My theory behind the rolling mists.

=SPOILER ALERT= This is for those people who have FINISHED E6, and wish to discuss theories and stuff. Do NOT use it as a help board.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

My theory behind the rolling mists.

Postby Toolophile » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:04 pm

Never complexify anything more than you need to. That said, I went on a 6 mile hike up a mountain the other day for the first time. I looked around, and the only thing stopping my vision was mist. Think about it, the whole rumor of the rolling mists probably started when one wanderer got really high and saw the mists behind him and ahead of him. The people in The Way could not explain it, and the guided use it as a tool to control the people.
Toolophile
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:51 pm

Well, unless it was a really tall mountain this guy looked off of, the "rumor" of the rolling mists would include the land between the two sets of mists being really small.

I'm still going with the mists just being the shockwave created by the lord below that destroyed Janwen. The one "eye witness" description we have of the mists would fit the description of an aura sucking shockwave just as well. The rolling mists probably aren't even around anymore, the guided just had the only answer to what had destroyed Janwen at the time, so people belived it, and then everything else they made up to keep in power.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Toolophile » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:05 pm

The land need not be more than 30 miles, which I saw up there easily. If you are truly trying to make progress, you'd probably do 10 miles per day, so you would never be able to reach the edge of the mists in one day, and even if you would have been able to, it would have appeared to move forward another 15 miles while the back would have followed you 15.
Toolophile
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:29 pm

Yet to even have a view of the mists would meen you would have to be able to see the forrunners as well.Which you wouldn't, since they don't actually exist, but they don't know that.

Also, the name rolling mists implies they know what regular mist is. And if they know what mist is, then your theory doesn't work.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Noodles » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:22 pm

Theres been a lot of theories about the rolling mist recently... But there is one thing that always doesn't seem to add up, with pretty much all the theories that discredit the mists as not even existing:

How would Gaius know where the end of the way is... and for that matter how would he know where it use to be. I noticed that Gaius never actually states that they are at the end of the way in that last scene, but he definitely says previously where the end of the way use to be.

There are the following explainations
1. he sensed it somehow
2. he'd been there before
3. he knew someone that had been there before and described it to him
4. someone described it to him but was lying
5. Gaius lied to Rhue
6. Gaius was mistaken

With most theories that say the rolling mist is a complete fabrication (including this one), the assumuption is that the end of the way is also non existant... thus it can't be explaination 1, how can you sense something that doesn't exist?

If the rolling mists don't exist there is no clear marker for where the end of the way is. So no one would be able to say for sure "This is the end of the way" unless it was a lie. This discounts explanation 2 and 3... (I bet when you saw that mist from up the top of the mountain, you wouldn't have seen it if you came down and started walking towards where you saw it... You also probably wouldn't be able to describe the furthest point you could see from up that mountain either).

And so that leaves it with the last 3 explanations, none of which I like... number 4 assumes that Gaius was duped by any old guy who said "This is what the end of the way looks like..."... funily enough this is the most believeable of the remaining three in my book, if the person was perhaps Tetzel.

For explanation 5, you have to ask why Gaius would bother lying to Rhue about something trival like where the end of the way use to be... and for explanation 6 you have to wander what it was that lead Gaius to believe they were at the end of the way if he was wrong..
Noodles
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:16 pm

Its simple. If the mists really do exist, then every spot used to be the end of the way, seeing how the mists are always moving farther, so while that spot may have not been the end of a very long time, it still used to be the end.

If the mists dont exist, he could meen that the place used to be concidered the end of the way, until someone actually explored it and found out it wasn't.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Noodles » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:43 am

If the mists dont exist, he could meen that the place used to be concidered the end of the way, until someone actually explored it and found out it wasn't.

But how can a place even be consider the end of the way if no ones ever been there before? There wouldn't even be a map for someone to randomly point at a location and declare that to be the end of the way.
Noodles
Plyn

Postby Sarcasm » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:43 am

I have to agree with Sage of the Wise on this, no offense but his logic is much more sound.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Noodles » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:17 am

Well I'm not offering a counter theory here... I simply am asking a geniue question: How did Gaius know where the end of the way is/was if no ones been there before and if he can't see any mists there?

At the moment from what Sage said, this is what would have had to have occured if the rolling mists don't exist:

1. Person 1 specifies the location of the end of the way, seems there is no maps of the area and because no one has actually been there it would have had to have been described as a cave and/or a description given of how someone would get there...

