A Solution

=SPOILER ALERT= This is for those people who have FINISHED E6, and wish to discuss theories and stuff. Do NOT use it as a help board.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

A Solution

Postby yoreliter » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:36 pm

Sarcasm made a good point, as a community, we do not work together. Everyone is on a completely different page and people's knowledge about all the different theories varies greatly and in an unfortunate manner.

In the shower i thought about it. Why was everyone so chaotic with their knowledge of the Way? And i came ot the conclusion that because every occurance in the Way is unisolated, this creates a plethora of connections and relationships between every ocurrance. There is a foreboding siespool of tangled webs between every ocurrance.

What I Propose:

Is that some number of us(I would say 10) gets together on some internet chat(Aim, XFire, or Ventillo) and we all play "The Way" at the same time. We do everything at the exact same moment and coordinate all the knowledge we come up with and have a couple of people record all of our findings. This way, we have 10 people's simultaneous opinions on what is happening, instead of 100 people's unjoined theories. Of course, there would be a leader, who would tell everyone when to proceed or check for anything suspicious. Everyone would have to have RMK2. And there are many more specifics to work out, but right now I am throwing this out there, and I hope many people get excited about it as I am.
The best actions almost never yield the best consequences
yoreliter
S1 Hilyn

Postby Alundra » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:16 am

Good idea at the core, maybe difficult to realise though... It's not that easy for 10 people to work at the exact same time, as those would have to be in the same time zone and stuff or not be bothered to work at night (for some :wink: ) But I guess it could be done though...
Still, another good approach might seem to scour the entire vastness of this board for all theories already put there and compile the already gathered knowledge so that a comparison might be done (after those 10 ppl finish playing) between older and newer info.
Just a suggestion...
Alundra
S3 Hilyn

Postby Impossible » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:39 am

Okay, that idea is fucking AWESOME. I think it would contribute massively to theorising and everyone's understanding of The Way. I think it should be done slowly, though... The person in charge would determine a certain amount to be played each night (Friday and Saturday nights being the obvious times more people are available). It seems a bit unrealistic and hard to do, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. And with the new version of The Way, it's realistically possible because battles and such are no longer necessary.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:14 am

Wow, Impy's encouragement, that's a rarity. Though Friday and Saturday's are likely to be the time least available (assume the people doing this actually have social lives) otherwise Sunday would be best because everybody knows people who play computer games do little else on sundays.

Though it would be VERY hard to do, and I think it'd be a a pain when there's the one guy who can't beat that plunge, and they alll have to wait for him until he just decides to cheat anyway and they all ask why he couldn't have done that in the first place.

I don't think it'd be half as productive as it sounds though, all you'd get is the ten people saying at the same time why this particular event supports their own theories. There's a slight vagueness about The Way that supports numerous theories, none of which can be completely proved, so what will the results be? "Us ten agree that the following are possible:"?

I'm not really that bothered, I wouldn't mind seeing the end result, but I wouldn't participate. It's make The Way un-fun having to time my playing schedule around others and continuing at the same pace.

EDIT: After posting this I realised it'd probably just be undertaken as in the "easy" modes. So that might get rid of some difficulty.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:34 am

Though it would be VERY hard to do, and I think it'd be a a pain when there's the one guy who can't beat that plunge, and they alll have to wait for him until he just decides to cheat anyway and they all ask why he couldn't have done that in the first place.

That's why I said the new versions would help, battles, plunges and puzzles will all be skipped.

Sunday sucks, what with it usually being Monday here and me at school, so no.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:50 am

It depends, if you're one of the people who leaves all their work till Sunday then yeah, that'd suck. Though me and my friends usually find ourselves with an obsene abundance of free time on Sundays.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Bryjnar » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:40 am

I think this would be productive, but what this site really needs is a wiki. Too often someone mentions some random character and I can't remember who he is, or where he's referred to, which is sometimes vital. Plus, having all a character's dialogue collected in one place would make it easier to check theories for continuity and suchlike; for exampl, being able to see all the comments people make on the subject of auras, or shadow swords or something. 'Twould be a big project, as the Way is big, but that's why we should use a wiki.
Bryjnar
Plyn

Postby Sarcasm » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:31 am

Thats true, but a lot of information will be missing because people disagree about it.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby yoreliter » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:43 pm

Still, despite the difficulty of gathering 10 people, or maybe less, when playing the game, you only have your own interpretation of what is happening, you only can use th knowledge you carry. But, with more people, you increase the knowledge, and get many different interpretations, so more accurate conclusions are more likely to be found.

Well, I know i am free almost 24/7, since it is summer for me. Anyone else wanna give it a try?
yoreliter
S1 Hilyn

Postby Dew-Drop » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:03 pm

Even though this will probably not make too much of a difference, I'm willing to give it a try. No need to leave a stone unturned after all.
Oh sheep swallop! Sheep swallop and bloody buttered onions!" Matrim Cauthon: The Wheel of Time.
Learn to swear, the WoT way!
Dew-Drop
Wanderer

Postby yoreliter » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:20 pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE 2 PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, I need to go call Requiem and tell him about this.
yoreliter
S1 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:00 pm

I'm willing to try but my dad hates all chat rooms etc.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Noodles » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:36 pm

I'm just about to restart the Way with the new edited version and have RMK2 with working knowledge of how to use it. However I'm not sure what kind of pace I'd want to play through it...

Its no easy task but the people selected should probably have varying theories about the way as it stands at the moment, but also not be so set in their own theories that they are unmoveable.

Maybe as they go along something like a report could be produced at each stage (thus informing and including everyone else on the boards as the players go along, and acting later as a source to produce a wiki like reference site of somekind)
Noodles
Plyn

Postby Impossible » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:30 pm

The Wiki is a significantly less creative idea, but it's probably even better, and I'd be willing to organise that myself. We could compile absolutely everything we know into one place like that. Someone else would have to actually set it up, though, like Lun or Roman.

I would be willing to participate in the joint playing thing, if you do sessions of it during times I'm available... And if I can get The Way to work by then. Everyone would have to be in the IRC channel corresponding at the same time to make sure everyone is always at the same things, and as events are taking place (game in windowed mode), everyone could give their own interpretations and ideas of what is happening... The goal would be to get as many different views as possible and as many different people collaborating... I've found real-time plot discussion of The Way to be extremely revealing and helpful with even two people, with five or ten we would probably be able to work even more out.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:32 pm

This reminds me of the great list of everything I never got around to finishing.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Next

Return to POST-EPISODE 6 Discussion