Phantasy Star Online

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Phantasy Star Online

Postby Impossible » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:18 am

I found a PC version of this awesome game, complete with the ability to play online, which means we can all have really fun awesome multiplayer games.

Get the game here

Get the music and sound files here, or if you're on dial-up, impatient, or just don't want such a massive file, get the sound effects alone here.
You'll need Winrar. There's a page with instructions showing where to extract everything at the bottom of the post.

For those who don't know, PSO is a really great multiplayer real-time RPG, in which you can choose to be one of 9 characters, of three different groups.

This is just some important stuff to know before you start playing:

The items enemies drop in the game, as well as a lot of rare stuff you can find, are all affected by something called your Section ID. Your Section ID is determined by values of characters in your name. If you're going to be a Hunter character (swords, sabers, daggers, etc.), the best ID is Skyly. If you're going to be a Ranger (handguns, rifles, etc.), the best ID is either Purplenum or Greenill (I'll explain later). If you're gonna be a Force, Pinkal is awesome.

To calculate the ID for any name, use this. Everyone needs to have recognisable names for playing online, so if you can't get what you want, just stick a number or a space after it (I'm Impossible7).

For Rangers, Greenill gets more Rifles (longer range, more powerful, slower) and Purplenum gets more Mechguns (less range, less powerful, hits many times and quickly). I've never used either, but I'm told rifles are good for beginners, but more importantly, that a human Ranger should be Purplenum and an Android ranger should be Greenill. It's up to you, though.

Also, since we'll be playing together online, we'll want some variety in our characters, so before you start, post which one you want to be here. These are the characters:

Hunters:
HUmar (Human male) - Impossible, Glenn
HUnewearl (Newman female) - Vaylos
HUcast (Android male) - Telephalsion, Strayed

Rangers:
RAmar (Human male) - War
RAcast (Android male) - Jeramyu
RAcaseal (Android female)

Forces:
FOmarl (Human female) - Trihan, JourWorstNightmare
FOnewm (Newman male) - OverlordBill
FOnewearl (Newman female)- Ryan (not playing much anymore, so if you want a pure magic-user, look here)

Basically, Humans are most balanced, newmans are better at magic (although HUnewearl, being a newman hunter, is pretty balanced out all round), androids have the best attack but can't use magic. I'm a HUmar, so try to choose something else. >_> (long time without one of those, I had to)

I meant to post this earlier, but I was busy playing, so I might not be playing with you guys for a bit since I'm already over level 10. I would reccomend you start offline, until at least level 5 or so, since online mode has stronger enemies.

I'm not going to explain the Mag system, since it's complicated and everyone will need personalized advice, but take a look here for some help with that. Mag are like Chao in the Sonic games, only they give you special powers and boost your stats.

If you have problems getting the game to work, the files in here should help, just copy them into the game folder, replacing ones that might not work:
http://www.bluewav.co.uk/pso_files/prob ... erpack.zip

Make sure you run PSO.reg and options.bat before you start. Start.bat opens up the game in whichever mode you were last in, online.offlinepatch.exe switches between online and offline modes. The links here don't work, but the instructions for installation are good.
Last edited by Impossible on Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:18 am, edited 13 times in total.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby War » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:04 am

GREAT FIND!!!! I love PSO! Does it have PSO2 in it?!
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:18 am

I has an avid player of the console version... I guess I could give this a shot.

...But the first link is broken.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby OverlordBill » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:05 pm

I played PSO for a while. I am known as... OVERLORDBILL. How original and witty. Now sex me.
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.
OverlordBill
S1 Corlyn

Postby Telephalsion » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:17 pm

the first link is slower´than a dial up riding a slug who's crippled and wearing a bungee line attached to the rock behind him
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:17 pm

This is a port of the Dreamcast PSO Version 2, so it unfortunately lacks Episode 2, as well has the HUcaseal, RAmarl and FOmar characters. I've heard FOmar is a great support character, too...

By the way, if you're looking at Mag information, you'll need four pages - the feeding charts, the growth chart for your character class (there are three), the list of what Mags do what in each situation, and what Photon Blast they have, and the Photon Blast details. Note that the two PBs you should be trying to evolve your Mag to learn are Pilla, and Mylla & Youlla (one thing).
Last edited by Impossible on Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby War » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:02 am

Got it
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Telephalsion » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:47 am

war send it to me!

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby War » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:55 am

It would take to long. Get a DL manger like I have.
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:52 pm

Did you get it from one of those links? Which one?

Edit: I'm now changing the character list in the first post to show what characters everyone has. War, what about you?
We'll probably end up with doubles eventually, but try to avoid it for now.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:40 pm

I'm a RAcast, like all of my billions of Console chars.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Telephalsion » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:15 am

Why do i suck impossible, jusst because my name became ideal for that one :P

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:39 pm

You and War both picked the same character. I also happen to have just met another person somewhere else with RAmar (and I know someone else with RAcast).

Anyway, hasn't anyone else gotten it yet? Clearly one of those links works, if some people have it... Porter? SBF? Bill? Glenn? ... ...Excell? (>_<^5) Dammit, at least one person has to be a Force.

Actually, I wouldn't ask Excell, he can only play RPGS WITHOUT GAMEPLAY!!!!!
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Telephalsion » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:41 pm

i can send it to anyone who wants it, either through gmail or through mirc...

btw how the hell do you move around, is it only by the mouse?

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:43 pm

You can use the number pad on the right, but when I tried, it was a pain in the ass (the 5 probably caused much of this). The mouse gives more exact control, instead of just 8 directions, stick with it.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Next

Return to Gaming