Three The Hard Way...

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Re: Three The Hard Way...

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:00 am

About the trophy quest in Bowman...that's weird because I definitely remember doing that with Fayette, if I'm thinking of the same one. (The mayor asks someone to look for a lost trophy but he's actually hidden it himself for the insurance money, or something like that, IIRC) That might be something completely different, though. I'm terrible at remembering location names and such. >_>

Its the statue quest, and its Richland. Freaking evil quest, took forever to find that one random spot you had to stand on to find the secret path to the statue.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:08 am

randomperson wrote:About the trophy quest in Bowman...that's weird because I definitely remember doing that with Fayette, if I'm thinking of the same one. (The mayor asks someone to look for a lost trophy but he's actually hidden it himself for the insurance money, or something like that, IIRC) That might be something completely different, though. I'm terrible at remembering location names and such. >_>

Yeah, you can do that with Fayette OR Anderson. I'm like 95% sure.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby randomperson » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:08 am

=o I just finished the trophy quest, but Florence says she doesn't have any more jobs now...I'm at the point where I'm gathering money for Fayette's cure, so why can't I do all those jobs with Anderson?
randomperson
Plyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:25 pm

Well you can't do them twice...

I'm checking this part out right now, here's how it is:
-Fairmont Tower: Can be done with either Fayette or Anderson
-Missing statue: Can be done with either Fayette or Anderson
-Boat Race: Can only be done with Fayette.
-Missing trophy: Can only be done with Anderson, if you didn't do the boat race job.
-Olar Amulet: Can only be done with Fayette.
-Bandit Trouble (Silverstreet): Can be done with either Fayette or Anderson

EDIT--

Actually, I'm getting the same thing.Very odd indeed.

EDIT 2--

It looks like you can only go back and do the other jobs with Anderson BEFORE the "cure Fayette" stuff arises. Very strange.

EDIT 3--

Apparently not. ARGH. I'm forced to think that although the job do support having Anderson instead of Fayette, it's impossible to do them with him without cheating somehow. I still think there's something I'm missing.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby randomperson » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:14 am

Hm...I looked around the code myself, and it appears that the creator planned to have those jobs doable with Anderson, but gave up on the idea. My reasoning is that although most of the code supports it, there are some parts that don't. For example, in the tower quest, before the boss, if you did hack to do the quest there, then Anderson would speak, but he'd still have Fayette's sprite. And the reward conversation where Vance tries to trick the guy into giving him 500 GP has Fayette speaking no matter what.

Oh well, there's nothing important in those jobs anyway IIRC, so I don't mind missing them. I'm just surprised that anyone would go to the trouble of inserting all that dialogue and stuff, then not actually bother including it.
randomperson
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:41 am

Probably figured no one would think to do it that way so it was a kind of useless feature.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:32 am

Hey Jera, I'm Trying to figure out what the different paths are to Duke Greene. Off the top of m head there's the path through Arcadia, you can go through the Colerain mountains, or you can take the boat. Any of these paths split into even more?
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Sage Of The Wise wrote:Hey Jera, I'm Trying to figure out what the different paths are to Duke Greene. Off the top of m head there's the path through Arcadia, you can go through the Colerain mountains, or you can take the boat. Any of these paths split into even more?

Those are the only three, I'm positive.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Ah ok, I wasn't sure since you said something about 2 different ways involving crashing on Severn.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:43 pm

Sage Of The Wise wrote:Ah ok, I wasn't sure since you said something about 2 different ways involving crashing on Severn.

Eh? I did? I said I thought there were three or four ways, and now I know for sure. Maybe the other thing I was talking about was having to stop off on that island when you depart from Ravenel after beating Clio.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:25 pm

I've been going through the code a lot the last few days while playing the game, and I've found that while the whole story counter variable idea seems weird, its actually very helpful assuming you actually know what each number represents. You can pretty much rewind the game and do certain things over again very easily. Probably helped a lot in debug, and helps a lot when i realise i miss the small gap in time where i can do an optional part.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby randomperson » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:55 pm

Hey, do either of you have the solution for that blasted colour puzzle in the Zebulun cult HQ? I've been trying for ages but I'm just about ready to give up...I really want to do it, though, since I've never done it before and want to know what the reward is. I remember seeing the solution somewhere on these boards, but the search function fails to find it.
randomperson
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:41 pm

Flip left row
Go down
Flip left row
Go left
Go down
Flip left row
Go left
Flip top row
Go down
Go right
flip bottom row
Go down
Flip left row
Go up
Flip left row
Go right
Flip right row
Go right
Flip top row
Flip bottom row
Go left
Flip bottom row
Flip right row

If the sign doesn't let you flip the row you want, go through and door and immediately come back through it and try the sign again until it works. Whats behind that door is well worth the effort.

I've been looking at the effects hard mode has on the game, and some of them are very strange ways of making the game harder. The major difference is some enemies are stronger, which is really the only expected thing I've found. Other changes include removing save spots, making the puzzle in Elloree Pass with the diamond tiles put the tiles back in the chests every time you reset it, making some passages look blocked when they aren't, and in one case making the Loom in the Halifax lighthouse only open the door if you hit enter on its left side, as opposed to any side. Its more like annoying mode really. And so far I haven't seen any increased rewards for doing hard mode.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby randomperson » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:51 am

Thanks a lot! Does everyone have an ultimate weapon, or just Vance? I've never found any of the others (unless that Zatanbou or whatever its name is is Anderson's, but again, I have no idea where I found that or how to get it again XD).

And wow, I'm glad I never chose Hard Mode...those changes make Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn's Hard Mode seem sensible >_> Having to examine the loom from the left? That's just stupidly random.
randomperson
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:15 am

Well, I guess technically every character has a best weapon, I don't think they say so in their descriptions necessarily. Off the top of my head there's the Grimorum Universalis for Kanna, not sure what it would be for others though.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming