Games I Actually Give A Shit About

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Re: Games I Actually Give A Shit About

Postby Sling » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:17 pm

Recently started playing Mount & Blade. My fiancee has it installed on her PC along with a bunch of mods. I've been playing the Native Expansion mod. So far, I've become the vassal of Queen Katilus of Praven, ruler of the Holy Swadian, and single-handedly defeated the other four factions: the Confederacy of Rhodokius, the Khergit Khanate, the High Nord Monarchy, and the Principality of Vaegris, which has bought all of the lords and rulers onto the side of the Swadians now. I unfortunately lost all of my Templar Crusaders, but now have a sizeable army of Tarkhans, and Cavaliers. I've now created a second save file where I have triggered the Dark Knight's invasion, which is rather tough. They arrive from a random direction and lay waste to everything and have in excess of 2,800 troops who are all equipped with the best armour and weapons in the game. I've managed to whittle them down to about half, and defeated one of their lords last night. Once this is done, I'll probably betray the Queen and conquer the Swadian empire, replacing it with my own faction. Then I'll go back to the other save, leave the Queen's service and then summon the Dark Knights and see what happens. I'll probably create a third save before I do that, so I can go back, conquer the Swadian Empire, and THEN summon the Dark Knights. Providing I have the time to do that whilst I am here in America.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Forerunner » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:04 am

Oh wow. Mount and Blade has clearly come far since the last time I played it. When it first came out, it was so budget that Seejay used to fuck with his stats just by opening the character file in notepad xD

Myself, I'm now addicted to Star Wars: The Old Republic, been playing on the Asian/Pacific Gav Daragon server for about 3-4 months, and I daresay I'm the best Sage/Sorcerer on the server when it comes to PvP.

When servers are down or I need a break I've been playing Dragon's Dogma which is fantastic. The setting and plot is fairly standard, but some of the storyline quests and their outcomes are far from cliche'd. Fighting style is realtime, and the class system is awesome, you do have to pick a class, but whenever you're in town you can switch to a different one. The end result being you can potentially master every single skill and buff in the game. It's a lot more linear than the Elder Scrolls, but has the same sort of "Well I could complete this quest in 10 minutes if I run to the objective, do it and run back buut... *spends 2 hours exploring and slaying every monster unfortunate enough cross my path*" effect.

Also a bit of MW3 here and there. Gotta say I enjoy the survival mode a lot more than the multiplayer.

Speaking of CoD multiplayer, you guys seen what they're doing to Halo 4? I'm going to buy it for the story regardless, but if I wanted to play multiplayer similar to MW3, I'd just play MW3. Fuck 343 Industries so hard.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:30 am

Forerunner wrote:Oh wow. Mount and Blade has clearly come far since the last time I played it. When it first came out, it was so budget that Seejay used to fuck with his stats just by opening the character file in notepad xD

You can still do that, lol.

Since I'm currently in the US, and the only laptop I have is a Mac, the only games I have been able to play are Mac compatible ones... which aren;t very many. However, I have been playing a game called Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which is a first-person survival-horror adventure game with physics, puzzles, and stealth elements. To paraphrase Yahtzee, there are three types of horror games. The game where a man in a spooky mask jumps out of a closet shouting: "A bloogey, woogey woo!" (Doom 3), the game where the man in the spooky mask isn't hiding in a closet but is standing right behind you ready to shout: "A bloogey, woogey woo!" at any minute except he doesn't and you are too afraid to turn around in case he jabs you in the eye (Silent Hill 2), and the horror game where the man in the spooky mask yells "A bloogey woogey woo!" at the end of a brightly lit room before pulling out a violin, walking up to you and hitting you in the face with a steak (Dead Space.) Amnesia falls squarely into the second category, and is remarkably good at making people poo their pants (figuratively and literally.) There are some pretty hilarious reaction vid compilations on YouTube. The game is extremely atmospheric and immersive, and is very fun. There is also an expansion for it (that now comes free with the main game) called Amnesia: Justine, which is only 30 minutes or so long, but if you die you have to start again from the beginning, whereas in the main game, you respawn from your last save, minus a bit of health and whatever items you had used between the save and your death. The next game, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, is coming out next year.

Another similar, but far shorter, game is called Slender, which basically involves wondering around a dark wood at night with a torch/flashlight that illuminates an area the size of a goblin's testicle, with the stated goal of picking up all 8 pages of paper that are scattered around. However, once you pick up one page, you being to be pursued by the Slender Man, and the more pages you pick up, the more relentless he becomes, and after every few pages a new sound effect is added, making the game creepier. If the Slender Man catches you, then it is game over.

