Best RPG soundtrack?

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Berserker » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:31 am

Xenosaga was produced my Namco, not Square

Well, since Xenogears too wasn't taken in Europe I shall curse Namco AND Square.
"I shouldn't have to live in a world where all good points are horrible ones" (Black mage, 8bit theater)
Berserker
S2 Hilyn

Postby Excell » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:43 pm

Haha. Europeans.... 8)
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby diapadion » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:58 pm

Chrono Trigger. No question.
I've seen many soundtracks in my day, but on the whole, none of them have the lasting value and diversity of the Chrono Trigger songs.
Sure, Xenogears has some really nice tunes, but many of the melodies are reused again and again, plus, the actual arrangement of the originals isn't all that spectacular. The Creid album sort of makes up for this.
Other really nice soundtracks I include are Chrono Cross, the little known Radical Dreamers, Terranigma, Total Annihilation, the early Castlevania games, The Lufia games, plus the Pre-Playstation Final Fantasy games. FFV and FFVI are quite good on their own, and Nobuo Uematsu is an incredible composer, but they don't match up to Chrono Trigger. Probably because Nobuo Uematsu and Yasunori Mitsuda both worked on CT.
Yeah, there are lots of good game soundtracks, although it seems that the best come from Japan. Possibly due to the sheer quantity of total games that come out of Japan.
"When someone asks you why you're oppressing a world, and you reply with a lot of poetic bullshit, then no. There cannot be a meeting of minds."
-"Lord of Light"
by Roger Zelazny
diapadion
Wanderer

Postby Excell » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:44 pm

The reason why the CT songs aren't overused is because it is about 15 hours long. Xenogears can hit upwards of 60 hours. Huge difference.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:41 am

There's some great music in Zelda games, too. Especially the ocarina songs and stuff... But Koji Kondo is just awesome.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Inderos » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:56 pm

Also, it seemed to me that the songs they used more than once were their way of connecting multiple events. A good example of this is the Music Box song... Can't remember what it's called, but they used it several times to connections between Fei and the past.
Inderos
S3 Hilyn

Postby Telephalsion » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:58 am

The zelda 3 map music is simply great... you can hum it repeatedly, same goes for super mario theme.

tohugh final fantasy has it's good songs too, though some are so overused it's not even funny.

Chrono trigger has great music too.

Can't beat F-zero though
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Porter » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:41 am

i'm very suprised Chrono Cross hasn't been touched yet, I thought that was one of greatest.

More underrated:
--------------
1. Final Fantasy 5
2. Suikoden
3. Tales Of Phantasia
4. Final Fantasy Tactics
Porter
S4 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:30 pm

I definitely hold the first two suikodens and wild arms up there... some of those songs have been stuck in my head for several years.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Excell » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:20 pm

Suikoden I, II and III all have good soundtracks. And yes, Chrono Cross has an absolutely amazing soundtrack on par with CT itself.

FF3/6, Suikoden, FF7, Suikoden II, Breath of Fire III, Breath of Fire IV, Terranigma, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Suikoden III, FFT, Xenogears....probly some others. I love all of their soundtracks.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:23 pm

Telephalsion wrote:The zelda 3 map music is simply great... you can hum it repeatedly, same goes for super mario theme.

I've always wished someone would do a single remix of the two LttP overworld themes - light and dark world. It would be so awesome.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby A Wanderer » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:22 pm

Final Fantasy X.

Suteki Da Ne (the song you hear when Tidus and Yuna kiss in the woods) is fantastic!
Kupo!
A Wanderer
Plyn

Postby Excell » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:11 pm

That game and everything about it is crap. Never mention it again. Ever. Anyone.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:36 pm

It's not really a sound track, but it is in a way, The Black Mages I and II are both really good.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:10 pm

Impossible wrote:I've always wished someone would do a single remix of the two LttP overworld themes - light and dark world. It would be so awesome.

I'm almost positive I've seen that on VGMusic, but I can't find it right now.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming