Best RPG soundtrack?

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Teenr0cker » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:23 pm

I just remembered that I really really like the "Emotions lost in Time" OC remix for Tales of Phantasia. And the "You must dance" or something OC remix for Breath of Fire 2. And I like all of the Fire emblem tracks.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Vaylos » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:06 pm

Gotta love OCR :D I think a good half (or more?) my mp3 collection is from Overclocked, but I digress.

IMO, the first suikoden's music was very well done. I can't say anything bout the later ones cause I haven't played them.

FF6 imo was the height of uematsu's work. FF9 was -almost- on par with 6, but it lacked that bit of...something.

Now, in recent times, i've started looking more towards Motoi Sakuraba's music. Star Ocean 3 to name one.

Xenosaga's music was well orchestrated, but only a few tracks out of that game really had any appeal to me, sounded too much like it was scored for movie, as opposed to game music, which I guess could be good and bad. I think I liked Xenogear's music a bit better.

CT and CC all had stellar music...I forget who the composer was though...it wasn't Uematsu...at least I don't think it was.

oh, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I don't think there were any tracks in that game I disliked.

Also: it seems a lot of ppl have been focusing on consoles. I'd like to bring to light some of the PC titles that had decent music. For one, i'm particularly fond of the music by Jeremy Soule. Dungeon Siege, NWN, Icewind Dale II (not sure if he did the first) ... Particularly liked Planescape: Torment's tracks, again not sure if Jeremy wrote those.

Morrowind had some decent music, and it was well written, but a lot of it was really...well...bland (ambient i guess you could say) I think he could have done a better job with it, particularly the battle themes. I'm waiting with baited breath to see (or rather hear) what TES4 will be like.

On a side note: Jeremy also wrote the music for Secret of Evermore. While the game itself was less than stellar, the music was certainly nice.
Vaylos
S1 Hilyn

Postby RentACop » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:55 pm

HolsteinCow wrote:Chrono Trigger. That or Medieval: Total War.

YES. And the valor system makes Medieval enough of an RPG.

Icewind Dale II had a fantastic soundtrack, it kinda overshadowed the game in parts though. NWN stuff was pretty much fantasy elevator music, except for Battle, Large from HOTU, which was awesome.
Maybe if you know your true love is about to move away to college or something, you can stick this shit in the stereo and make the moment last while at the same time listening to pussies whine about bitch shit. Just like you.
RentACop
S2 Hilyn

Postby Takarious » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:40 am

Xenosaga barely even had a soundtrack T_T

But I really loved the classical soundtrack of Icewind Dale. Simply wonderful...
Takarious
S3 Hilyn

Postby Vinintran » Sat May 14, 2005 8:29 pm

It's a hard choice...

but probably Xenogears.
Poke!
Can you dig it?
Vinintran
Wanderer

Postby Lord_Ehrgeiz » Sat May 14, 2005 10:53 pm

Wild Arms: Adalheid.
FFVII: Jenova fight
FFVIII: Laguna's fight
Chocobo dungeon 2: First dungeon theme :D
in order to assess the reality of life, it is necessary at least once to die
Lord_Ehrgeiz
S2 Hilyn

Postby ericfantasy17 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:43 pm

The best soundtrack has to be chrono chross or Final Fantasy 8[/quote] :evil:
ericfantasy17

Postby Burning_Flame » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:52 am

NO your all idiots the best soundtrack is definatly Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2: The lost age
Burning_Flame
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:07 am

Burning_Flame wrote:NO your all idiots the best soundtrack is definatly Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2: The lost age

While some of it is pretty good, it is GBA music which just isn't as good as console music, well, unless its just really bad to begin with.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:45 am

Once I hooked some kick-ass head-phones up to my GBA whilst playing Golden Sun and it made it sound so much better.

I'm very sad.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby ericfantasy17 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:51 pm

IF you like game music You should check out Brave fencer Musashi

Not the best but really good
ericfantasy17

Postby Novahn » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:32 pm

Lord_Ehrgeiz wrote:Wild Arms: Adalheid.

Jeez, is it Adalheid? I've been calling it Aldehyde for years. (Don't ask why I've had the town in mind for years in the first place.)
ericfantasy17 wrote:IF you like game music You should check out Brave fencer Musashi

Musashi music never really stood out for me... With the exception of Musashi Legend, which I believe Lun used in The Way plunges.
Novahn
Plyn

Postby Lord_Ehrgeiz » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:32 pm

Novahn wrote:
Lord_Ehrgeiz wrote:Wild Arms: Adalheid.

Jeez, is it Adalheid? I've been calling it Aldehyde for years. (Don't ask why I've had the town in mind for years in the first place.)

i've just looked on it's name in winamp, there must be some mistake. :oops:
in order to assess the reality of life, it is necessary at least once to die
Lord_Ehrgeiz
S2 Hilyn

Postby Violent_Paradan » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:32 am

The castle theme from Lufia 2 was awesome; probably the best thing that came from Natsume.
Violent_Paradan
Plyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:34 am

The best from Natsumi was the Lufia 3 (on gameboy) battle thing, there are a few orchestral mixes out there which are good songs.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming