows you to get more free games every month. I love it.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:21 pm

Body Harvest for the N64, not an RPG but long, hard and fun (but not full of seamen (sorry Tak)). It starts off easy but by the end you'll be in sporadic bursts of sweaty-palmed button pushing every other minute. Even with cheats on, it is still a motherbitch to complete. Even now it still took me about 6 hours to complete with cheats and without cheats about 10. This game is the sole reason there are dents in the wall from lobbing my controller in fury.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Glenn47 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:16 pm

Baten Kaitos was TERRIBLE. The voice acting literally made me want to kill myself.

Tales of Symphonia was excellent, but you get bored at the middle point of the game (something plot-related happens and you're in a completely new area, and it feels like you've started the game over again, except all the new characters you are meeting are gay.) But then it really, REALLY picks up again and you end up beating the game and traveling to hell in a special endgame dungeon. Sweet.

Oh, and another good recommendation, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is pretty good. It's a strategy RPG, not the best, but good. Then there's Advanced Wars for GBA, great game, same basic principal as Fire Emblem but with Advance Wars you can build new units, and with Fire Emblem when a unit dies you lose them forever, which makes for much challenge.

And now me and three of my friends just ordered Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age off of Amazon. I've beaten both before, but dammit I crave it again.

If you want new MMO's of any kind you should check out Nexon games, they keep making more ever since Maple Story got popular, the most recent one I looked at was somewhat like Harvest Moon but included getting a job, playing instruments and writing songs, and, well obviously, online interactions. Just happened to read about that today at work out of curiosity, I'm too busy to get into another MMO.
Gil212 wrote:ps. I'm a girl btw
^_^
Glenn47
S1 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:54 pm

Yeah, the voice acting in Baten Kaitos ranged from bad to horrible, but the rest of the game was great. And the sequel was even better(with much better voice acting as well)
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:28 pm

i actually expected mabinogi to be a bit like harvest moon as well but it turned out to just be a regular dungeon themed game after you truly get into it.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Glenn47 » Thu May 01, 2008 1:56 pm

Have you played Golden Sun? I'm honestly hooked all over again.
For those of you that haven't, let me explain one of the badassitudes of the game. Djinn. Throughout the game you find them, and they come in 4 elements: Earth, Wind, Fire, Water. When you find one it'll usually fight you, you kill it, it's yours. But if you find one in town (usually after an actually challenging puzzle) they'll join right away.
So then in fights it goes like this: You have a Djinn named Gust on your character. You use him in one turn (oh yeah, it's a turn-based battle system) and he attacks for uber damage. Then he's on standby. Next turn you use Zephyr, another Wind Djinn, and he ups your speed. Then on the third turn you can re-use those djinn as a summon, which triggers a sweetass cinema and then every enemy gets hit for shitloads of damage! Then ever turn after the summon, the Djinn reset to your character! (Summons are one of the most badass part of the game, you get 12 of them, and even more in the sequel).
If you don't want to use your Djinn, every one attached to your character gives you a stat boost! And THEN they affect what kind of magic you have! If you attach a wind djinn to Isaac (who is an earth element character) you lose the spells Ragnarok, earthquake, and cure, but gain the spells Astral blast, gaia, and Impact! I like to mix up my djinn on every character and see the weirdass magic I get to use.

Aaaaand THEN! Okay, any time you find a weapon outside of a shop (which is a lot) they'll have a magic attack with them. It'll say "Light Blade, unleashes Rapid Slash" or "Longsword, unleashes Blizzard." If you're using one of these weapons and attack with them you have a percent chance every time for it to say "Bandit sword let out a howl! RAPID SLASH!" and the graphics are shizzy. Like SNES shizzy, but better.

Final tidbit, your magic is called Psynergy, and you'll get new psynergy periodically throughout the game. Push, Force, Lift, Frost, Douse, Growth, Reveal, etc. And every single one of those is used to solve the puzzles in the game, which means you sometimes will get stuck for a while solving something (unless you use walkthroughs, you bitches). Great fucking game.

Great fucking game.
Gil212 wrote:ps. I'm a girl btw
^_^
Glenn47
S1 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Thu May 01, 2008 6:43 pm

I think everyone knows about Golden Sun. What I found funny was that near end game, normal attacks are more efficient than any magicks. SLIGHT SPOILERS Felix/Isaac was getting Megiddo every two turns and doing huge damage. It's the same with the other characters too.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Fri May 02, 2008 2:12 am

I've been re-playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64. I shall never tire of picking up my face-sized controller in order to play these games.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Fri May 02, 2008 1:51 pm

I finally beat Attack Ship on Perfect Agent last week.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Sun May 04, 2008 12:15 pm

I thought playing Attack Ship on Perfect Agent was pretty hard, but then I got to the bonus missons.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Mon May 05, 2008 5:48 pm

I don't get how Your Eliteness and them are able to complete the missions so quickly. I have trouble doing them when I'm playing slowly.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby CJ » Tue May 06, 2008 2:46 am

Sage Of The Wise wrote:If you've got a Gamecube (or Wii), get Baten Kaitos. You can probably get it for like $10 now.

I got Both the NTSC-UC and PAL versions of Baten Kaitos. I'm thinking of selling my PAL version if anyone wants it. I dunno why you would though. nintendo's PAL conversions are the shittest there are.

But i guess if you live in europe and have no chipped gamecube or no action replay than i guess it's probably the best you can get.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Next

Return to Gaming