I thought this was The WAY, not The RHUE!

=SPOILER ALERT= This is for those people who have FINISHED E6, and wish to discuss theories and stuff. Do NOT use it as a help board.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

I thought this was The WAY, not The RHUE!

Postby Archaius » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:00 am

Alright. I've got quite a few things I pretty much need to get off my chest, here. This is the first thing that has ever moved me to post on these forums (even though I'm sure it's a fantastic community, here, which I say with sincerity).

I've been following 'The Way' for quite some time now. It's been a few years, ever since the initial release of Episode 2.. or was it 3? I've forgotten. Anyhow, I've always been completely wrapped up in this story. I'm a sucker for something deep that gives me room to think and sadly, not many games, movies or even stories are things that I can find origional or intriguing to my tastes. I found this series to be a nice exception. With this comes a whole lot of respect. Sadly, not even many proffessional developers will put too much effort into making an origional and worthwhile game. I'm greatful for the hard work that went into Episode 6... (and here it comes, the inevitable...) but...

I just finished Episode 6 and watched the (normal) ending... and...
Was that it??

Things concerning Rhue made sense to me. Infact, I had suspected the whole shadow-sword, aura-absorbing, multiple personality Rhue deal for quite some time now, ever since he killed Lyrra's father (and got new Auras for doing it). Especially with people always mistaking him for someone else. I'm a little fuzzy about Traziun (did he kill his own mother? He said he was gonna take an eye for an eye and killed himself so... was vengeance or an act of defiance? Did HE have a shadow sword?! I KNOW I missed something, here *head explodes*) So, Rhue makes perfect sense to me, which is great and all...

But I was REALLY interested in THE WAY. Remember The Way? The mysterious rolling mists. Nomadic wanderers with shady characters in the distant background, pulling strings, like Tetzel and the Guided. The ever-so-questioned END of the Way. Dirk said there were no real forerunners, right? So what's the real deal with The Way? Are there really rolling mists? The guy in the theater (Episode 6), who I can assume may be a man killed by Rhue's shadow sword (or maybe a part of the real Rhue) claimed he saw the mists? Was that just bogus? Was that place at the end of Episode 5 really the End of the Way? Why had Rhue been there before?

Sure, "Rhue" has "been around for a long time", but Gaius clearly said that the END of the Way "used to be right here". And then the two of them started running past that point. So how did Rhue go further then that point between the time Gaius discovered the place which USED to be "the End" and the time Rhue(as Midian) killed Jeruh?? We know he had been there before because it was already in his memory and yet... according to Gaius, the area which was clearly in his memory hadn't even existed beforehand?? Does this mean Rhue somehow created the part of The Way where Traziun committed suicide? Well, that wouldn't make sense, would it? Now I'm even more confused..

And what's going on with the big towers? They're mentioned in an earlier episode as being indestructable and that nobody can get inside. The ones that are EVERYWHERE all over the Title Screen for Episode 6.. Did I miss something, or was the subject just touched on and completely left alone (I'm not being sarcastic. I know I must have missed something here)?

I know that the other endings answer a lot of questions regarding some of the characters.. but, that's just not enough. What kept me playing through the agony of the extreme challenge which was Episode 6 was the idea that Rhue's story would somehow tie into all of this and the "Truth would hide nothing". In the beginning of Episode 6, I didn't see a picture of Rhue, I saw a picture of those towers from The Way. Maybe they were just meant to be metaphorical by being in the Title Screen?

Wow.. What is going on, here? This can't be the end, right? It let me save my stats after the credits, so there WILL be a sequel which wraps things up... right? I've been eagerly following this story for years and was sort of dissapointed with this... Maybe the story will be concluded while focusing on characters other then "Rhue"?

I hope this post wasn't too long, or badly written, but I've read through quite a few topics and still had the urge to vent my frustration by tossing it on here. I'll try to stop editing this messy post now, go have a cup of tea and relax. Maybe you guys have already been thinking of the answers to some of my questions.
..I haven't lost anything yet. I'm just getting started!
Archaius
Wanderer

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:10 pm

I'm a little fuzzy about Traziun (did he kill his own mother? He said he was gonna take an eye for an eye and killed himself so... was vengeance or an act of defiance? Did HE have a shadow sword?! I KNOW I missed something, here *head explodes*) So, Rhue makes perfect sense to me, which is great and all...