I have also downloaded and installed the Technic Pack mod pack for Minecraft, which is a compilation of 51 different mods that add a million different things including but not limited to: Copper, Tin, Bronze, Silver, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Refined Iron, Machine Blocks, Uranium, Nuclear Reactors, Mass Fabricators, Solar Arrays, Geothermal Generators, Wind Turbines, Macerators, Electric Furnaces, Reinforced Stone, Reinforced Glass, Dark Matter, Red Matter, the list goes on. However, the last update ruined my old world, so I have started again. I am currently in the process of constructing QuantumSuit Armour, the most powerful armour in the game (alongside Gem Armour.) It absorbs 100% of all incoming damage along as the suit is charged, and provides immunisation against lava, fall damage, hunger, and drowning. You can even survive a nuclear reactor meltdown explosion, or a nuke going off at ground zero range.

The Gem Armour is similarly powerful, but has different buffs. You need two Iridium plates per piece of armour (four for the chest armour) and each one consists of four Iridium ore, four Advanced Alloy, and a Diamond, and each Iridium Ore requires seven UU-Matter, which you can only get from Mass Fabricators (which require 1,000,000 units of electricity to produce one UU-matter.) Luckily, I have a nuclear reactor and an HV Solar Array, but even then producing UU-Matter is slow. Advanced Alloy is easier to manufacture, since you only need 3 Bronze (which is an alloy made from Copper and Tin), 3 Refined Iron (which you get from smelting Iron Ingots) and 3 Tin to get two Mixed Metal Ingots, which are then compressed into Advanced Alloy. Other gadgets include the Energy Condenser, which allows you to manufacture more of any item you possess (as long as they have EMC value) and Energy Collectors, which are used to power the Condenser, to produce advanced fuels, and are necessary for the production of dark and red matter. I have an Energy Condenser hooked up to five MK3 Energy Condensers, and it is fast.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:00 pm

you guys seen what they're doing to Halo 4? I'm going to buy it for the story

Not saying it as an insult, but this may be the first time I've ever heard such a sentiment uttered about the Halo series.

Anyway, hows the PvE in SWTOR? I figure I'll at least try the game out now that the show is going free to play.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Forerunner » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Sling wrote:Another similar, but far shorter, game is called Slender, which basically involves wondering around a dark wood at night with a torch/flashlight that illuminates an area the size of a goblin's testicle, with the stated goal of picking up all 8 pages of paper that are scattered around. However, once you pick up one page, you being to be pursued by the Slender Man, and the more pages you pick up, the more relentless he becomes, and after every few pages a new sound effect is added, making the game creepier. If the Slender Man catches you, then it is game over.

Saw that on Good Game, it looks... well, short, but interesting. The closest comparison I've played is Limbo.

Sage Of The Wise wrote:Not saying it as an insult, but this may be the first time I've ever heard such a sentiment uttered about the Halo series.

Eh, I started playing Halo with Combat Evolved, and read Fall of Reach before I continued with the series. Not that the multiplayer is bad, but the Halo/Master Chief's story has always been the selling point for me. I wouldn't go as far as to say that people who're only in it for the multiplayer aren't real Halo fans.... actually, yeah. That's exactly what I'm getting at. Imagine someone who only played Doom for the multiplayer, or Assassin's Creed, and never appreciated that the story is actually the best part. It's saddening.

Sage Of The Wise wrote:Anyway, hows the PvE in SWTOR? I figure I'll at least try the game out now that the show is going free to play.

It's a lot like WoW. A lot. Like, the first time I played it I felt like they'd just thrown a star wars skin over WoW. But the feeling did fade as I got closer to 50. Obviously the endgame content hasn't reached that level yet considering it hasn't even been out for a year, but there are...
- 7 or 8 lvl 50 flashpoints (4 man) and 3 Operations (8-16 man, only available to 50's).
- Of those, 1 flashpoint and 1 Op are considered a harder tier (meaning noticeably harder enough to actually bother sticking it in a different tier, they're all different levels of difficulty).
- Plus a whole bunch of flashpoints ranging from lvl 10-49 for people levelling.
- All flashpoints can also be done in hard mode (the lower than 50 flashpoints get bumped up to 50 difficulty, the 50 flashpoints get bumped up even higher).
- All operations can also be done in hard mode and nightmare mode.

I've heard the PvE is very well balanced, and of course everyone bitches that PvP is unbalanced.

I'd say the biggest attraction for me was that while you're leveling, you don't get the feeling you're just another dude playing another character on another MMORPG. I felt more like I was going along my own self-contained story, and while I did see other dippers running around doing their thing, I didn't have to interact with them if I didn't want to. Then of course you hit 50, and have to start making friends or join a guild if you want to get anywhere. As for gearing once you hit 50, the best shit is of course out of reach at first, but obtainable enough over time that you don't feel like it's a grindfest.

