Theory about the Phantom Slasher

=SPOILER ALERT= This is for those people who have FINISHED E6, and wish to discuss theories and stuff. Do NOT use it as a help board.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Angel_OA » Fri May 18, 2007 2:50 am

JLAF wrote:There really were no plot twists.

Come again?

JLAF wrote:Even Serena being dead is something I think many of us really knew but didn't want to believe.

To be honest I thought that he might have already met Serena but didn't recognise her as an adult.

MusashiEx wrote:As for evidence, the game is about finding a girl. And there's character in the last episode who's name is the Girl.

I suppose it could be like the 'getting the girl' idea in some movies. I never looked at it that way before.
From what my barber told me, I now knew that nothing was real.
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby JLAF » Fri May 18, 2007 9:26 pm

Before anyone says anything this is a separate discussion from the one I was having with MusashiEX about The Girl's identity, so I'm not going against what I said.

Angel_OA wrote:
JLAF wrote:There really were no plot twists.

Come again?
To be honest I thought that he might have already met Serena but didn't recognise her as an adult.

I should mention that I was using the phrase "plot twists" to mean an outcome different than the one you expected. I know this isn't entirely correct, but I couldn't think of the right words to use. Sorry for the lack of clarity. If you still disagree, read on. If not, it'll waste your time.

----------

Looking back on things, I think everything that happened was foreshadowed for a very long time before hand, and I honestly feel that if I had approached everything in the most logical manner I would have never been thrown for a loop. Really the only time I was surprised was when I found Serena was dead, but I really feel that I just didn't want her to be dead, much like Rhue did... or didn't... whatever you know what I mean...
She was attached my monsters which caused a legendary massacre, and thrown into the rapids of a river (according to Rhue). That enough should kill her. Then we kind her pendent was covered in blood? Totally dead.
But I, like you, looked for her in the people Rhue met. I was convinced it was either Kloe and Scatha. Turned out it was just the most logical choice.

The only other things that come to mind as plot twists are Cetsa having the pendent Serena. Which, while it changed the direction, never really convinced me that her was Serena. Then Cetsa saying she was Serena, which was equally unbelievable. Scatha revealing Cetsa, and then Cetsa admitting that he's not Serena, which didn't come as a shock either.
All of these were totally logical things, and really seemed to just flow like they should.
Events like the destruction of Estrana changed the derection of the plot, but it didn't really come as any kind of shock. And the deaths of e5 were interesting, but has virtually no effect on the plot and still weren't really shocking. Once again, it all flowed Nicol.
I'm not giving you my signature!
JLAF
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri May 18, 2007 10:18 pm

JLAF wrote:
Sage Of The Wise wrote:You have to assume way to much for that theory to work though.
I have to assume no more than you have to assume when you say that you get the auras of someone's shadow sword when you kill them.

What? My theory has no assumptions, all of it is based off evidence from the game. You start yours off with "Assume this, this, this, and this."

The girl has no name the emphasize her. If the Lun can be the Phantom, the girl can easily be someone else Lun know. The picture piece being in her room has to represent that connection in some way if thats true (See, thats an assumption).

And I'm not even going to touch JLAFs post on how predictable the game was.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Sat May 19, 2007 11:47 am

Use Baye's Theorem, not Logic...
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby JLAF » Sat May 19, 2007 5:10 pm

Sage Of The Wise wrote:
JLAF wrote:I have to assume no more than you have to assume when you say that you get the auras of someone's shadow sword when you kill them.
What? My theory has no assumptions, all of it is based off evidence from the game.
You assumed that when you kill someone with a shadow sword you get ANY auras at all.
I know we're told that a shadow sword wielder will absorb the aura of anyone around him who dies, but I have a theory that it's not the person's death that matters, but rather the fact that the aura is no longer bound to anything.
We can observe this in e4 when Cade has his aura removed while still alive. We know he's not dead because we saw someone who'd taken the formula and lived alive as a kind of a zombie. Because Cade's aura is absorbed without him dying, we can conclude that death isn't the determining factor, and the only other one I can think of is the fact that the aura is no longer bound. If you can think of something else please tell me.
If the auras a shadow sword absorbs are bound to the shadow sword, as opposed to the wielder, killing the wielder of a sword really shouldn't give you any auras because the auras are still bound to something. And we KNOW that the auras are bound to the sword from this convo:
Red Woman wrote:Shadow Swords strongly bind themselves to the natural, or as some say, the original aura, of the one who possesses them.
The bonds become stronger and more intertwined the longer they remain.
However, as the sword absorbs other auras, it binds itself to them as well.

So, we can conclude then when you kill a shadow sword wielder the auras remain with the sword.

--------------------------------------------

Sage Of The Wise wrote:You start yours off with "Assume this, this, this, and this."

I assumed three things at the start, and then stated why I thought they were true afterwards to keep it more organized. I have no idea why I thought that would be a more organized way of doing it... The three things I assumed were:
The Girl is Serena- The hair color, Rhue's attraction to her (this can be seen by the fact that she's part of the Landorin Massacre in the reaches ending), the fact that in the normal ending in the editor Serena is called "Girl," and her lack of a name definitely implies there's something funky about her.
You don't get the aura's of someone else's shadow sword when you kill them.- I already explained this.
The protagonist Rhue is the Kura that Kava knew- I hardly think I need to tell you the evidence for this... but just in case:
  • Kavax calls Rhue Kura.
  • Celestria thinks Rhue's normal clothes are a Kura outfit (meaning they probably look just like what Kura wore)
  • The Guided came was destroyed by what some call Kava's ghost, implying that there was a shadow sword near Kava's death.
  • The witch from the Twisted Forest build the first grave for Rhue (if lun didn't simply temporarily lose all his game making skill and she really is Luma this is evidence... kinda a stretch I know.)
There's more but I'm sure you know it already anyway.

If I'm right about these three things, my theory is basically proved (since there's no other way Serena's aura could be in dream Estrana). Even if these arn't all true, it's still possible... but there's no reason to think it happened. However, I would like to point out that it's not as inconceivable as it may seem for Rhue to lose the sword to Jeruh and then get it back. Let me explain:
Rhue killed someone near the Landorin Massacre. At this point he starts to change auras. Jeruh comes up. This explains why one guy is dead and the other is silent. Jeruh then does the massacre thing. Rhue wakes up, and wants his sword (since he's like that). Rhue then hunts down Jeruh and gets the sword back fairly easily (since he's a lot bigger).

--------------------------------------------

Sage Of The Wise wrote:The girl has no name the emphasize her.
I honestly have no idea what your saying here. Maybe I just suck at English... Did you mean "to emphasize her?" Because she's only called "The Girl" in the editor remember. So it actually makes her stick out less while you're playing through the game. (That's what it did for my anyway.)

Sage Of The Wise wrote:If the Lun can be the Phantom, the girl can easily be someone else Lun know.
But the Phantom is part of a cameo side-quest. The girl is not.

Sage Of The Wise wrote:The picture piece being in her room has to represent that connection in some way if thats true (See, thats an assumption).
I can see your point here, but it's still not enough evidence. I think it's more likely that it's a reference to Rhue's heart being dominated by Serena.

Sling wrote:Use Baye's Theorem, not Logic...
That's kinda hard to do since I don't have any numerical probabilities.
JLAF
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Sun May 20, 2007 4:03 pm

Dude, I was joking... I was just pointing out how using inductive logic alone isn't very effective.

I seriously doubt The Girl is Serena. Why does The Girl have to be Serena? Rhue's story is over right? But other people's stories will continue. So The Girl could very well be a totally different character pivotal in any possible future installments of The Way.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Sun May 20, 2007 4:07 pm

That's a good idea.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby JLAF » Sun May 20, 2007 7:33 pm

Humm.. Well, fwacho did say the next episode would follow a younger Dirk... Perhaps The Girl knew Dirk or something. I still think she's Serena though.
JLAF
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon May 21, 2007 3:25 pm

JLAF, I'm not sure what your arguing about any more. None of your points if true disprove my theory at all. If you really need me to explain them all I will, but otherwise I don't see the point.

I assumed three things at the start, and then stated why I thought they were true afterwards to keep it more organized.

