Theory about the Phantom Slasher

=SPOILER ALERT= This is for those people who have FINISHED E6, and wish to discuss theories and stuff. Do NOT use it as a help board.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby MusashiEX » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:17 pm

We should make a time line.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby The Owl » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:28 pm

Sage Of The Wise wrote:The problem is Jeruh says at some point he lost the sword, after which he changed his name to Rhue. This is why he still ages and is older when killed by Rhue. Jeruh doesn't have a shadow sword during that fight, which is shown by a: he gets his ass kicked in the fight and b: Rhue doesn't spontaneously knock Jeruhs sword into the sky like every other shadow sword he encounters.

Fair enough. Let's suppose Jeruh did the massacre with Rhue's shadow sword. He keeps it for a few years, then loses it. Wouldn't he then immediately start searching for it again? In every situation we see Rhue seperated from his sword, the only thought in his head is to get it back. When Kloe knocks him out at the end of Episode 2, Rhue's thoughts at the time of waking up go something like: 1) What happened? 2) I hate Kloe. 3) Where's my sword? Even after Slade busts him out, Rhue insists that no other sword will do, that he needs HIS sword. He's like a junkie in need of his fix.

I mention this to illustrate that if the pull the shadow sword had on Jeruh was even half as strong as its hold on Rhue, Jeruh would never rest until he had the sword back. Even if he lost the sword in a situation where he was not killed in the process (let's say he was just knocked out and his possessions were taken), the first though in his mind would have to be purusuing the thief and getting his sword back. Even if we grant that Jeruh didn't age for a few years when he had the shadow sword, then he lost it and aged naturally for a few years before Midian-Rhue killed him, unless the shadow sword's hold weakens over time when the owner is not in close proximity to it, there is no way Jeruh would not attempt to get it back any way he could.

I don't say this to say I necessarily disagree that Jeruh might have done the Landorin Massacre with Rhue's shadow sword, because I see your logic and how it could work. I'm just not certain that it did happen that way.

Something I noticed while playing through again recently - in Episode 3, immediately after being knocked into the pits, Rhue has a flashback to the night of the massacre. In it, he is out in the rain looking for Jeruh and Lyrra. When he talks to Lyrra, there is a distinctly parental tone to his words - he's very concerned about what happened to Jeruh and the other children. This brings to my mind a thought: Could Rhue be Lyrra and Jeruh's father? They look very similar, after all; all three share the same hair color and (I believe, not sure in Jeruh's case) eye color. Of course, if this were true, it brings to mind another set of questions, beginning with why doesn't Lyrra recognize Rhue when they meet in Episode 1? Again, I'm not saying this is definitely true or not, only that it's a possibility.

Also, I second the time line idea.
The Owl
Wanderer

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:20 pm

Wouldn't he then immediately start searching for it again?

Who says he didn't?

Also, Jeruh couldn't have had the sword for a very long time, due to his ageing. Rhue had the sword for ages. Its possible Jeruh didn't become super dependant on the sword in the time he had it. Maby it has to do with how Jeruh "lost" it. In DE he doesn't remember at all what happend, just that at some point it was gone.

I don't really believe one way or another on 'Jeruh's sword is Rhue's sword' theory. Both ways seem to work. If you agree with it, it answers some of the games questions, but on the other side theres no reason for it to be the same sword and seems much more reasonable to be a different one.

And on your last bit, hes reliving Jed's memory. Thats where the paternal thing comes in.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Toolophile » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:00 am

Sling wrote:I have a question. If a Shadow Sword wielder racks up insane pwnage and someone else gets hold of the Sword later on, does the orginal owner retain all the auras etc or does it pass on with the sword?

That kinda happened in the series.. And Rhue drops everything he's doing to get his sword. I think the swords form symbiotic relationships with their wielders.
Toolophile
Plyn

Postby Sling » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:55 am

The sword chooses it's wielder kinda thing? Hmm...
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Tactician Czanos » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:09 pm

Okay, so here's an idea I had while reading this. Two, actually.

Say that after Rhue wakes up from changing auras, he heads after Jeruh, and when he gets close to him, the PS arranges for Jeruh to "lose" his sword, so that Rhue can get it back, as the PS realizes Rhue's capacity to aid it in it's goals. Jeruh loses the sword, Rhue finds it, and everybody's happy.

Of course, now that I read it, it sounds half like I'm just making connections with no evidence, but it seems logical, if you follow the theory.

As for my other theory, perhaps when Rhue shifts auras there are two types of shift. One, where the PS decides that an aura it found has qualities it wants to use, which happens relatively fast, and a shift when the aura it's using collapses. This would take more time, as a new dominant aura would have to be found and joined to the soul/body.

Other than that, I think Owl's post about summed up what my thoughts are, so good job Owl.
Tactician Czanos
Wanderer

Postby HolsteinCow » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:41 am

What if Jeruh wielded Arctura? If Shadow Swords absorb auras, the Illuminati probably have the opposite effect; they 'push' auras away.

Let's say that before the game, Jeruh and Venge(wielding the Phantom Slasher) got in a fight. Venge swings, Jeruh tries to block but the Shadow Sword breaks Arctura. The Slasher would probably absorb Arctura's soul at that point, but Arctura is an Illuminati; absorbing something that would separate the Phantom Slasher from the thousands of souls it claimed over the years would be akin to playing Russian Roulette with an automatic pistol.

So Arctura enters the Phantom Slasher (Dream Janwen?) and promptly evicts everyone, including the soul of the Phantom Slasher itself, who spends the rest of it's days wandering around the Way, killing people.

This doesn't explain how Jeruh was absorbed into the sword and became Rhue, or why you found Midian in Dream Estrana, but I still think it's a cool theory. <8)>
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." (Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio)
HolsteinCow
S5 Hilyn

Previous

Return to POST-EPISODE 6 Discussion