Well, what I think it was getting at was the sword killed his mom, and when Traziun killed himself, the sword was destroyed.

Was that place at the end of Episode 5 really the End of the Way? Why had Rhue been there before?

The Way is circular, so if you could live long enough you could walk all the way around it. I think.

Sure, "Rhue" has "been around for a long time", but Gaius clearly said that the END of the Way "used to be right here". And then the two of them started running past that point. So how did Rhue go further then that point between the time Gaius discovered the place which USED to be "the End" and the time Rhue(as Midian) killed Jeruh?? We know he had been there before because it was already in his memory and yet... according to Gaius, the area which was clearly in his memory hadn't even existed beforehand?? Does this mean Rhue somehow created the part of The Way where Traziun committed suicide? Well, that wouldn't make sense, would it? Now I'm even more confused..

Same circular thing, the end of the way constatly moves with the mists I guess. Theres really no concreate proof to this.

And what's going on with the big towers? They're mentioned in an earlier episode as being indestructable and that nobody can get inside. The ones that are EVERYWHERE all over the Title Screen for Episode 6.. Did I miss something, or was the subject just touched on and completely left alone (I'm not being sarcastic. I know I must have missed something here)?

Nope, you're right, they're never mentioned again. Dunno why. Well, there is a certain path of clues in the coding that happens to spell out Citadel, but other then that its never mentioned again.

Wow.. What is going on, here? This can't be the end, right? It let me save my stats after the credits, so there WILL be a sequel which wraps things up... right? I've been eagerly following this story for years and was sort of dissapointed with this... Maybe the story will be concluded while focusing on characters other then "Rhue"?

Maby we'll play as another character, maby we'll play a prequal, maby both. Maby what comes next wont be a game. Lun might even decide to end it right here. We dont know.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Pieolence » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:22 pm

Sage Of The Wise wrote:
I'm a little fuzzy about Traziun (did he kill his own mother? He said he was gonna take an eye for an eye and killed himself so... was vengeance or an act of defiance? Did HE have a shadow sword?! I KNOW I missed something, here *head explodes*) So, Rhue makes perfect sense to me, which is great and all...

Well, what I think it was getting at was the sword killed his mom, and when Traziun killed himself, the sword was destroyed.

Actually... I don't think the sword was "destroyed" since... as Rhue (Kura) said... shadow swords cannot be destroyed... I personally think that the sword just got blown away by the explosion that was caused when Traziun killed himself... causing it to get stuck in a cliff... though this is just my opinion... though since it isn't likely that Lun is going to make a 7th episode... we will probably never find out...
Pieolence
Wanderer

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:16 pm

All Rhue knows about shadow swords are what hes been told by other people. The sword shattered before the explosion. The sword on the cliff is most likely the Night Reaper, which Traziun had up until that last scene, he apperantly left it on the cliff. Not sure why there was blood on it though.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Angel_OA » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:34 am

Sage Of The Wise wrote:Not sure why there was blood on it though.

Its Traziun, he likes killing stuff.
From what my barber told me, I now knew that nothing was real.
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby fwacho » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:57 am

Archius.. wow , you're very perceptive. Lun left loose ends because he wanted to explore them further.. he just hasn't had the opportunity yet. Keep in mind he did write a script with me back in 2003. It's pretty darn good but relies on some knowledge of the "The Way" original to work to full effect. It actually goes in to the how and why of mists and metnions stromgrod and give some details on you favorite characters.. problem is it's not polished and Lun refuse to put forth what he believes to be an inferior product. If lun can get his carrer launched ther is a chance the rest of it will fall into place an you'll seem something like "Lost" come out of it. (that would be best as movie just couldn't be long enough.) if nay of you know a hollywood producer looking for a great script or adaptation have them contact Lun as he looking for work as screen writer (after the strike at least)
"psst hey buddy... you wanna buy my book?"
fwacho
S3 Hilyn

Postby Porter » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:17 am

fwacho, as easy as it would be for all of us to dip into our list of favors owed to us by producers and directors..........

Wait, I live in Wisconsin.
Porter
S4 Corlyn

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:59 pm

Here's another layer of symbolism that just came to me. The Way is just like each of our own lives. The mists behind us are the past we can't return to no matter how much we might want to. The mists ahead of us are the future and all the promise and hope and terror and uncertainty they might hold. The revealed Way is the present time, and what each of the characters represent in that day-to-day struggle, I do not know. I do think that this is part of what Lun was striving for. His comments hidden in the code lead me to this conclusion, though it's more of a feeling than anything concrete I can point to.

Not that many of us are pondering such things these days anyway.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Re: I thought this was The WAY, not The RHUE!

Postby Archaius » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:42 am

I read through some of my old posts and came here.

My rantings which started this topic (and some others) are somewhat cringe-worthy and disrespectful. I'd like to take a lot of those comments back, even though that was ages ago.

...May seem trivial, but I felt compelled to make this statement based on the fact that simply because I don't personally sympathize with or understand (although I do now) another persons work of art or sense of self-expression doesn't mean I have the right to so deeply criticize it in such a condescending manner.
Archaius
Wanderer

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:07 pm

heh, well thinking back on your topic title, the game really is The Rhue, but that would just be a silly name for a game obviously. But the idea behind having all the mysteries that are never solved or mentioned again is because we are following Rhue and its unrealistic for one man to happen to learn every secret of the world, especially when he's not trying to.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Wellsy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:28 pm

fwacho wrote:Keep in mind he did write a script with me back in 2003. It's pretty darn good but relies on some knowledge of the "The Way" original to work to full effect. It actually goes in to the how and why of mists and metnions stromgrod and give some details on you favorite characters.. problem is it's not polished and Lun refuse to put forth what he believes to be an inferior product.

So, it's been long enough now that I think if this is true Lun or fwacho should post this "script" or any other background materials. Speculation has pretty much died off since the Way ambiguously ended, and its author seems to have moved on or forgotten about everything that went on here. If there's a novel coming, this community is so small and shriveled at this point that "spoilers" revealed in the working towards The Way won't make a difference to a larger literary audience. If a series or movie is hoped for ... let's be honest, this is also so far away at this point that, again, nothing is lost if stuff is shared with your fan community.

Guarantee you that no one here would consider this stuff "inferior product," more like the background stuff Christopher Tolkien did with his dad's notes. Publish and share it.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Archaius » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:08 am

Wellsy wrote:
fwacho wrote:Keep in mind he did write a script with me back in 2003. It's pretty darn good but relies on some knowledge of the "The Way" original to work to full effect. It actually goes in to the how and why of mists and metnions stromgrod and give some details on you favorite characters.. problem is it's not polished and Lun refuse to put forth what he believes to be an inferior product.

So, it's been long enough now that I think if this is true Lun or fwacho should post this "script" or any other background materials. Speculation has pretty much died off since the Way ambiguously ended, and its author seems to have moved on or forgotten about everything that went on here. If there's a novel coming, this community is so small and shriveled at this point that "spoilers" revealed in the working towards The Way won't make a difference to a larger literary audience. If a series or movie is hoped for ... let's be honest, this is also so far away at this point that, again, nothing is lost if stuff is shared with your fan community.

Guarantee you that no one here would consider this stuff "inferior product," more like the background stuff Christopher Tolkien did with his dad's notes. Publish and share it.

I agree with a few aspects of what you're saying. But, while it may seem like this community has/is withered into obscurity- I strongly believe that if he were to begin releasing new material, everyone from back when would flood back and new fans would appear. "The Way" is something that people remember. But it would still be pretty cool to see something extra for (what's left of) the community here. As long as it doesn't ruin or spoil anything.
Archaius
Wanderer

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:25 pm

Clearly the only course of action is to wait until Lun is dead and guilt his theoretical son into releasing it all.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Wellsy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:19 pm

Alternatively, we could kidnap his kitteh and hold it for ransom.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Return to POST-EPISODE 6 Discussion