So, EarthBound.

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

So, EarthBound.

Postby Impossible » Sun May 18, 2008 12:42 am

How many people here have played the series Nintendo of America utterly despises above any other? They're prepared to give up free money just to spite fans, because they have this delusional idea that sales for a terribly marketed game 13 years ago mean something now (especially after the Internet and Smash Bros). But the unofficial translation of Mother 3 is progressing really well, so it probably will be finished soon. It actually looks much more fun that EarthBound, and just as silly and joyful.

The biggest EB fansite is running another hype campaign in the form of a contest, which of course will be ignored again, but it is getting a crapload more EB videos on YouTube. Not that Nintendo cares if THE FANS ARE PROMOTING THEIR GAME FOR THEM. They'll still avoid a VC release just out of hatred. Anyway, here's my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbLIhuxiPQA

I kind of came into the contest late because I came up with the idea late. The contest is partially based on views, so if I'm going to have any chance, I need a whole lot of views pretty quickly. So tell anyone who might care about EarthBound, I guess.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Re: So, EarthBound.

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sun May 18, 2008 2:09 am

Ah yes... I've been around starmen.net since the very beginning (back when it was actually earthbound.net). Trivia: it was the first internet community I really got into. (If you look in the IRC quotes topic you'll see I mention knowing Tomato from looong ago, I had a different name back then...). I just lurk around these days, but yeah, they're all super dedicated, and have probably produced more fan media (art, music) for one 13 year old game than has ever been produced for any other single game you can think of.

You can read EarthBotched: A History of Nintendo vs. Starmen to learn the kind of huge cockslap Nintendo has been giving these guys for a looong time, and maybe fully grasp just how much Nintendo's PR doesn't give a shit about its fans. The VC release may happen, but Mother 3 (Earthbound 2) isn't so you can keep up with the fan translation blog to learn about when we'll see a translation patch for it.

Cool entry, anyway. I 5'd it.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Impossible » Sun May 18, 2008 2:14 am

Good, now keep going back to it every 6 hours to get the view count up. >_>
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Wellsy » Mon May 19, 2008 7:57 pm

For what it's worth, I watched your video, though I don't know enough about Earthbound to get it I guess. I thought the following comment exchange was humorous:

Jera:
Sexy video.
Some other random dumbass:
0.0 I don't see how.

Don't know why, but I chuckled.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon May 19, 2008 9:58 pm

Someone thumbs downed Jera's comment! Blasphemy!
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Mon May 19, 2008 11:50 pm

Quick, thumbs-up it! Cancel it out! WE'LL MAKE HIM PAY!
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Impossible » Tue May 20, 2008 4:08 am

I cancelled it out, now you have to keep watching the video every day until Friday. >_>
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Return to Gaming