5%
Capcom
No votes
Namco
19%

Total votes : 21

Best Game Making Company(RPGs)

Postby Excell » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:42 pm

This should fit with our current big hit topic.

Mine is Squaresoft.

My fault about the Namco thing. Thanks for pointing it out Impossible. Say Namco if that is your vote. Any other company too.
Last edited by Excell on Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:56 pm

You fool, Excell! You didn't include Namco! All the Tales series players will eat your brains out!

Nintendo makes RPGs? Well, other than Mario RPGs, not really. I'd vote Square for SoM, SD3 and CT, but every other game they've made drags it down. Enix has a similar situation - one shitty longer series, 2 or 3 good games. Capcom really just made Breath of Fire - which was okay, but nothing that makes them the best RPG makers. And Konami... WTF RPGs have Konami made? Maybe Boktai could be considered an action RPG, and some Castlevania games have RPG elements, but... That's about it.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Excell » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:57 pm

Nintendo makes Zelda. Konami makes Suikoden, the greatest RPG series ever to be made. And oh shit I did forget Namco. I had a feeling I was forgetting some. Dammit!
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:21 pm

Zelda is NOT an RPG. I generally consider an RPG to require at least two of these elements, although in really weird RPGs there can be exceptions:

Stats
Levelling up (not boring tedious FF/DQ levelling up, as in the ability to gain levels)
A proper story (less of a major thing now, since most new games tend to have a story)
And something else I'm certain I'm forgetting, but Zelda doesn't have it. I thought of this a while ago and there was something else.

Although some of the Zelda games do have an actual story (most of the ones from Link's Awakening onward had more than three story events), they lack all the other elements of an RPG, so I consider them Adventure games. AoL could potentially be considered an RPG, though.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Excell » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:25 pm

I think Zelda is an RPG cause it does kinda take one character and you play as him the entire game. It's an Adventure/RPG. It's categorized under that, so I have to say it is one.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:27 pm

By that logic, practically every Adventure or Action game is an RPG, too. It isn't. Zelda is not an RPG, because otherwise EVERY Adventure game is.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Excell » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:59 pm

Yeah, I see your point. What I'm saying though is that I think Zelda is classified as an Adventure/RPG. It fits both categories. I dunno though, I know a lot of people might've been upset if I didn't include it.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:06 pm

Jeramyu to the rescue! I added Namco, but voted for Enix anyway.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Excell » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:07 pm

You can add options? Awesome!
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:16 pm

Jeramyu can do anything! Well, not that one thing... but everything else.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby DSOK » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:05 pm

No way is Zelda an RPG. The second Zelda game did have a system for gaining experience points and levels (life levels, magic levels, and attack levels), but it was still really just an adventure game.

For me, a major factor in deciding whether something's an RPG is how important the stats really are. I mean this in the following sense: I have very slow reflexes, and I stink at most action games. The question I ask myself is, "Can I beat this game by building up a powerful enough characters?" For The Secret of Mana, the answer was indubitably "yes"; but for the Zelda game's I've played, there was no way. What really mattered against those hard bosses was your dexterity with the controller, not how effective a Link you'd built.
Demon Sultan of Khaipur
DSOK
S4 Hilyn

Postby Telephalsion » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:06 am

okay zelda IS an rpg, not just a generic one like all the ff, chrono, tales and what have you. you play as a single character live out his role and try to kill evil stuffies. thats an rpg.

it doesn't have the random encounter system, but insted it uses active battle.

You don't get experience but you get magic items.

I love zelda 3, a link to the past.
zelda one and two are frickin difficult, i've never ever gotten past the second bosses :shock: ocarina of time is great really great, with the biggoron sword and the horsie and magic and stuff. Majoras mask is worse, but still pretty good. I haven't played windwaker so I can't tell.
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:07 am

Tele, it's a good thing your opinion is worthless to me already, because MM was really good. Some people actually prefer it to OoT.

Zelda doesn't have stats, levels, experience points, RPG-ish battling (not even action RPG-ish, IMO), or anything else in an RPG. It is really just an Adventure game, and if you say it's an RPG, than so is every other Adventure game.

I decided to vote for Square, since despite all their shit, they DID make my absolute favourite RPGs.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Excell » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:41 am

Okay. Here's the final.

Zelda: A Link to the Past

Genre:
Role-Playing>Action RPG

There, final.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:45 am

Excell wrote:Okay. Here's the final.

Zelda: A Link to the Past

Genre:
Role-Playing>Action RPG

There, final.

Some of them are rated at Action>Fantasy, some are just Adventure some are RPG or whatever. But, because A Link to the Past is called an RPG I guess it must be included.

Next

Return to Gaming