Help me with underwater 'Pac-Man'mini-game [spoilers likely]

FORUM FOR THOSE WHO NEED HELP WITH PLAYING THROUGH EPISODE 6. AVOID SPOILERS IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. POST BUGS IN THE BUG FORUM

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Help me with underwater 'Pac-Man'mini-game [spoilers likely]

Postby Exlor » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:27 am

Hello forumers,

I have been playing Ep6 for a while now, and I've come across a minigame that is almost IMPOSSIBLE to complete.

Its that underground, underwater game that looks a bit like Pac-Man. But the monsters are SUPERFAST. I am having a lot of problems completing this!!!

Please, I have wasted an hour of my life trying it and I really can't do it! I want to hear some tips or strategies that you could use to get past this. If I am really exhausted and desperate, I would have to ask around for someone to receive my savegame and complete the challenge for me... But I hope it won't come that far.

Here's a screenshot so you'll know which mini-game I'm talking about:

Exlor
Wanderer

Postby Burning_Flame » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:42 pm

Just read Jabbo's Walkthrough
Burning_Flame
S2 Corlyn

Postby Jabbo » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:31 pm

Actually, my walkthrough isn't all that amazingly helpful for this minigame. I need to make it a tad more descriptive...

((Copied and pasted from another post)):

This isn't much of a foolproof strategy, but it kinda helps. There are four switches each controlling the four gates around them, and these main four switches are arranged in a diamond, which you start at the bottom of.
..X..

You start at the X.

At the very beginning, swim up, ignore the first set of switches you come to (set 4), and activate either set 2 or set 3 as quickly as possible. Then, again as quickly as possible, open up the one of the side gates and activate the other so that both set 2 and set 3 are activated. Then go back and activate set 4. From there, it's basically luck. Swim off to the side to lure the monsters away from the center, and they probably won't come straight at you when you open up one of the uppermost gates to swim up farther. The remaining sets of switches above you are pretty much worthless (you'll be dead if you were going to die), but you can activate them if you want.
The Way FAQ (Now updated, more or less, for Episode 6)
Jabbo
S2 Hilyn

Postby Miss Nothingness Highness » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:54 pm

or what you could (ironically) is swim to one of the middle gates and press the middle button so you are closed in, and as soon they surround you and gather at one spot leave through the spot thats that surrounded (left or right path) and stay to the side and you should make it through if you do it JUST right. XD thats how it worked for me, most annoying mini game ever
Don't speak just die
Miss Nothingness Highness
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:54 pm

Well, if you can beat that, you'll be real close to completing probably the most important side quest.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Violent_Paradan » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:20 pm

I found it to be insane, but beatable. An overall -1 to any notion of replaying the game.
Violent_Paradan
Plyn

Postby Aegis » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:56 am

Uhhh.. I beat it with the control key... :oops:
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

<Jeramyu> I'm going to mistranslate our own anime, and piss ourselves off.
Aegis
S3 Hilyn

Postby Spyke10k » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:19 pm

The strategy I used was to swim towards furthest gate area. The one that leads to a long windy corridor that u-turns kinda out; wait 2 seconds then swim to the opposite one. Usually I get one enemy to follow initially. I lock the gate and try to get the other two to gather there. Accomplishing that I circle up and toward the middle of the corridor pinning them near that niche as they try to follow. Then quickly swim to the other gate and get to the exit as fast as possible. It seems to work well. Hard to describe without a picture though.
Spyke10k
Plyn

help needed

Postby dahan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:20 pm

as with the other person, i have also tried and tried and tried to get through this underwater section with the 'sharks', but with no luck. can anyone help by either providing a save file that has passed this section or can, if I send my save file take it past this point so I get to Lexus.

many thanks to anyone that can help.
dahan
Wanderer

Postby fwacho » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:52 am

I spen t two hours on that mini game. I finlly was able to ge tthe shapes to go aroud to my right then I swam left then up fo rmy life. hardest mini game other than teh power switch one just before it.
"psst hey buddy... you wanna buy my book?"
fwacho
S3 Hilyn

Postby Exlor » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:53 pm

This is how I have done it, and its pretty easy and fast:

When you enter the area, immediately run to a set of buttons on the left or the right side. For example, you can take the top left or the top right 'set' on the screenshot, or if you are fast, take the set above it. When you're in a set, lock yourself in with the middle button. Those monsters will probably be surrounding you by now.

Here's the key: just stay as south as possible in your 'cage'. You are locked out from the north, south, east and west. Just stay as down as possible. The fish will eventually be either at the left, or the right side of your cage. When they are, quickly run up and open the front gate, and RUN straight north to the middle and press the button as fast as possible at the entrance at the north. I think this plan works quite easily.
Exlor
Wanderer

Postby Spyke10k » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:14 pm

That's what I tried to explain. That strategy makes it way easier than any other. Those things are too fast to out run.
Spyke10k
Plyn

Postby Aegis » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:17 am

fwacho wrote:I spen t two hours on that mini game. I finlly was able to ge tthe shapes to go aroud to my right then I swam left then up fo rmy life. hardest mini game other than teh power switch one just before it.

I actually loved the power-switch minigame. Even though it was hard, it was pretty sweet. The flying thing minigame is MUCH harder, and I had to cheat to pass.
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

<Jeramyu> I'm going to mistranslate our own anime, and piss ourselves off.
Aegis
S3 Hilyn

Postby AznChipmunk » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:23 pm

Simple:

At the start, push the button right away. Swim up, then right, then up to the highest switch sets. Push them to be safe. Stay in the cage, waiting for the beasts to move around 'til they go south of you, then quickly push the top button and swim up. Then push the switch to open the gate at the end and the other to close the gate behind you.

Easy.
AznChipmunk
S2 Hilyn

Return to EPISODE 6 HELP FORUM