Just finished, some questions/comments

=SPOILER ALERT= This is for those people who have FINISHED E6, and wish to discuss theories and stuff. Do NOT use it as a help board.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Just finished, some questions/comments

Postby Magnusblitz » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:49 am

First off...

Well, reading the board, there seems to be a consensus that many didn't like Episode 6 AS AN ENDING...of which I have to heartily agree. Was it an excellent episode, full of twists, turns, good battles, secrets and such? YES, resoundingly. Was it a good ending? NO. We barely see any of Kloe, Traziun, and Gaius. Scatha and Dirk are relegated to a speechless scene in the ending cinematic. Hell, 95% of Episode 6 DOESN'T REALLY HAPPEN. It's all just Rhue's search for himself.

If anything, part of the problem is the huge amount of questions left...such as...

1. Ok, so Rhue finds out that for the entirety of The Way eps 1 through 6, he's basically been operating under the assumption of the personality he absorbed by killing Jeruh. So...who was Rhue before this? Obviously the parallel of Gauis and Rhue being a sort of Kura/Kava is there, but why, exactly? What did they do? Rhue seems perfectly okay will slaying Jeruh...who, even if he WAS holding a Shadow Sword, one would still think that Rhue could've shown a bit more interest in trying to help Jeruh (as Gaius seems to do...or is it only because Rhue was his partner?)

2. Who exactly IS Gaius? We know he's one of the Blood Lyn's attempts at the perfect dispenser of justice (sorry, I forgot the exact title), but why is he traversing around, killing people with Rhue before The Way begins?

In fact, the more I think about it, the more that scene (Rhue killing Jeruh) doesn't make any sense. Gaius walks up, and is basically like "you good? 'Kay." and leaves. Yeah, let's just leave the Shadow Sword there. Don't get freaked out when Rhue runs off by himself. And don't try to fix Rhue right away, either, despite the fact that you know something's wrong with him. Let him round around for six episodes instead.

3. Where do Scatha (and Dirk, to a lesser extent) fit into all of this? Scatha acts like she knows Rhue, but (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong) nothing is revealed on their connection. Dirk knows Scatha...etc.

4. As another person pointed out, this is "The Way", not "The Rhue". So what IS the deal with The Way? Does it have a start and an end (the mists?) Whose interpretation was correct? Does Sacrifa's musings early in Ep 6 that Teztel invented "the purpose" simply akin to saying "yeah, he created this God that we're supposed to follow, it's all BS"?
Magnusblitz
Wanderer

Postby dyyhpys » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:01 am

I can only help you with 3 look in the other thery threads about the other.

3. Where do Scatha (and Dirk, to a lesser extent) fit into all of this? Scatha acts like she knows Rhue, but (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong) nothing is revealed on their connection. Dirk knows Scatha...etc.

Scatha is Slades Sister, and i think she is Serena's older sister too. And Dirk... well... No idea about him.
ALAN: Badgering? I never mentioned
a badger. I'm talking about kitty
kats.
dyyhpys
S1 Hilyn

Postby Ovenhole » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:14 am

As for Scatha knowing Rhue, I think she confused him with Jeruh. They do look alike, so if she hasn't seen him since he was a child, it is an easy mistake to make.
"Give a man a fire and keep him warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life." (Terry Pratchett)
Ovenhole
S1 Hilyn

Postby Magnusblitz » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:20 am

I knew Scatha was Slade's sister, but I still consider that (Slade/Scatha) to be somewhat seperated from the other collection of characters...

As for being Serena's sister, that would make it fit in a bit more. Thanks.
Magnusblitz
Wanderer

Re: Just finished, some questions/comments

Postby Aegis » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:24 am

Magnusblitz wrote:2. Who exactly IS Gaius? We know he's one of the Blood Lyn's attempts at the perfect dispenser of justice

No, WE DON'T. I really think that the new perfect blade was Rhue. Remember what the Phantom Slasher said?

The Phantom Slasher wrote:We are good for one another.\.\.\. The
perfect instrument of justice when
combined together.
\s[4]Evil fears us greatly.

This certainly implies that he is Kalmar's perfect blade. We only think that Gaius is because Trazuin thought he was.
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

<Jeramyu> I'm going to mistranslate our own anime, and piss ourselves off.
Aegis
S3 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:36 am

In fact, the more I think about it, the more that scene (Rhue killing Jeruh) doesn't make any sense. Gaius walks up, and is basically like "you good? 'Kay." and leaves. Yeah, let's just leave the Shadow Sword there. Don't get freaked out when Rhue runs off by himself. And don't try to fix Rhue right away, either, despite the fact that you know something's wrong with him. Let him round around for six episodes instead.

Jeruh lost his shadow sword along time before he was killed, the shadow sword Rhue has seems to be his from before he was Rhue.

We are good for one another.\.\.\. The
perfect instrument of justice when
combined together.
\s[4]Evil fears us greatly.

This certainly implies that he is Kalmar's perfect blade. We only think that Gaius is because Trazuin thought he was.

It says Rhue is an intument of justice, nothing about Kalmar. Slade was a instrument of justice too, albiet a very scewed justice, but that kind of justice seems very popular in The Way. Just because somthing is an "instrument of justice" doesnt meen it has anything to do with Kalmar. Though on the other hand you could be right, we really have no way of knowing.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Magnusblitz » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:23 pm

Thanks for the corrections on Gaius/the Shadow Sword. The scene makes a bit more sense now (though obviously there's a lot unexplained).
Magnusblitz
Wanderer

Postby Telephalsion » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:18 pm

Why would Evil fear a shadow sword, I mean aren't they on the same side? Makes you wonder...
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby dyyhpys » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:56 pm

It could be a different type of evil, there doesn't always have to be only one type.
ALAN: Badgering? I never mentioned
a badger. I'm talking about kitty
kats.
dyyhpys
S1 Hilyn

Postby Non-Sequitur » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:46 pm

There is a problem with there being a parallel between Rhue and Gaius and Kava and Kura.
Gaius wrote:The first time we really met.\.\.\.
We were chasing\.\. someone.
Non-Sequitur
Linkmaster General

Postby Magnusblitz » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:32 pm

Non-Sequitur wrote:There is a problem with there being a parallel between Rhue and Gaius and Kava and Kura.
Gaius wrote:The first time we really met.\.\.\.
We were chasing\.\. someone.

I interpreted that in the game as Gaius meeting Jeruh-Rhue for the first time, not Rhue-mercenary...but now that you mention it, I can see it the way you mentioned it.

Which begs the question...why were BOTH Gaius and Rhue-Merc chasing Jeruh if they were unrelated? Why does Gaius show any care about Rhue-Merc at all? (Though this does explain why Gaius doesn't care about him, and just leaves, despite the fact that Rhue-Merc is obviously NOT okay).
Magnusblitz
Wanderer

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:09 am

Which begs the question...why were BOTH Gaius and Rhue-Merc chasing Jeruh if they were unrelated?

Isn't that the million dollar question. Maby he knew Rhue had a shadow sword, I dunno.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:27 pm

The fact that Gaius is chasing Jeruh raises the possibility that Rhue had a completely different reason for killing Jeruh, and he didn't have Midian's aura.

As for Scatha knowing Rhue, I think she confused him with Jeruh. They do look alike, so if she hasn't seen him since he was a child, it is an easy mistake to make.

Scatha almost certainly thought that Rhue was Jeruh, but we don't know for sure...
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby fwacho » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:08 am

Telephalsion wrote:Why would Evil fear a shadow sword, I mean aren't they on the same side? Makes you wonder...

Do you rmember all teh stuff said about justice. do you remeber that really long thread about what makes somthign right ("strata down but not out" if I rmemeber it right.

A major hint to answer some questions pay careful attention to Jopoga's conversation, the man in the mines, and even, yes, the Phantom of the Opera. some real gems there.

The answer to major question 2. who is gaius... based on what you've learned, who do you think. what makes him who he is, is even mention at least once in a conversation. The clues as to why Gaius would work with "Rhue" are every where and just barely short of heavy handed.

major question 3...about scatha and dirk... I think they are kind of irrelevant.

major question 4. do you remember some one mentioning the mists? Od you remember the story of Janwen. how do those co-exist beside each other? There is also an intersting book shelf which answers the quesion about tetzel and makes a historical point in our own world.

seriously.. the book shelves are total gems. you should make a point of noting every one.

well now that you have a thousand things to recheck I'll stop.
"psst hey buddy... you wanna buy my book?"
fwacho
S3 Hilyn

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:35 am

fwacho wrote:major question 3...about scatha and dirk... I think they are kind of irrelevant.

You're right - two major characters that factored heavily in Rhue's journey and the events of the Way ARE pretty irrelevant. Just like how Tetzel, the Purpose, Kloe, Strata and the Blana Sera are irrelevant, huh?

But never mind, we have arcane events hidden in bookcases to satisfy our curiosity and answer any and all questions we might have.

Quite frankly, I dislike having to infer major plot points from vague references in RM2K events. These aren't minor questions of slight importance - these are important issues with Rhue, the Purpose, and the Way, issues for which we've played 6 episodes in order to discover some semblance of closure. So the answer to all of these questions is, "Scour RM2K events, make up some theories and forget about resolution"?

No. This vagueness, this gray area doesn't make the Way any deeper or more mysterious, only more frustrating - there's too much gray area, too much that's open to interpretation. Someone made a comment that it's unfair to make a comparison to Sherlock Holmes, where fans demanded an addendum to a story that was finished as opposed to here where there are major holes yet to be filled. There is too much in question and too many holes to just say, "Well, you figure the rest out." After looking at all the disparate theories on these forums, there will never be a satisfactory resolution to these issues unless it comes from The Way itself.

And I fear that won't happen.

So we go around in circles until we tire of the chase.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Next

Return to POST-EPISODE 6 Discussion