As far as free to play goes, all I've heard is that you might not have access to every flashpoint/operation, and the number of times you can do the ones that you do have access too will be limited per week. If that's the case, then there's no reason to sub until you hit 50, but doubtlessly there'll be a whole bunch of strings attached they haven't mentioned yet.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:06 am

Assassin's Creed is pretty damn good. The only thing about the story that really annoyed me was when you have to collect those codex pages. Being a massive Asperger's nerd, I felt obsessively compelled to read them all, and one of them reads along the lines of: "Jesus was similar to all these other pagan gods, OMG CONSPIRACY!" As a history student, I can tell you there is no basis for that at all. Then again, Assassin's Creed is a work of fiction, and it basically goes the Stargate/Ancient Aliens path, so perhaps I am getting miffed over nothing.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:09 pm

I especially love how in AC1 collecting all the flags quite literally does nothing. The most amazing waste of time ever.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:52 am

Sage Of The Wise wrote:I especially love how in AC1 collecting all the flags quite literally does nothing. The most amazing waste of time ever.

AC2 has feathers, which are equally useless... well, except you get achievements, and only people who are massively OCD care about that. Which reminds me, I need to collect all the flags in AC1 when I get back to the UK.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:18 pm

I picked up Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors recently. To put it shortly it pretty much blew my mind. Ended up marathoning the game in 2 days. I haven't seen such an engrossing story in a long long time. The game is a combination of visual novel and those old 'escape the room' flash games that you used to see all the time online. I highly recommend playing it if you get the chance.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Debacle » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:42 pm

I played this game a while ago and it's really good. It was great they let you fast skip the text on story branches you already had been through.

Aside from the flash escape games you mentioned, there are the more rudimentary "online riddle" sites - which I used to play quite extensively some years ago.
That's the kind of game which don't requires more than simple html to be made, and at least 10% of the players always think they also can do their own riddles - which end being huge pieces of shit hosted on a freewebs site.

There's one of these riddles' forums that much like this one: it's almost dead, but me and some other souls still hang on in honor of a good game, or at least memories of that.

If you're willing to check - that's the site: http://zestriddle.ovh.org/

Playing "Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors" gave me a huge motivation and ideas to play with this game's format and mix with said online riddle, but some lack of skill with visual programming left the project as just a bunch of wasted notebook space. Yeah, I never get to finish my projects - oh, well.
Debacle
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:22 pm

My only problem with the game honestly was that the text speed was too slow. Yeah when you going through a part of the game you've already done you can make all of it appear instantly, but new stuff just crawls.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:53 pm

I still have yet to play Assassin's Creed: Revelations. I have pre-ordered Assassin's Creed III though. A bunch of people were complaining that America doesn't have enough history for an Assassin's Creed game. To which I say: balls. Granted America hasn't got as much history as Europe or the Middle East, but it is still interesting. I'm personally hoping for at least one game set during WWI though. I know they said they would not do WWII, since there is a glut of WWII movies and games, but when it comes to WWI, there is practically zip.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Beldarius » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:08 pm

My PC and laptop are sort of sucky (integrated graphics cards) so I can't play most of the games you guys mentioned. ._.; lulz.

I recently watched a Let's Play of Persona 4 and fell in love with the game. I've got a PS2 (my dad unearthed it from somewhere) and decided to buy the game - haven't tried it yet, but I know I'll enjoy playing it. XD

Also found a DS game called Time Hollow (the plot and characters are very interesting, the OP theme is incredible and the animated cutscenes look awesome - it's apparently similar to 999) - I ordered it from an online gaming store, but a new copy is apparently really hard to find so I'm stuck waiting for that one. Another DS game I ordered is Pokemon Black 2. >.> ...What? I like the games. And the Adventures manga. The anime is the one that sucks.

As for games I already own, I can't stop playing Suikoden Tierkreis, the Golden Sun series and Sacred: Gold (a German RPG, dubbed/translated into English). In fact, if you don't count Persona 4, Suikoden Tierkreis is my top favorite video game. ...Can't wait for Camelot to release Golden Sun IV. I need to see more of the new characters, especially Eoleo and Amiti.
*points at her avatar* In case you're curious, this guy is Tetsuya Onodera from Super Robot Wars OG. He's the vice-captain of Space Noah class battleship Hagane and my favorite character in the games (alongside Gilliam Yeager).
Beldarius
Wanderer

Postby Sling » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:01 am

By the way, new Amnesia game coming out next year entitled Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CagMNLxa9M
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:05 am

Guild Wars 2 is just about the end all be all of my life right now. That is all.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming