FFXII actually looking good.....

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby DSOK » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:21 pm

Alundra wrote:I couldn't sympathise with tidus's story as much as I could with cloud's or zidane or squall's stories...

What's there to sympathize about with Zidane? He's lives in a world saturated with bird-boys, hippopotomus-boys, rat-boys, etc. And it's supposed to be a tremendous mystery and a source of great personal pain that he's the only monkey-boy in exitsence? Oh, woe is me.

I guess there's also his teenager-in-love routine. A poor simian from the slums falls in love with the richest, most popular girl in the world, yet he can't express his adoration the way he really wants to. Highly unoriginal, but it could have some cachet with other lovesick teenagers, I suppose.
Last edited by DSOK on Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demon Sultan of Khaipur
DSOK
S4 Hilyn

Postby Excell » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:23 pm

Yes.....and Tidus being a dream is better. Or....ooh ooh....Squall is.....LONELY! WOW! And he also happened to know every other character besides Rinoa from when he was a kid. Wonderful.

Cloud's story was kinda depressing though. As is Fei's from Xenogears.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Alundra » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:27 pm

:o :lol: i can understand your point of view on this story dsok, but the same is what happens with tidus and yuna and you know that deep inside... that's what happens in every final fantasy for that matter even in the way: BOY MEETS GIRL THAT HE NORMALLY CAN'T GET NEAR(see rhue's current situation... he's in love with something that is not even physically near...)BUT ENDS UP LOVEY DOVEY AT THE END ANYHOW ¨_^
it's just the way rpg's are...
And i just tend to like zidane more then tidus for reasons unknown... maybe it's cuz i can relate to a part of zidane rahter then tidus...
Cracking jokes all the time, enjoying life and hitting on everything that wears a skirt (after checking if its a true female... no prostetics etc ^_^)
i'm not an athlete so its kinda hard for me to relate to that...
Ken~ says: I'll be a cop by then...
~Alundra~ says:All right, grand tour of china! drivin' around in a cop car!
Ken~says:You'll be wearing the uniform too?
~Alundra~ says:no u'll wear the uniform
~Alundra~ says:i'll just be sitting next to you going woeh woeh woeh ¨-^
Alundra
S3 Hilyn

Postby DSOK » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:39 pm

Alundra wrote::o :lol: i can understand your point of view on this story dsok, but the same is what happens with tidus and yuna and you know that deep inside... that's what happens in every final fantasy for that matter even in the way: BOY MEETS GIRL THAT HE NORMALLY CAN'T GET NEAR(see rhue's current situation... he's in love with something that is not even physically near...)BUT ENDS UP LOVEY DOVEY AT THE END ANYHOW ¨_^
it's just the way rpg's are...

There are similarities between the different stories. However, there is an important additional step in Final Fantasy 9:

BOY MEETS GIRL
BOY IS MONKEY
BOY AND GIRL GO ON ADVENTURES

Plus, they don't always end up lovey-dovey. Tidus, Squall, and (probably) Cloud end up rather dead.
Demon Sultan of Khaipur
DSOK
S4 Hilyn

Postby Excell » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:45 pm

BOY IS DREAM (FF10)
BOY IS ANTISOCIAL LOSER (FF8)

But at least FF9 doesn't have all the other ridiculous stuff like time compression and weird ass puzzles to gather summons......
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby DSOK » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:11 pm

Excell wrote:BOY IS DREAM (FF10)
BOY IS ANTISOCIAL LOSER (FF8)

BOY IS MONKEY is the worst though.

Excell wrote:But at least FF9 doesn't have all the other ridiculous stuff like time compression and weird ass puzzles to gather summons......

What do you have against time compression? It wasn't really explained very thoroughly, but I thought it was rather an interesting sci-fi concept.
Demon Sultan of Khaipur
DSOK
S4 Hilyn

Postby Alundra » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:45 pm

err...
DO REPLAY YOU FF DSOK!!

ff 7-> NOT DEAD!! hence ff 7 something something cerberus... FF7 advent children etc.... cloud has something with tifa in the movie
ff8-> squall and rinoa kiss at the mini movie after the credits....
ff9-> MONKEY KISSES GIRL :p
ff10-2-> tidus kisses yuna and lives on happily ever after with her...
Alundra
S3 Hilyn

Postby DSOK » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:07 pm

Alundra wrote:err...
DO REPLAY YOU FF DSOK!!

ff 7-> NOT DEAD!! hence ff 7 something something cerberus... FF7 advent children etc.... cloud has something with tifa in the movie

That was years later and written by different folks. Humans were almost certainly extinct at the end of the game.

Alundra wrote:ff8-> squall and rinoa kiss at the mini movie after the credits....

That's in Rinoa's fantasy. Squall is dead.

Alundra wrote:ff9-> MONKEY KISSES GIRL :p

This is the only one with the unambigous happy ending.

Alundra wrote:ff10-2-> tidus kisses yuna and lives on happily ever after with her...

Granted, there is a sequel in this case, but at the end of the first game (which was all that they originally intended to make and stands pretty well on its own) Tidus is not around. Maybe he's not exactly dead, but only because maybe he wasn't ever alive, per se.
Demon Sultan of Khaipur
DSOK
S4 Hilyn

Postby Excell » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:08 pm

FF7....humans aren't extinct.

FF8 is shit in every way shape and form. They threw in a bunch of scientific mumbo jumbo cause they saw the technological leap from 3/6-7 was appealing so they overdid it in 8. I mean....flying schools. Come on man.

FF9 is a pretty good game because it is far more traditional FF. Although it does have a crazy modern FF plot. Him being from another planet and all.

FF10 is horrible. Tidus is a fucking pansy Meg Ryan wannabe who plays sports. He is shit along with just about everyone else. This game sucked almost as much as 8.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Alundra » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:24 pm

DSOK ... you suck 8) 8) 8) I'm gonna tell mommy about the evil things you said ^_^ but all in all i think that this is what makes square games good in all... everybody is entitled to have their own opinion on the ending... to you that is what happend... to me... i never saw squall die... so... well ... ;)
Alundra
S3 Hilyn

Postby DSOK » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:00 pm

Alundra wrote:DSOK ... you suck 8) 8) 8) I'm gonna tell mommy about the evil things you said ^_^ but all in all i think that this is what makes square games good in all... everybody is entitled to have their own opinion on the ending... to you that is what happend... to me... i never saw squall die... so... well ... ;)

If you never saw Squall die, you missed most of the ending. He takes forever to expire, lost in time.

If you want proof that he was imaginary, I'm pretty sure that he's not there at the beginning of the shot with Rinoa, but then it pans back and he's miraculously appeared. It's also significant that the sorceress is completely alone on the balcony at the time and that Squall, despite being the commander of SeeD, never appears in the videotaped section. Squall is also conspicuously absent when Laguna and Ellone visit Raine's grave. Is the hero too busy to pay his respects to his own mother?
Demon Sultan of Khaipur
DSOK
S4 Hilyn

Postby Berserker » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:20 am

If you want proof that he was imaginary, I'm pretty sure that he's not there at the beginning of the shot with Rinoa, but then it pans back and he's miraculously appeared. It's also significant that the sorceress is completely alone on the balcony at the time and that Squall, despite being the commander of SeeD, never appears in the videotaped section. Squall is also conspicuously absent when Laguna and Ellone visit Raine's grave. Is the hero too busy to pay his respects to his own mother?

Logically you would be right, but FF8<>Logic, so I guess Squall is alive. :D
"I shouldn't have to live in a world where all good points are horrible ones" (Black mage, 8bit theater)
Berserker
S2 Hilyn

Postby Snapman » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:18 pm

I have to go against the trend here. FF8 is my favourite Final Fantasy game. It takes a while to get into, but Square took a risk and I think it paid off. A really good, interesting lead charecter, Squall, and a really good story. Not only that, but the Junction system was excellent, and offered great flexibility on customization of charecters.

FF9 and FF10 (espeically 10) were horrible games. FF9 had no structure and a dire set of charecters. FF10 was horribly linear. Horribly linear. Horribly linear. With a horribly dull story.

immerse your soul in love
Snapman
Wanderer

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:40 pm

You are no longer worthy of your life, i'll be sending some form of grim reaper to collect your soul.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:15 pm

All the FF games are horribly linear.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming