Game Flamer!

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Excell » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:39 am

DSOK. I'm sorry, but FF8 and FF10 were not only NOT innovative but they also had the shittiest characters and the worst stories in the entire system. FF8 had time compression. TIME COMPRESSION!!! It was the most ridiculous game ever to be made anywhere. FF10 wasn't much better. Ugh, I HATE when people praise those games.

FF9 wasn't wooden at all. The characters were far more developed then 8 or 10 and the step back to traditionalism is actually a very good thing. The new games trying to build up into technology are so all the losers who play FPS and shit like that can like it. Basically the people who likes guns.

FF3/6 was amazing. It was the best in the series without a doubt. The characters the story and the gameplay were all great. Also, where are the bugs you're talking about. Vanish/Doom was an intentional bug I think.

Anyways, I had to respond to what you said. Anyone who praises 8 and or 10 and insults 9 and or 6 just angers me. Plus, overrated is not a reason to lower the score of a game. Just like underrated is not a reason to raise the score.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby DSOK » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:14 am

Opinions differ. What else can I say? I'm not going to argue with your opinions; I just won't share them.

However, the only thing I said against Final Fantasy 3 was that it was buggy. And it was really buggy. My first game was ruined by the sketch bug; that makes this a major gameplay issue. Moreover, the Vanish/Doom thing was definitely not intentional; in the situations in the game where Vanish comes up on its own (e.g. the intangirs), the game clearly does not expect you to be able to wipe the enemies out with Doom. (In the case of the Intangirs, you were supposed to have to cast Demi on them over and over, until they get down to under 10 hit points, at which point they run away; that's why you don't receive any experience for killing them, just 10 AP for managing to drive them off through effective use of magic.) Plus, there are other bugs. Evasion doesn't work. There are a whole lot of bugs with the Veldt: bosses appearing there, being able to whoop Gau, not all the monsters being available, etc. There are many others as well.
Demon Sultan of Khaipur
DSOK
S4 Hilyn

Postby Excell » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:57 am

Yeah. Didn't ever notice those. I still think the Vanish/Doom thing was left in intentionally.

I just despise 8 and 10. They are utter shit. Sorry.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby DSOK » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:15 pm

Excell wrote:
I still think the Vanish/Doom thing was left in intentionally.

It was so in the Playstation release. It's not clear what they wanted vanish to do really, but it was undoubtedly bungled in the original release.
Demon Sultan of Khaipur
DSOK
S4 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:17 pm

True, 8 and 10 sucked. 10 was too easy, like, I could complete it in an hour or two, with most sidequests. 8 just plain sucked. And 6 god damn ruled. Who the hell cares about a couple of bugs that you rarely notice unless you try and do absolutley everything the way it should be done.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby DSOK » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:27 pm

Fitz Tayo wrote:
True, 8 and 10 sucked. 10 was too easy, like, I could complete it in an hour or two, with most sidequests. 8 just plain sucked. And 6 god damn ruled. Who the hell cares about a couple of bugs that you rarely notice unless you try and do absolutley everything the way it should be done.

Final Fantasy 10 was shorter than I would have liked, but to finish it in a hour? If you actually believe that, you're nuts.

The bugs in Final Fantasy 3 were not minor. In the days before everybody played these things on emulators, with a walkthrough at their fingertips, the Relm sketch bug was collossal. You try using one character's special abilities, and instantly, your game's ruined! Why do people not get this!?!
Demon Sultan of Khaipur
DSOK
S4 Hilyn

Postby Excell » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:33 pm

Because it happened back in '96. Bugs were fixed. Walkthroughs were created. I'm sure a ton of other games that are amazing now had terrible bugs back in the day. Hell, if The Way was released with terrible bugs and they were fixed it would still be a horrible game? Your case is moot.

10 and 8 were poorly made and rushed. They were horrible. That's final.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Telephalsion » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:43 pm

I wish square would learn from the past and actually make a GREAT ff game. with the amazing job system and maybe add some kind of sphere/materia mix thingy. and for the love of god no airships this time. I'm fed up with them get us a big dragon to ride instead.
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Porter » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:21 pm

FF8 and FF10 are for the final fantasy fans who havent played 4-6 or chrono trigger.

FF6 was bomb, why? Setzer was badass, Locke was badass....well

all the characters were awesome. The world was totally explorable.

damn, I can't say enough about FF6
Porter
S4 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:22 pm

FF9 wasn't wooden at all. The characters were far more developed then 8 or 10 and the step back to traditionalism is actually a very good thing. The new games trying to build up into technology are so all the losers who play FPS and shit like that can like it. Basically the people who likes guns.

That was why I liked FF9, just slightly. Until it got really boring late in the first disc.

One thing that bothers me about games like FF, though, is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to do all the sidequests and crap without walkthroughs or the official strategy guide Square get more of your money for. That was one thing putting me off FF9.
There must have been at least two times where I came out of a cave on to a big evil world map area, with a million extra bits of shit to do. Even if I wanted to go and explore and find out what boring, time-consuming crap they'd shoved in a nice, out-of-the-way location, I couldn't, because of the fucking random battles. It happened sometimes in compulsory areas, too. And since it was so damn linear, I couldn't go and get what I'd missed later, either. SoM was good because it didn't have that problem.

And I admit I've barely played the SNES FF's... I started on 3/6 but got busy with other stuff - FF has never been my first priority. And it suffered from the evil demon random battle world map problem, too.

Games like FF8 and 10 make you wonder if companies actually test their games before releasing them - not for bugs and stuff, but for SHITTINESS OF GAME.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Excell » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:18 pm

Impossible. I....agree with you. Completely. Wow. Although....I didn't mind FF9 in the second half as much as you said you did. Besides that though, I completely agree. FFs do have their share of problems. Play the early games though, they're really fun. Have you played Tactics?
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:38 pm

I've played a little of Tactics, before going insane.
That's another problem FF games have. Strategy RPGs also have the exact same problem. You're expected to know a whole bunch of stuff about the world from the start, so everything is really confusing and you don't know what the characters are talking about.

So if you combine an FF with a Strategy RPG, it's gonna do this twice as much. Thus the insanity.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Excell » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:41 pm

I didn't find that problem to be too bad in FFT. But oh well.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby DSOK » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:07 pm

Excell wrote:
Because it happened back in '96. Bugs were fixed. Walkthroughs were created. I'm sure a ton of other games that are amazing now had terrible bugs back in the day. Hell, if The Way was released with terrible bugs and they were fixed it would still be a horrible game? Your case is moot.

I challenge you to name one other "amazing" game that had a fatal bug.

In any case, I'm free to choose the criteria by which I make my decisions. I gave the original Final Fantasy high marks for what it was in its time. I treat Final Fantasy 3 the same way. The bugs were a big deal when it came out and seriously interfered with gameplay.

As to fixing them, they fixed exactly one bug in the re-release. Granted, it was by far the biggest one, but there were tons of others. There are more minor bugs in that game than I would care to count, present in both versions. (And my statement is literally true; I tried counting them once, but quickly gave up in disgust; they were far too prevalent.) And you claim FF8 and FF10 were rushed? If any game is evidence that Square didn't test do much of any testing, its Final Fantasy 3.
Demon Sultan of Khaipur
DSOK
S4 Hilyn

Postby Excell » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:14 pm

They were rushed because it was poorly constructed.

Most games that release Beta versions have major bugs. I'm almost positive Medieval: Total War had a major bug on release and that is an amazing game surpassing 90% of RPGs.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming