The Girl is not Serena.

=SPOILER ALERT= This is for those people who have FINISHED E6, and wish to discuss theories and stuff. Do NOT use it as a help board.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby yoreliter » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:37 am

if you were to go to the Ep6 music folder, they actually have a song for the girl, and it is Aerith's death scene music from FF7, i think this maybe a hint that the girl is serena by comparing her to aeris, a love that was killed.
The best actions almost never yield the best consequences
yoreliter
S1 Hilyn

Postby Kyle » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:53 am

I don't think Lun has played Final Fantasy VII. He also uses the slums music (I hope I'm not mistaken here...) for Dream Estrana. If he would follow your analogy he would have used the music from the City of the Ancients :wink:
Nah, that was a joke argument :) Truth is I don't think Lun looks at the origin of the songs he uses at all.
Kyle
S3 Hilyn

Postby Swicord » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:01 pm

The first time I played through to Episode 5, it was red. I lost my save file and played through it again, this time choosing blonde to see if it would change the colour of Cetsa's hair, which of course, it didn't.

That it is now firmly established in Episode 6 that Serena's hair was, in fact, blonde, must have some significance. Probably connecting to being Slade's sister. Or to being The Girl. Those are two puzzle pieces that it could seemingly relate to, but for the various reasons already gone over I personally do not believe The Girl to be Serena. One thing that I don't get about her being Slade's sister though is that Slade must also therefore be a survivor of the Landorin Massacre, which to my knowledge has never been even hinted at.

Lyyra thought she was the only survivor.

Midian thought that he was the only survivor.

Slade fits in... how now? Did he also think that he was the only survivor? If he had been invited to that gathering in the forest, he would have been killed, because niether Midian or Lyyra thought he had survived. If he HADN'T been invited to the gathering, then he obviuosly would not have been killed, which would contradict both Lyyra and Midian thinking that they were the only survivors. Slade would have survived by not being there, and Midian and Lyyra should both know that.
Swicord
Wanderer

Postby Ghoti » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:40 pm

What? Slade isn't considered a survivor of the Landorin Massacre simply because he wasn't a part of it. The Landorin Massacre only took place in that forest. Not every child from the Landorin Stretch who was alive after that event was considered a survivor of it. Only the ones who survived after going to that gathering in the forest were.
Ghoti
S1 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:19 pm

1. She knows Rhue. You dont see this girl any other time in the game, however. She was absorbed some time before the game.

Yeah you do, shes in ep5, she explains the teleportation things.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby sqpat » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:47 pm

Sage Of The Wise wrote:
1. She knows Rhue. You dont see this girl any other time in the game, however. She was absorbed some time before the game.

Well, you never see her ALIVE at any time.
sqpat
Wanderer

Postby Jasonflare » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:48 pm

sqpat wrote:
Sage Of The Wise wrote:

Well, you never see her ALIVE at any time.

?
What? If we applied this, then we wouldn't have thoeries.
Jasonflare
S2 Hilyn

Postby Thanatos » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:03 pm

Various notes here, but...

I find that the Anxious Heart song that plays in Dream Estrana to be very fitting for the piece, as it's filled with such an intense melancholy, and really created of feeling of there being no future... I'd say it's a great theme for a ruined city populated entirely by shadows.

If we've fully accepted that Dream Estrana must be the collective auras absorbed by the Phantom Slasher, then you have to also believe that the people of Dream Estrana aren't really who they are. They're just shadows, projections of their actual souls when they were still alive. (In this sense, I find the ending with Lexus to be somewhat delusional, because her soul is long gone... Dream Estrana's not the equivalent of the afterlife.)

While this challenges the generally accepted theory somewhat, I don't really see why The Girl can't be just be imaginary, or a shadow of a memory of Serena.

Then again, is it really worth thinking about that much? None of the endings really have Rhue being reuinited at long last with Serena, and even if it is correct that The Girl is in fact Serena (which I like to believe), it can't actually *be* Serena, unless Dream Estrana isn't what we think it is, and is in fact, the afterlife.

A happy ending where Rhue meets Serena again can only involve him dying, really. It's part of the great tragedy of it all. The girl who Rhue had been searching for those past five episodes, the one who he idolised above all others, was a) a girl he never actually knew, and b) was sadly murdered long ago.

We really don't have much to work with except for theories, based on theories, based on other theories. We don't have enough solid information to say whether The Girl is or isn't Serena. There's evidence for it, and against it. Don't get me wrong, I would greatly love to know the truth about the whole matter, and how everything *actually* fits together, but we're missing to many pieces to this puzzle to really come to definitive conclusions on our own.

PS: Anxious Heart is the actual title of the song used in Dream Estrana and in the slums of Midgar. I love FFVII as much as I love The Way. Two of the greatest character-driven RPGs in my opinion.
Thanatos
Wanderer

Postby Imoto » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:27 pm

Thanatos wrote:(In this sense, I find the ending with Lexus to be somewhat delusional, because her soul is long gone... Dream Estrana's not the equivalent of the afterlife.)

Rhue/Jeruh is also a shadow. It works out. The only one who's not a shadow is the original Venge/Mimic/Kura/whoever he was originally.
Imoto
S1 Hilyn

Re: The Girl is not Serena.

Postby Non-Sequitur » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:42 pm

sqpat wrote: Who says people dont age in Dream Estrana..? I didn't notice anything that suggested lyrra had been there for years, at all. The rest of the people there seemed to suggest that the whole Estrana blowing up thing was quite recent.

RHUE: Jed, how did you get here?
JED: Oh, I've been here so
long that I don't remember.
Non-Sequitur
Linkmaster General

Postby Thanatos » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:50 pm

And we know perfectly well that he's been there for what... A few days? Tops?

If we really trust the perspective of the shadows existance in Dream Estrana, then Lyrra simply *must* be a Princess.
Thanatos
Wanderer

Postby Impossible » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:17 pm

It would make perfect sense if Jed has been there for a week or two and simply has no recollection of when he arrived, so it feels like it's been longer.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Imoto » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:41 pm

Actually, when you consider that the entire time Rhue is in Dream Estrana, which was like, weeks, actually happened in the space of, what, a few seconds in the real world?

The perspective of time there is warped.
Imoto
S1 Hilyn

Postby Impossible » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:48 pm

But the perspective of time =/= the passing of time.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Imoto » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:37 pm

Both are probably warped.
Imoto
S1 Hilyn

PreviousNext

Return to POST-EPISODE 6 Discussion