The Way and The Wheel of Time

=SPOILER ALERT= This is for those people who have FINISHED E6, and wish to discuss theories and stuff. Do NOT use it as a help board.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

The Way and The Wheel of Time

Postby Requiem » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:20 pm

After a long stagnation of new theories and tie-ins, a remarkably obscure reference by Fwacho led me and a friend of mine on a wild chase that caused us to stumble upon a wealth of brand new information.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, after being given the advice to “Think like Robert Jordan”, I rushed off to the greatest place on the internet: Wikipedia. It was there I sat, eyes wide, mouth gaping at the information contained, as if reading the darkest secrets of the Necronomicon.

In the beginning, this was the first entry I found.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Jordan
I chuckled a bit, thinking Lun had made an interesting reference to a favorite author, seeing as Mr. Jordan apparently received his diploma from a military college called “The Citadel”.

I delved further, however, looking into a page dedicated to one of his most famous works: A twelve book long series titled “The Wheel of Time”. I began to read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time
Leaping Lands of Lun, the parallels are INSTANTANEOUS. I will no go overboard in detail, as I believe you’ll be able to draw the same conclusions as I have from reading the wiki, but I will highlight a few key points.

It seems “The Creator” made the world known as “The Wheel of Time” which spins in a, yes, you guessed it, cyclical nature. Very easily one can parallel this Creator to the Purpose, and this cyclical repetition of the world can be juxtaposed to the pattern in which The Way flows.

But wait, it gets better.

“The Creator imprisoned Shai'tan, known as the Dark One, a powerful, evil being, at the moment of creation, sealing him away from the Wheel.” Hello, Lord Below. Funny seeing you here.

“Robert Jordan's novels concern themselves with one incarnation of the Dragon in particular. About 3500 years have passed since the last war between Shai'tan and the Light, which the Dragon (known as Lews Therin Telamon in that life) ended by patching the hole in the Dark One's prison with the help of a group of other male channelers known as the Hundred Companions. Unfortunately, the Dark One managed to taint saidin, the male half of the One Power, with a counterstroke which brought madness and a wasting sickness to any man who channeled it. The taint quickly overcame Lews Therin and his companions and eventually drove every male channeler to insanity, with catastrophic results that changed the face of the world.”
Yes, I know it’s the whole paragraph, but it’s necessary. The Dragon seems to very easily be Rhue. The Dark One, before being sealed once more, manages to “taint saidin”. Shadow Swords, anyone? The original heroes are driven mad. Oh, how similar the effects sound to the wielders of shadow swords.

I’m sure I’ve piqued your interest by now, so I’ll leave much of the rest up to you. I implore you to be certain you check out a few more links, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aes_Sedai
Suprisingly similar to a certain organization, hm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Legends
Janwen was the peek of knowledge and civilization. Then it fell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa%27angreal
Do read up on the Items of Power. Also, scroll down a bit further and you’ll notice “The Way of the Leaf”. Silly Paradans. A lot of other stuff on this page is good, too. Especially the section on Organizations.

The list could go on, and I will doubtlessly update it when I feel the need and inclination.
But GODS, why haven’t we noticed this before? Why isn’t it constantly referred to? With so many similarities, these books could give us the ANSWERS we’ve been seeking so very long. Just in the couple hours I’ve spent browsing this information, my head is already filled with brand new realizations. But that’s for another time.

I encourage all and anyone to go out and read these books immediately. I know that’s what I’m off to do.
Momento mori.
Requiem
Plyn

Postby yoreliter » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:24 pm

There we go, maybe we can finally get some answers. ^_^
The best actions almost never yield the best consequences
yoreliter
S1 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:56 pm

The forum must run on a cyclical timeline as well. The theories and tie-ins just keep circleing around. Arn't we due for another reincarnation of the "Which 'The Way' character are you" topic?

Granted, I still havent gotten around to reading those books since the last time this topic came about. Why can't someone just make a movie...
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sarcasm » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:03 pm

Perhaps they are similiar in some ways, But I doubt we can find our anwsers here . . .
Last edited by Sarcasm on Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Requiem » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:04 pm

So it has been mentioned before.

What the hell, then? You'd think it would have been made a bigger deal of.

Ah, well, I'm sure a lot of people will still appreciate this.
Momento mori.
Requiem
Plyn

Postby yoreliter » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:15 pm

Wait a second, if this had been mentioned before, then this question surely came up:

Why is Lun's "The Way" and Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" so alike?
yoreliter
S1 Hilyn

Postby Sarcasm » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:05 am

LUN IS ROBERT JORDAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

OR

Like any other author, Lun has took some themes from his own favorite author.

OR

Its simply a coincidence.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby PsychicK » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:20 am

I've been reading this series for a while, I still havn't returned the last book I read, of this series, to the library.

Unfortunely, I can't think of any major similariaty (sp?). I don't think we'll find any answers there, but I'll still look into it. This might actually drive me to finally go to the library. >.>
Don't argue with an idiot because he will bring you down to his level and beat you on experience.
PsychicK
S1 Hilyn

Postby Masked Gamer » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:04 am

Odds are there are tie-ins that are less literal. I don't think any of the similiarities mentioned above are that conclusive at all... those seem coincidental. But Fwacho has mentioned Robert Jordan a couple times, sometimes in conjunction with other clues, so I'd say it's worth looking at this series. I get the feeling that The Way is similar to The Wheel of Time series conceptually rather than directly.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby yoreliter » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:55 am

Well, if fwacho wants us to think like the guy, we might need to read his books, OR one of us could write him a letter asking him to play The Way and figure it out for us.

LUN IS ROBERT JORDAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

That is what i think. And if you read Robert Jordan's :Wiki Article: it says something about having alot of different pen names. So, Lun Calstari (Sorry if it's spelt wrong) or Luke Walchotz (Sorry for that one, too) could just be a new form of pen names for Robert Jordan.
yoreliter
S1 Hilyn

Postby Ovenhole » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:10 am

If Lun was Robert Jordan, we would recognize him easily, because his answer to everything would be "Read and find out". ;-)
"Give a man a fire and keep him warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life." (Terry Pratchett)
Ovenhole
S1 Hilyn

Postby yoreliter » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:13 am

Well, all fwacho ever tells us is "Another Run-through" this and "Another Book-Case" that. But i guess he is right seeing as how we still haven't came to a conclusion on ANYTHING.
yoreliter
S1 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:18 am

Maybe Lun is like one of those immortal people off of the film Highlander and regularly changes his name (and/or fakes his own death) so not to arouse suspicion to his immortality.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby PsychicK » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:11 pm

Mmm, can anyone point out any clues reference Fwacho made to Robert Jordan? I'll look into those, and find any similiarity or w/e....
Don't argue with an idiot because he will bring you down to his level and beat you on experience.
PsychicK
S1 Hilyn

Postby Non-Sequitur » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:41 pm

Non-Sequitur
Linkmaster General

Next

Return to POST-EPISODE 6 Discussion