Walking the Way backwards

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Walking the Way backwards

Postby Spinxa » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:32 am

Yes, it is yet another theory I have conjured up from the deepest pits of the reaches, but this time its actually good.
We all know The Guided can't stand people settling on one place along "The Way" ad never moving forward... but what if someone was to travel along the Way backwards?

The Way is an interesting and mysterious concept - but has anyone really considered which direction Rhue was travelling along the way?
What if the way was actually symbolic to time itself?
(Eg Past----------------->Present---------------------->Future)
Could someone walk forwards on the way, commit a mistake and then walk backwards on it and undo the said mistake?

Perhaps Rhue himself is walking BACKWARDS on the way. This is probably not the case however because Gauis did indeed say that Rhue was standing on a place that was where the END of the way used to be... but what about the beginning of the way?
It is said in the wanderer's guidebook that it is believed whomever reaches the end of the way will become all powerful (I know, this might not necessarilly be true) but what would happen if someone were to walk backwards to the beginning of the way?

What is the guided's position on walking backwards along the way?
Can you actually walk backwards on the way or is any direction you walk along the way forwards?
Did Rhue travel BACKWARDS along the way and thta is why he reached the place in his past in which Serena was knocked into the river? (IF this wasn't a figment of his imagination)
And when Gauis said that Rhue was standing where the end of the way USED to be could this refer to the past and walking backwards on the way?
Are there two ends of the Way: one at the start and the other at the beginning?

Post a reply and tell me what you think about my theory.

And by the way, does anyone think Lun should tell us the name of Episode 6 of the Way (The title such as "Everyone must bleed" for Episode 5) before he releases it just as a bone to throw to us?
ImageImageImage
Spinxa
Plyn

Postby Impossible » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:38 am

I have no idea why Lun won't reveal the name of E6, like he did with Everyone Must Bleed - there are honestly no spoilers or clues in the title... In fact, to a lot of people, the title will be familiar as soon as they see it (or already was when they saw it), it's not something entirely new. I guess Lun might not want to give it relevance until the game comes out... But I don't really understand the reason.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Telephalsion » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:47 am

rhue gets the sex he needs
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Ohtaryon » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:35 am

What do you mean perhaps? Rhue is walking the Way backwards. He starts off at the newly founded Three Trees settlement... then as he goes on he keeps finding larger, complex, and far older settlements. Older means it's been there longer. The longer it's been there, the sooner the mists will cover it up. He is literally heading towards the "back end" of the Way, supposedly where the fog will supposedly cover up what has been built.
Ohtaryon
Plyn

Postby Telephalsion » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:01 pm

actually, you have to ask yourself why someone would make a new settlment in the backcountry of the way (as traziun said it was) and why a large city as estrana is so close to the end of the way...

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Asra » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:15 pm

Do I really need to ask myself that? Hmm well that would actually make sense for your "Oh crap hes walking backwards" theory. Wanderers must be some pretty tough people though to make it so far along the way in such huge groups and then randomly plopping out a city so close to where the end of the way used to be. Really makes you think, or not.
Asra
S2 Hilyn

Postby fwacho » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:39 am

Telephalsion wrote:actually, you have to ask yourself why someone would make a new settlment in the backcountry of the way (as traziun said it was) and why a large city as estrana is so close to the end of the way...

good questions indeed
"psst hey buddy... you wanna buy my book?"
fwacho
S3 Hilyn

Postby Telephalsion » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:18 am

Unless estrana was built by forerunners, or maybe the forerunners of the forerunners O_o

And that small town was just a little campsite, perhaps a deserted one at that. Lide was however a pretty established town, and it was very close to "three trees"... makes ya wonder

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby War » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:41 pm

Then there is the fact of all those battle grounds made by the Blood Lyn. They seem pretty nice. There is also that huge fort were Traz fought in.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Haapa » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:45 pm

What if The Way is actually circular, so people have to keep walking for ever.
And everything people think have been done by the forerunners are actually built by their ancestor when they passed a place the last time.
This would make it hard to be an End of the Way though. But maybe the end of the way can move. A little far fetched perhaps, but Gaius did say "it used to be here" so it has to move.
Antarctica is.
Haapa
Wanderer

Postby nightshadow » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:46 am

Has anyone considered the possibility that Tetzel let Estrana be because he didn't want anyone to find out The Way is cyclic?
Fading into the night,
The scourge of fear, the blight.
Upon this land beneath the sky.
Echoes of the past decry.
---
*fill in the blanks*
*fill in the blanks*

In that a lost love carried on
The words to a lonely song.
---
*fill in the blanks*
*fill in the blanks*

Yes, everyone must surely bleed!
That is what I had decreed.
---
*fill in the blanks*
*fill in the blanks*

Some Lies indeed hide everything,
But the Truth will hide nothing.
nightshadow
Plyn

Postby Telephalsion » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:50 am

that might true, consider it. if nobody had stopped at estrana someone would have gotten to the end of the way. and I'm sure tetzel had people killing wanderers getting close to the end of the way... right?

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Poenaensis » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:20 pm

What if The Way is actually circular, so people have to keep walking for ever.
And everything people think have been done by the forerunners are actually built by their ancestor when they passed a place the last time.
This would make it hard to be an End of the Way though. But maybe the end of the way can move. A little far fetched perhaps, but Gaius did say "it used to be here" so it has to move.

I think this is correct, I've thought about it since I first started playing. The rolling mists travel round, killing/destroying/just passing by, new gound is revealed at the front of the Way and old ground covered up. Unless someone really powered round it, they would never find out. If rhue had lived for a long time, there's no reason why his subconcious shouldn't remember the place.
"Mum, Grandad says he cant get his bottom set of false teeth out."

"Don, are you all right?"

"I can't get my teeth out"

"that's cause they're real"
-----------------------------------------

Grandad's mind gave up on boxing day, to late to get him new one for Christmas, he'll have to wait till his birthday now.
Poenaensis
S2 Hilyn

Postby Bluefire » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:48 pm

I think the way has no end- it simply keeps going. Take the univerese, for example. Maybe the way is like that, going on forever, or maybe it will be destroyed in something similar to the Big Crunch.
Bluefire
Wanderer

Postby fwacho » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:20 am

Bluefire wrote:I think the way has no end- it simply keeps going. Take the univerese, for example. Maybe the way is like that, going on forever, or maybe it will be destroyed in something similar to the Big Crunch.

current research (it changes all teh tiem so don't put to much stock in this, it is science after all) is that the universe is continaully expanding and more likely will experience anevenutall partical soup after acouple trillion years.
"psst hey buddy... you wanna buy my book?"
fwacho
S3 Hilyn

Next

Return to Estrana