Namco's crazy Tales spin-off game.

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Namco's crazy Tales spin-off game.

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:42 pm

Seeing as how we have a pretty big fanbase for ToP and ToS here, I bring you this:

Tales of the World: Nankiri Dungeon 3.

The Tales of the World series is pretty much a weird spin-off of the main Tales series. They feature cameos and appearences from other Tales games, in a completely nonsensical fashion.

In the screenshots there, we see characters from maybe all tales games... Mint, Lloyd, and Sheena are all in one battle, and I think I see Rutee in another. Zelos is in one, with whom looks like Farah. Kratos, Noishe, and Raine are also there. Cless is probably in there as well, as he was in Nankiri dungeon 2, where Dhaos was inexplicably the final boss.

The two silver-haired children featured in the art shots, are the main characters of this game, and were also the heros of ND 2.

About ND2:
The "overworld map" in ND2 was completely non-representive of the worlds of the Tales series, and consisted of about 9 locations from ToP. Infact, the tree of mana had a whole shrine inside of it, with these two freaky guardian chicks, which is also where the plot begins. There was also only one giant town in the whole world. Here's a pic:

From what I understand, the plot of the game was to run around and do missions and stuff. It's not a traditional "plot flow" RPG. I never got very far in it, but the battle system is a lot better than the GBA ToS. Cless only joined you for the first battle in the game, in which he somehow had the eternal sword, (despite Klarth having it at the end of ToP) and kicked the enemy's butts. I was able to have Mint stay in my party, and I think Klarth is also in the game too. There might have been ToD characters in there, but I don't remember.

Back to ND3:
This is a spin off. If you try and reason why all the characters are together, you're wasting your time. Evidently the developer just though it would be cool to have everyone together in one game. Fine by me (plus, Mint's ultra cute in these games).

None of the previous games have been released in outside of Japan, and its doubtful that this one will be too. We can only hope. Some rom hackers were working on a translation for ND2, but from what I understand, it's not done yet.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Teenr0cker » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:48 pm

....just one more reason to learn japanese!!!.....yeah right...
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:15 pm

Ok, for those who have nintendo power, I'm sorry if I'm repeating info you knew, but I know that Tales of the World: Nankiri dungeon 2 is coming out soon. Its in the future release section, not sure how long though. I shall consult my magazines!
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:08 am

What about the first one, though?

There are really loads of Tales games that were never released in English...
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:31 am

The first one is for GBC. I don't think they'll be releasing that any time soon.

Here's an explication I did on the Tales Series for another board, starting with a list of the games.

Tales of Phantasia (SNES) (JP only)
Tales of Phantasia (PS) (port) (I think this made it NTSC)
Tales of Phantasia (GBA) (port) (JP and I think PAL)
Tales of the World: Nankiri Dungeon (GBC) (JP)
Tales of the World: Nankiri Dungeon 2 (GBA) (JP)
Tales of the World: Nankiri Dungeon 3 (GBA) (Not out yet) (Looks to be JP only)
Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage (GBA) (JP)
Tales of Destiny (PS) (JP and NTSC. Maybe PAL)
Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2 NTSC) (PS) (Same as above)
Tales of Destiny 2 (PS2) (NOT a port of Eternia. Completely new game.) (JP)
Tales of Symphonia (GCN) (JP/NTSC/PAL)
Tales of Symphonia (PS2) (port...ish) (JP)
Tales of Rebirth (PS2) (Not out yet) (Looks to be JP only)
Tales of Symphonia 2 (I recall hearing about this... Not official, though) (Dunno.)

That's all I can think of, but I'm pretty sure I'm missing at least one.

On the topic of relations: Destiny and Eternia are related definately. There is also pretty conclusive evidence that Phantasia and Symphonia are related. Obviously, Desinty 2 is in the Destiny/Eternia plot line. Cameos aside, I don't think there's a solid relation between Phantasia/Symphonia and Destiny/Eternia. Summoner's Linage and the Nankiri Dungeons are spin-offs, with no connections to any plots at all.

The Eternia/Destiny 2 thing pisses me off. The happy localization people thought that Eternia would sell better in America if they marketed it as a sequel, since apparently Americans identify with sequels better, and thus Eternia was renamed Destiny 2 for American release, despite that the ACTUAL Destiny 2 is a PS2 game.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Teenr0cker » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:02 pm

I saw in the "future Releases" section Tales of Phantasia (GBC) and TotW:ND2 (gba) on the list. Why would Nintendo announce releasing old games unless they are being translated?

I bet they just downloaded the ROM from that DeJap site.

Not really, but that would be funny
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:07 pm

I'm fairly sure the GBA ToP never got a PAL release...

Bah, it's not fair, I want to play all these games. >_<
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:05 pm

It is happening....that's the thing: We're both right!

ToP never got a PAL release because it hasn't been released yet. But it will!

Dry your tears now, you'll get to play some of them... eventually
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:34 pm

Teenr0cker wrote:Tales of Phantasia (GBC)

How's that work? A 48 bit game on to a gameboy cartridge?

There is a ToP for the GBA. I have a rom for it. Granted, it's in Japanese. I just had a little misconception about a PAL release.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Impossible » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:40 pm

I know damn well there's a ToP on the GBA.

Does ToP happen before or after ToS, if they're connected?
I figured there must be a connection, someone I know who played ToP mentioned that the bad guy was trying to save his own world, and ToS seems to have had that with Sheena.

By the way, right now, I've got Undine and I'm trying to get stronger to fight Sylph (*3) and then Efreet, since the former was too strong for me before.
I tried to see a scene which supposedly has the Chosen group imposters in it, but nothing happened when I went to where it's supposed to be. What the hell?

Once I go to the Tower of Salvation, can I go back everywhere before Disc 2? I've already missed some stuff (a title or two, Kratos' training sessions), but I'd at least like to see this thing which I shouldn't have missed.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Lord_Ehrgeiz » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:11 pm

By the way, right now, I've got Undine and I'm trying to get stronger to fight Sylph (*3) and then Efreet, since the former was too strong for me before.
um...sorry but... you talking about ToP? or no...
----------------------------
hey, about that ToE and ToD2 stuff! i had two...no six discs, two games: TalofDes2 and TalofEter... but it is same game! About Reid, Meredy, Kwekee (my faw animal!!) what that's all about? :?
in order to assess the reality of life, it is necessary at least once to die
Lord_Ehrgeiz
S2 Hilyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:35 pm

ToS is before ToP, but I can only really explain the connection after you beat ToS.

Ok. ToE and ToD2

Japan | America
---------------------------
ToD(PS) | ToD(PS)
ToE(PS) | ToD2(PS)
ToD2(PS2)|
ToD2 American IS NOT ToD2 Japan. It is NOT a remake. It is an entirely different game, and is also for the PS2, whereas ToD2 American is for the PS.
ToE IS NOT ToD2 Japan. It is NOT a remake. It is an entirely different game, and is also for the PS2, whereas ToE is for the PS.

ToE/ToD2 American = Reid, Meredy, Farah, etc.
ToD2 Japan = Kyle, Roni/Loni, Nanaly, Reala, etc.

So if ToD2 JAPAN (A game, for the PS2) was released in America, they would have to name it ToD3, because they named ToE into ToD2 for American release, even though it's wrong, because it's less of a sequel than ToD2 JAPAN is.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Impossible » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:51 pm

Well, do you at least know anything about getting the cutscenes?

Actually, fuck that, I'm getting on my PC now so I can use mIRC.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Lord_Ehrgeiz » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:57 pm

2 Emperor
:) thanx for explaning ^_^
--------------------------------------

edited by Lord_Ehrgeiz
:cry: :twisted: :cry: :twisted: :cry: :twisted: :cry:
Last edited by Lord_Ehrgeiz on Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
in order to assess the reality of life, it is necessary at least once to die
Lord_Ehrgeiz
S2 Hilyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:58 pm

Please learn proper English. I honestly couldn't understand a word you typed.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Next

Return to Gaming