I need your advices guys.

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

I need your advices guys.

Postby Shindy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:56 pm

So I've went through the list of MMORPG's I've wanted to play. Of course I'd be going out to eat and play being an 18 and all.

So, with my big list of requirements, I went through a list of mmorpgs.

-Perfect World = Lag no.
-World of Warcraft = ABSOLUTELY!!!

NOT!!!

-Shadowbane = No.
-Anarchy On... No.
-RohaNo.
-Cabal = No
-Conquer Online = No
-EVE Online = ...................................................... Close, but no.
-Fate = No!
-Rappelz = Lag no.
-Flyff = Quit, maintained best ele in a new server for awhile. It became clear I needed to put in lots of money and time to keep that position.
-Last Chaos = Close, but nope.
-Hero Online = Nope.
-Lineage = Nope.
-MU Online = Ha, no.
-RF Online = ... Nope.
-Rose Online = NO.
-Runescape = I'd rather fall on my dragon skimmy.
Secret of Solstice = Close, but nope.
-Shadowbane = Nope.
-Silk Road = Overkill bosses no.

Did I miss any good ones? Lay em out.

But one is missing. Yes, GUILD WARS!

So I did some research and after finding out that I can't play it free unless I do some illegal account trading, I've decided to buy it. So I have 4 choices.

Original Guild Wars
Factions
Nightfall
Eye of North

I don't want to buy more than 2, possibly 1. But my plan is to just get a start on the game and while playing wait for Guild Wars 2.

I want to be a fire elementalist. So which one(s) should I get?
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Re: I need your advices guys.

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:54 am

Eye of the North isn't standalone so you can't play that one unless you buy another, but if you buy two you should make it one of them. Between the other three, Factions by itself is crap, and Nightfall beats the Original because it has heroes(and conveniently much better fire elementalist skills). So definitely get Nightfall, and Eye of the North if you get two.

...and my god I sound like a geek >_>
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:50 am

Sage of the Wise wrote:...and my god I sound like a geek >_>

There is no shame in being smart.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Forerunner » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:32 am

Tried Ragnarok Online? I havn't played many MMORPG's so I can't really offer any comparisons, but some of the private servers I've played on are fun.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:51 am

Summoning Bafomet in the midst of AFKs and n00bs is fun. But then some gm finds out what you've done and spawns a purple maya right next to you when you're hunting something with your friends, so it's two-edged.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Shindy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:12 am

I'm a bit confused about PVP. Is there a specific place where all players from all of different standalone packs come together and fight? For example, a nightfall player can fight against a prophecy player?
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby Sarcasm » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:05 pm

Great Temple of Balthazar.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:00 pm

Shindy wrote:I'm a bit confused about PVP. Is there a specific place where all players from all of different standalone packs come together and fight? For example, a nightfall player can fight against a prophecy player?

Yeah, with a few exceptions all the PVP arenas are in the Battle Isles, which everyone has access to.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Shindy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:45 pm

I'm definately getting Nightfall, possibly Eye of North.

I did some research.

List of Skills I'm planning to get:

Elemental Attunement
Armor of Earth
Intensity
Fireball
Meteor
Inferno
Searing Flame

Since fire elementalists are used for dmg dealing, I decided to go the dmg route. I have 2 targetted AOE (one nuke) 2 adjacent AOE, 1 DMG % increase, 1 Defensive spell, 1 Energy-halving spell.

Yeah, that'll take me some time to get. 2 Elite spells, 4 Fire spells, and 1 Earth spell. They're all fast casting and fast recharging as well as low mana usage. The build is really focused on attacking, since healing won't get me anywhere against heavy melee dmg dealers. And I don't want single target dmgers.

I haven't decided on secondary class. I prefer one that gives an energy recharging spell. I've heard that Mesmer and Monk gives lots of Energy, but I dont know which spells.

I've thought about using Mind Blast as my energy recharging spell and replacing meteor for fire attunement, then I'd be a pure dmg dealer with good energy supply. Since I'll be focusing my attributes on 2 areas and then some for Earth magic for Armor of Earth, I'll get more dmg out that way. But then my second class will be useless, I'll just go warrior cuz it's cool ^^
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:08 pm

E/Me gives you echo nuking, which is what I played when I played GW, but last I heard they nerfed that when they made enemies actually run away from aoe skills.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Shindy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:07 pm

Oh.

Also, how can you beat a boss that's fire element if you are fire element based? In other words... how do you aquire fire element elite skills as fire elementalist?

And are there different servers? or is it one server? If there are different servers, which one is most populous?
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:12 pm

Also, how can you beat a boss that's fire element if you are fire element based? In other words... how do you aquire fire element elite skills as fire elementalist?

You fight fire.... with fire(I'm sorry, that didn't sound as stupid in my head). But seriously thats pretty much what you do, and you'll almost always have a group of other people or AI with you anyway. You don't usually go out alone unless your farming.

And are there different servers? or is it one server? If there are different servers, which one is most populous?

Its all one server.

For the skills, you can only use one elite skill at a time, so your build isn't going to work. I highly recommend Searing Flames though, so keep that. I have a ele/mes hero using Searing Flames, Glowing Gaze, Aura of Restoration, Fire Attunement, Glyph of Lesser Energy, Leach Signet, and Power Drain, which works really well for the AI, dunno if its as effective when a person runs it (AI is much better at interrupts than any one could be). Definitely go with a Mesmer secondary, they have all kinds of fun skills you can take advantage of.

And incase you haven't found out already, all areas in the game except towns are instanced, and the level cap is 20. Just to warn you if you don't like that stuff.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Shindy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:03 pm

Ty sage. I made a new build regarding those in mind.

1. What does instanced mean?
2. PVP only > RPG only in population?
3. Are there markets?
4. How hard is it to lvl up in Nightfall?
5. How hard is it to get a unique weapon?
6. Attributes: How many points can you get?
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby Glenn47 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:39 pm

Shindy wrote:So I've went through the list of MMORPG's I've wanted to play. Of course I'd be going out to eat and play being an 18 and all.

So, with my big list of requirements, I went through a list of mmorpgs.

-Perfect World = Lag no.
-World of Warcraft = ABSOLUTELY!!!

NOT!!!

-Shadowbane = No.
-Anarchy On... No.
-RohaNo.
-Cabal = No
-Conquer Online = No
-EVE Online = ...................................................... Close, but no.
-Fate = No!
-Rappelz = Lag no.
-Flyff = Quit, maintained best ele in a new server for awhile. It became clear I needed to put in lots of money and time to keep that position.
-Last Chaos = Close, but nope.
-Hero Online = Nope.
-Lineage = Nope.
-MU Online = Ha, no.
-RF Online = ... Nope.
-Rose Online = NO.
-Runescape = I'd rather fall on my dragon skimmy.
Secret of Solstice = Close, but nope.
-Shadowbane = Nope.
-Silk Road = Overkill bosses no.

Did I miss any good ones? Lay em out.

But one is missing. Yes, GUILD WARS!

So I did some research and after finding out that I can't play it free unless I do some illegal account trading, I've decided to buy it. So I have 4 choices.

Original Guild Wars
Factions
Nightfall
Eye of North

I don't want to buy more than 2, possibly 1. But my plan is to just get a start on the game and while playing wait for Guild Wars 2.

I want to be a fire elementalist. So which one(s) should I get?

You forgot Maple Story! The best game I'll never play again!!
Gil212 wrote:ps. I'm a girl btw
^_^
Glenn47
S1 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:42 pm

Shindy wrote:1. What does instanced mean?

When you go out into an explorable area you'll be playing on your own copy of it, you won't see any other people there unless you make a party with other people before going out, then you'll all be in the same instance of it.

Shindy wrote:2. PVP only > RPG only in population?

I don't really know on this one.

Shindy wrote:3. Are there markets?

Unfortunatly no, I really wish there was.

Shindy wrote:4. How hard is it to lvl up in Nightfall?

Only in the original game did it ever take awhile to level up. factions and Nightfall both try to get you up to level 20 pretty quickly so you can join the people from other campaigns, you'll be pretty close by the time you leave the first island.

Shindy wrote:5. How hard is it to get a unique weapon?

You get one every time you beat a campaign, and it isn't hard to find people selling them, but as for just finding one normally I've been playing since the original came out and I've only ever found one.

Shindy wrote:6. Attributes: How many points can you get?

200 is the max.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Next

Return to Gaming