2. A little later on Person 2 (or maybe person 1) actually follows the original directions to this locations... Miracously there is such a place as was foretold by person 1, but it hasn't got mist anywhere near it.

3. The conclusion is reached that the rolling mists aren't there because the end of the way has moved forwards, instead of attempting to track it forwards person 2 then travels a great distance backwards through the way, until he reaches people which he can inform that the end of the way has now moved...

4. Gaius hears of this while traveling forwards through the way either by word of mouth or directly from person 2

Correct me if thats not what you believe...

At the moment, this reasoning leaves loop holes. Hopefully you can see them too as you look at the four step process above.

(ps.

If the mists really do exist, then every spot used to be the end of the way, seeing how the mists are always moving farther, so while that spot may have not been the end of a very long time, it still used to be the end.

I find this to be a reasonable conclusion. It would mean that Gaius knowing of the location of the end of the way, is a big point in favour of the rolling mists existing in some way, shape or form)
Noodles
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:17 am

Well, people used to believe the world was flat, and that if you sailed far enough, you'd reach the end of the world. At Some point someone went there and found out it wasn't the end of the world. Same idea can apply to the mists.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Noodles » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:32 am

Perhaps they could make that assumption about the rolling mist, but the end of the way is a specific location which people must have at least seen considering Gaius knew where it was...

Its difficult to believe that someone guessed the location of the end of the way in detail like people used to guess the world was flat in real life
Noodles
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:41 am

The problem is how could there be an end of the way if there are no mists. Now, Gaius can be as cryptic as Fwacho, so there could be any number of explanations to what he ment, but I just can't think of a good reason to what he said.

Which makes the theory that the mists do exist more likely. Which is Ironic, since I don't think they do.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Alundra » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:50 am

hey guys!
I recently came up with something.
I'm writing the screenplay for an amateur movie project for a friend of mine, and it's called Fall (enter shameless advertising for a stupid project).
Anyway, it's a very complex tale in which the main character goes on a quest to find his way out of the world in which he just woke up. Having fading memories of a world similar to our own, maybe even our own earth... he now lies in a forest with only a ruin of his own apartment and motorcycle...
The more he uncovers, the more the boundaries between dreams, afterlife or just being characters in a story fade, existensialism and the will to live are heavily explored and the ending of the tale is just as confusing as it is confronting... Much like the way.
And though it resembles parts of the way, it's very different at that.
Yet I wrote up things like the seams of the worlds and the world's navel.
And with writing that, somehow I might have an answer or something to ponder about...
In Fall, the seams of the world are similar to the end of the way. The seams are where two parts of land end and meet eachother, with a small but very very deep chasm running trough them, from one side of the horizon to the other (so probably all around Fall). These chasms can be jumped over, but they are as illusive as they are in fact real. None actually know where they are, for they tend to 'move' often.
Now what's the deal with them? When a new 'character' enters Fall, a part of his own memories and life take form in a very physical way, and it is sewn into the existing world as an 'addition'. Much like a part of cloth being sewn into a pair of pants to make it larger... That's why there's no 'exact' location of the seams in the first place.
:arrow: Maybe the end of the way is something ... 'similar'?
Might be stupid and seem like ripoff to some of you, but I can assure you all, that the story is totally different and a lot more gory and cynical then the way... (also a lot more 'earth' like, not running around with swords and magic and stuff.)
So feel free to ponder or just flame this post as usual :wink:
Alundra
S3 Hilyn

Postby Bobbias » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:47 pm

Maybe the way in fact repeats itself somehow, maybe the mists themselves are fake, but the end of the way is constantly moving forward and the location that it "wraps" back to is constantly moving forward, though the actual plane of existence need not be destroyed when the end of the way moves further. This does not account for the creation (fabrication?) of the rolling mists, but it does account for the end of the way appearing as the landoran stretch.

Maybe the Rolling Mists are the shock wave of Jenwan's destruction...

In any case, a logical representation of my interpretation follows:

Either
1 The end of the way is constantly moving and "wraps" like previously theorized.
2 The end of the way truly is the actual end to the way (which does not account for them ending up in the landoran stretch)
3 there is no end, and Gaius was mistaken for 1 of 2 reasons: He was lied to, or he simply didn't know that there was more to the way.

I'm too tired to continue this, but I'll add more replies later.
Bobbias
Wanderer

Postby Sling » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:41 am

The end of the way is constantly moving and "wraps" like previously theorized.
Wow, it took a whole topic to realise this.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Return to POST-EPISODE 6 Discussion