What I'm getting at is the difference between basing theories off facts and basing them off other theories. Your theory is much stronger when its based off things we know instead of more theorys.

I honestly have no idea what your saying here. Maybe I just suck at English... Did you mean "to emphasize her?" Because she's only called "The Girl" in the editor remember. So it actually makes her stick out less while you're playing through the game. (That's what it did for my anyway.)

Its goes like this. If the girl had no name we wouldn't care about her. But the girl has no name, there must be a reason the girl has no name. Lun has put emphasis on the girl that wouldn't have otherwise been there. Maby the girls name isn't said because the it would be a twist. Logically, the only name that it could be under that theory is Serena. But it takes alot of explanations and theories for that to work, while there are other theories that don't take as much to explain. And lets not forget our friend the red herring.

Which proves what exactly?

Humm.. Well, fwacho did say the next episode would follow a younger Dirk... Perhaps The Girl knew Dirk or something. I still think she's Serena though.

He made a guess that the next Way related work would be centered around Dirk, just to clarify before people start wondering where this came from.
Fwacho wrote:Dirk has a sweet backstory. In fact, I believe the next "The Way" related thing would be somethign to do with that. Let's just say A LOT of brain storming has been done that direction. P.S. dirk has changed alot over the years. I hope that's not too much.... delete this if you must Lun.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Angel_OA » Tue May 22, 2007 9:21 am

Sling wrote:The Girl could very well be a totally different character pivotal in any possible future installments of The Way.

Posible. But all throughout the series Lun hides information from us so we have to put it together ourselves. I would have thought this to be a textbook example of that.
From what my barber told me, I now knew that nothing was real.
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Tue May 22, 2007 12:54 pm

That is the beaty of Lun, he's a brilliant bastard.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby JLAF » Tue May 22, 2007 10:08 pm

Sage Of The Wise wrote:JLAF, I'm not sure what your arguing about any more. None of your points if true disprove my theory at all. If you really need me to explain them all I will, but otherwise I don't see the point.
Right. I forgot to proof read that post for clarity. And I make no sense when I don't do that. Especially when they're written at 2 am. I'll fix that up later (too sleepy right now). Sorry about that.

Sage Of The Wise wrote:
I assumed three things at the start, and then stated why I thought they were true afterwards to keep it more organized.

What I'm getting at is the difference between basing theories off facts and basing them off other theories. Your theory is much stronger when its based off things we know instead of more theorys.
I'm aware. I actually had a decent amount of facts in there, but they kinda got lost in my mindless-ness. Sorry about that.

Sage Of The Wise wrote:

Its goes like this. If the girl had no name we wouldn't care about her. But the girl has no name, there must be a reason the girl has no name. Lun has put emphasis on the girl that wouldn't have otherwise been there. Maby the girls name isn't said because the it would be a twist. Logically, the only name that it could be under that theory is Serena. But it takes alot of explanations and theories for that to work, while there are other theories that don't take as much to explain. And lets not forget our friend the red herring.
Ah... I see what you're saying.

Sage Of The Wise wrote:

Which proves what exactly?
Well... A cameo in a cameo quest is nothing special. So lun being the phantom wouldn't be odd at all. However, outside the cameo quest, we only see the one "Cocoa was here" cameo. So if he'd kept all the definite cameos to side quests and extras, I wouldn't think he'd throw a cameo in as a major character. It doesn't prove anything I suppose. But it just would seem odd if he used a cameo for a main character.
JLAF
S2 Hilyn

Postby MusashiEX » Wed May 23, 2007 9:37 am

Maybe he's modest and doesn't want to give himself a big part. He might want the Girl to have a bigger part because she's an important part of his life. If I were to do something like The Way, I'd make people I know and have affected me be more important than me. Of course, I won't do something like The Way.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Wed May 23, 2007 11:45 am

If this topic turns into people promoting their RPG's I'm going to go on a killing spree.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed May 23, 2007 1:53 pm

I wouldn't call her a major character. The only thing of any importance involving her is the intentional lack of name.

Hell, maby Lun was just out of good names and decided it wasnt important enough to worry about.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

PreviousNext

Return to POST-EPISODE 6 Discussion